NOD32 V.3 Antispyware Protection

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by poutine, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Hi .
    Do you all think NOD32's antispyware protection and detection is good enough to not warrant using any other antispyware product ?
    I ask this as im not a fan of any "stand alone" antispyware software
    Thanks for any input. ;)

2. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I think it's never wise to bet on one horse, but perhaps that's just me.
    There are some good programs that can run alongside NOD32.

3. goodtimes

goodtimes Registered Member

I can say that NOD32 is definitely NOT good enough to use as a stand alone for spyware. The reason I can say that, is I am a parent of a 10 year old and have a spyware program installed on my daughters computer to keep track of her online activities. Prior to purchasing Nod32, I had symantec internet security and spysweeper installed on her computer. Both programs detected the spyware program (Ultraview.) I had to uninstall spysweeper from her computer as it would report the spyware even after I entered it in the program's exclusions list. symantec internet security stopped reporting it after i added it to that programs exclusions list. When my subscription expired for internet security I purchased Nod32 as it received good reviews. I installed it on my daughters computer and it never detected the spyware program. Even after updating Nod32 and the signatures and running an in-depth analysis is still did not detect the program. So I would not put my faith in Nod32 for detecting spyware. I'm just crossing my fingers it works better at detecting and preventing a virus.

4. poutine

Thanks everyone.
    Anyone know if a-squared free is any good as a backup ?
    I know the latest AdAware 2007 is awful.
    Dont really need a real-time monitor, thats just more to bog the sys down. I have good Router/Fw protection and i dont frequent sites which may do harm.
    Any suggestions ?
    Merci.

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

A-squared free is very good although it has had a history of FPs. I prefer SuperAntispyware Free or AVG AntiSpyware Free.

6. poutine

Thanks for your recommendations. :)

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

You are welcome.

8. poutine

Is there anything i need to setup or verify to keep AVG Antispy playing nicely with NOD32 V. 3 ?

Thanks.

9. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Not that I'm aware of. I occasionally run it on demand without problems. The only thing I don't like about AVG Free is that it runs a process named 'guard' even when not active. That's why I prefer SuperAntispyware Free.

10. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

:thumbd: Bad News = The antispyware protection offered by NOD32 (3.0.563) is not good enough. A standalone is definitely called for - I'm using Webroot Spy Sweeper (5.5.7.103)

:thumb: Good News = NOD32 (3.0.563) co-exists with Webroot Spy Sweeper (5.5.7.103) without any conflicts.

11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

recently it was pointed out that Spy Sweeper installation comes with something less than wholesome. My experience with Spy Sweeper is that it's a resource hog (the company itself is a very arrogant organization - we visited them as they are only 44 miles away) - we are NO LONGER SELLING their product, as we do NOT beleive in their methodologies or even like their attitudes, and the product is getting heavier and more cumbersome.

We do not resell this but I would recommend you look at it...

http://www.superantispyware.com/

your biggest defense from Spyware is safe surfing habits - roll around in the dirt and don't be surprise that you're covered in undesirable materials when you get back up...

12. poutine

Agreed , superantispyware might lack in the looks department but it makes up for it with its protection and ease of use.
    ;)

13. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

Do accept my condolence for the purported sorrows that Spy Sweeper seems to have heaped upon you. Can you share with us your experience in combining NOD32 3.0 with the antispyware program that YOU're using. We're more interested in learning about different antispyware programs vis-a-vis NOD32 3.0 than about who is reselling what and why not. Who knows one may change one's antispyware program based on your good / bad experience. If you will still insist on comparing standalone antispyware programs - expressing your peeves in the appropriate forum would be advisable.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  14. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

Im using Counterspy with Nod32 Version3 & there seems to be no problem, Even both at realtime protection. All I did was add Counterspy To nod32 exclusion list..:D

15. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

I tried Spybot with ESS, found Spybot turned into a resource hog and by the time it had scanned (took ages on 25gb) found nothing, in the past my AVS was PC cillin 07 and I used Spybot as my 2nd defence, it regularly found spyware from when I surfed to OE7 or to Hotmail from WLM. So in my opinion (at the moment) V3 is holding its own.

16. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

For two to three years I was running NOD earlier versions with:

CounterSpy: Scheduled scans ON
    Active Monitor ON

Ad-Aware: Manual scans only
    Active Montior OFF

SpyBot: Manual scans only
    Active monitor OFF

After two years of this I resented having to run 4 scans every day or week.
    Then NOD 2.7 came along and one by one in the following order I dropped: My Killbit file,SpyBot, then Ad-Aware, and finally CounterSpy which was the last to go.

For the past 4 months I remained with only NOD 2.7 and had no spyware problems at all. I have since upgraded to V 3.0.

Just for curiosity I reinstalled Ad-Aware today and performed a full scan.
    All it detected was cookies so I uninstalled it and am enjoying my freedom and low resource usage again using only NOD AV.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  17. YadaYada

YadaYada Registered Member

Speaking of arrogance...very unprofessional to comment in public on another organization like that.
    I can only hope that my purchase from eset.com directly did not profit your reseller in any way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  18. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

As far as the intent of that message I have no problem with it although I would be interested to know why the author felt that the company was arrogant. As far as the matter of whether the criticism that he wrote was professional or not one could argue that the standards of what comprises an ethical model for a person providing software products to the public and voicing his opinion within a forum of subscribers seeking opinions may be different than if the venue were a public newspaper and are therefor less stringent in a subscribed forum such as this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  19. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

Im using A-Squared Anti-Mallware with Nod32. It is a good backup to ut. It uses a different method than heuretics called suspicious file detection.:thumb:

20. Stijnson

Are you using the paid version or the free version?

21. poutine

Dont think A-Squared do a free anti-malware. Only free one they do is a-squared free. ;)

22. Stijnson

You're right...my bad.:rolleyes:

23. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Would an additional AS be required if running NOD32 and a behavior blocker like Norton Antibot? Trying to keep my machine secure, but with as few processes as required :D

Thanks!

24. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

It shouldn't be needed, but I've heard some wise men stating, that Nod32 is not up to par with fighting Spyware, but personally I wouldn't use any additional AS program.

25. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Fair enough. Truth be told, since I have Vista I just keep Windows Defender running as well, so I have two AS along with AntiBot. I feel safe enough (along with safe browsing habits)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.