NOD32 v. 3 not updating automatically or as often as 2.7 did?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Big G 94, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big G 94

Big G 94 Registered Member

I just updated from NOD32 v. 2.7, which I've used for several years, to v. 3.0.684.0. It was a renewal so it took about 24 hours, as stated in posts I found here, for the right expiration date of my new license to show up and the icon to turn from orange to green, but everything is OK now along those lines.

However, I am noticing that the last virus signature update I received was about 21 hours ago. Where with v. 2.7, it seemed like the virus signature database was updating multiple times a day. Basically, whenever I would log onto my computer as a user, more often than not it would say "NOD32 has updated your virus signature definitions."

I set the updates up exactly as per Blackspear's v. 3 tutorial, I have chosen "choose automatically" for the server. On advanced setup I have "always update program components" and "offer restart if necessary" on the update mode tab, "use global proxy server settings" enabled on the HTTP Proxy tab (I don't know if this is correct because as far as I know I'm not connecting via a proxy, I have cable Internet and there is no proxy enabled on my connection options in IE, but that's how it was in Blackspear's tutorial) and on the LAN setting I have "default system" enabled.

I have tried updating manually and it tells me that my signature database is up to date. I have cleared the update cache and again tried manually updating and it still tells me the signature database is up to date.

Is the signature database not being updated multiple times a day anymore? Do I have something configured improperly in my settings? Or is there something else that might be going on here?

The current database I have is 4098.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

3. Big G 94

Big G 94 Registered Member

OK, I see that I have the latest update. Was just concerned that v. 3 wasn't behaving in the same way as 2.7. (I didn't upgrade to 4 because it appears from the board that there are still some things being worked out.)

4. catnotspam

catnotspam Registered Member

well here is a trick to update NOD32
    Tools--->schedule/planer ---------->then on update enable the regular automatic update
    run it *puppy* ~Email address removed for user protection.~

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
  5. grun93

grun93 Registered Member

Maybe Big G is asking because there seems to be less updates during weekends than during normal business day's? On one hand, there is no need for an update if there are no new threaths discovered. On the other hand, an AV company should respond with the same speed regardless whether it is Sunday morning 3.00 am, or Monday afternoon 3:00 pm. Otherwise, an attacker might benefit from the knowledge that AV companies are understaffed at certain times?

6. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Grun93:

At least with spam, I have read that spam writers apparently tend to take weekends off, and that's consistent with my own experience: Using my ISP's TMDA (Tagged Message Delivery Agent) spam filter, the spam is much less on weekends and on early Monday morning than during the midweek; it tends to taper off toward the end of the Monday-Friday workweek, and is least on weekends (Pacific daylight time, e.g. California where I am, is 7 hours behind GMT; Pacific Standard time is 8 hours behind GMT http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/).

Malware in general, of course, is always circulating, but NEW malware that requires Eset to write new signatures may be written primarily by "professionals" (rather than amateurs, as in years past), and professional malware writers, like spam writers, may like to take a break on their weekends. I haven't seen any discussion of this; I'm guessing.

Also, remember that in diffferent time zones, weekends (and workdays) begin and end at different GMT times.

And I don't know the countries or timezones in which Eset's signature update writers are located.

Roger Folsom

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Without getting into specifics, the velocity at which some families of malware are updated follow business hours in certain regions.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.