NOD32 v3 running two scans with only one scheduled????

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

I turned on my computer a little before 8 tonight, knowing it has a scheduled scan at 8, so I didn't sit down to use it until about 8:45, and I heard the hard drive going nuts, and I thought, there is no way it's still running a scan, it usually takes about 30 minutes, give or take, so I opened the task manager to see what was running like that, and it was NOD, so I opened the scan window, and it showed 2 scans running at the same time. It didn't do that last friday, and I've never seen this, so just wondering if anyone has had this happen, and do you know why? Here is what I saw
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/metalliholic06/esetscaninfo.jpg

Here is my scheduler page, just so you can see I don't have 2 scheduled scans by mistake, or anything like that
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/metalliholic06/esetscaninfo2.jpg

Maybe it just freaked out.......seems kind of strange though. My wifes computer just started it's scheduled scan about 15 minutes ago, and it's only showing one, like it should. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. acillatem

Soooooo, no one has ever seen this, or has any idea whyo_O?

3. dannyeluciane

dannyeluciane Registered Member

acillatem,
    I was having the same problem. I uninstalled Nod32 and reinstalled it and it fixed the problem. Now it only does the 1 scheduled scan instead of 2.

Danny.

4. Valdeam

Valdeam Registered Member

I had the same problem as well. I actually did a system restore and it helped.

Valdeam

5. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello acillatem,

Does it continue to happen?

Can you post a screen shot of the "Show task details"?

Thank you,
    Richard

6. acillatem

Well, it's set to scan friday night, so I don't know yet. I did a manual scan a few minutes ago and it started 2 scans again. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall it like the the one person did, and see what happens.

7. acillatem

Update: I uninstalled it, and even went in and removed any and all traces of the program, and reinstalled it, and so far so good. Just ran one scan last time, as it should.

8. acillatem

Another update: Tonight's scheduled scan started 2 scans again........one finished in 31 minutes, and the other one finishing in 59 minutes......why the hell is this program doing this? It didn't do it last week. Anyone else having this problem?

9. acillatem

Yes, it happened again, even after uninstalling it and reinstalling it. My wife is using the exact same program on her computer, with the same settings, and hers does one scan every week, not two. Mine was fine last week, but not tonight. Here is a screen shot
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/metalliholic06/NOD32taskdetails.jpg
    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

10. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

The scheduler is apparently broken. I have another post where the scheduler is not working right. It's running a task hourly which was set to run once 6 months ago. On many machines. This includes the latest 3.0.684 build.

11. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello acillatem,

I noticed from the screen shot that the task is set to run as soon as possible if it is not run at the specified time. Try setting that to wait until next time.

Thank you,
    Richard

12. acillatem

I'll try that, but I shouldn't have to. I had it set the same way with v2.7, and never had a problem. I should be able to use any option that is available. Also, my wife uses the same exact settings on her computer, and hers hasn't run 2 scans.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  13. acillatem

Well, tonight this program decided to start a scan at 7:51, and another one at 8:00, which is the scheduled time. So, tonight it decided to run 2 scans, and start one 9 minutes early. The last 2 weeks it ran one scan, as scheduled. Is anyone else getting this weird behavioro_O? Again, my wife has the exact same program on her comp, and she has never had this happen. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  14. acillatem

Bump. No oneo_O??

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I wonder, since it seems to happen randomly, if it could be a muckup with windows time synchronizing.

16. acillatem

If that was the case, is there a remedy for that, or something I could at least try? It NEVER did this with 2.7, and it NEVER does it on my wife's computer!

17. CoolShady

CoolShady Registered Member

Try to take it down a notch, getting frustrated with things isn't going to resolve the situation.

Do you let the scans run their full course or cancel one once it starts?

I also notice that there is quite a difference between the times that you post, maybe you could change the schedule of your scans, A) To bring it forward and get a solution quicker and B) See if breaking it's normal pattern breaks it's behaviour in terms of the scans.

18. elapsed

Turning off synchronizing. It may be off on the other machines.

19. acillatem

Take what down a notch?? It wasn't directed at the person that posted. I'm emphasizing that this same computer never had this problem with 2.7, nor has my wife had the problem with 2.7 or 3.0.684.0.
    Last time I cancelled both of them, because it isn't how it's supposed to be performing. One of the other times, I let them go all the way......took over an hour.
    There is quite a difference between posts because it's sporadic......sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It may be worth a try changing the schedule, although it's ridiculous that I should have to.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  20. acillatem

I'll check that, but that is just the computer clock being synched with an internet time server, just curious how that could have an affect on NOD?? I'll check,just for grins.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  21. elapsed

Here in Vista, not sure in XP:

time.jpg

How could it affect it? I'm not sure. I'm guessing. Along the lines of the scheduling bug with the fact time is changing might be confusing nod32. I've seen stranger things.

22. acillatem

I checked both machines, and they both have synchronizing on, but I noticed my wife's machine has a different server selected that it updates from, so maybe I'll try changing my server to the same one she has, and then see what happens.Seems like a low probability, but like you said, stranger things have happened.

23. CoolShady

CoolShady Registered Member

Oh I agree, it's a major pain that you should have to jump through all these hoops just to get something to work that should of done in the first place but if it fixes your problem, there is no harm in giving it a go.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  24. acillatem

I agree. I wouldn't mind nearly as much if it was giving me the same problem on the other machine, or if it was a known bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.