NOD32 v2 and Internet Filtering Apps

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Allyn, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allyn

Allyn Registered Member

I have just attempted to evaluate Cybersitter and Cyber Patrol. Both had major problems with my system. I determined the cause was an incompatibility with NOD32 and subsequent investigation strongly suggests the cause is the IMON module.

It appears that this issue has been ongoing and nothing corrective has been done. I like the way NOD32 runs but I cannot recommend it to others in my neighborhood if it's incompatible with such filtering software. That's the way it is.

If I disable IMON without changing to pure text in Outlook Express, then I'm wide open to email threats, right? And what about for general surfing? Will AMON handle that or is IMON required?

My sub is up in a couple of months. As much as I like the lean, efficient approach NOD32 features, I will likely switch to a competitor if a fix is not forthcoming and there is no communication from ESET.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Read through the forum here. Plenty of communication about Imon as well as the upcoming beta.

Outlook Express is not safe to use except with all the precautions offered by the program itself.. That is a fact.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, if you want to use Outlook Express, you must not use the preview pane and you must set it to PLAIN text only. That isn't fun...I hate not being able to get HTML mail or send HTML email messages, but these days with OE you must be extremely careful. I don't use IMON. If you have read other threads here you know this already as I have been very outspoken. I don't use IMON and I use Outlook Express. I feel safe because I have OE set up as mentioned above and I have an ironclad rule that if I get an email with an attachment that I always (even if expecting the attachment and it is from my closest friend who is a security expert) download to disk and scan using AH before opening. Now that AMON is getting proper powers in the upcoming beta, I won't have reason to use IMON with all of its serious problems because of what it does to Winsock and the LSP chain.

However, most persons are not as disciplined as I and especially familes with a shared computer need to have IMON or need to use another email client instead of OE. Thunderbird is a good free one as is the one in Mozilla 1.6 or even Netscape 7.1. Eset is fixing IMON....but I worry that there will just be another problem with IMON and another.....so I am very happy that AMON is finally getting proper powers.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.