nod32 + utorrent = dead router

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by napouser, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

LOL. So, NOD32 can't handle the amount of bittorrent traffic and so your router loses network connectivity. I guess looking for any logic in the above statement is just mission impossible, right? :thumbd:

2. napouser

napouser Registered Member

i am not looking for logic
    i am looking for a solution

crystal for u?

3. doktornotor

Unfortunately, you are looking for a solution in a wrong place (because your logic fails). So, your solutions are:

- get the firmware fixed by the router manufacturer
    - buy a better router
    - do not use ESS (by which you might fix the symptoms but not the actual cause of your issues - which is the buggy router, as noted not only by myself but by ESET staff as well.)

4. napouser

-firmware is updated as stated numerous times
    -cant afford new router as stated
    -prefer to tweak what i have instead of going back to crappy bitdefender

5. doktornotor

... and yet still buggy; and chances are slim it will ever get fixed when you stubbornly refuse to take your issues to your router manufacturer.

Not exactly my problem, nor ESET's for that matter.

Noone's forcing to use the "crappy" whatever, you can use Avira or Avast which both have free versions available. Wrt tweaking, you should start with tweaking your router settings presumably, since that's where the real problem is.

6. napouser

how about find a way to stop this Dos stuff eset does to the network when utorrent dominates the connection?

7. doktornotor

Please stop going in cycles... if you want to find a solution, then start by disabling SPI on the router or whatever else that causes it to run out of system resources. If the router has some sort of watchdog functionality, use it. If it doesn't, schedule it to reboot itself every day or whatever. Etc.

Since you didn't even bother to mention what router we are talking about, everyone can just guess.

8. napouser

there is no spi to disable
    there is no watchdog or log functionality that can help us find whats happening
    there is no need to restart a router thats known to work for the last 2 years perfectly

plz learn to read previous posts since u didnt even bother to do so
    instead u found a diagnosis that u stick in it without even care about the issue
    yea head hearts if i cut it and put a new one i know it will work the problem is to fix this one

so let me clarify this to ya
    last 2 days with firewall antispam filtering disabled etc etc etc i havent experienced any issues (yet) maybe u have to rethink this over?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  9. doktornotor

I'd suggest reading the fine manual which you apparently haven't done. (Hint: Chapter 4 - Security - Firewall plus Chapter 4 - Administration - Reporting.

There apparently is a need b/c its the only way to get the router back to a working state.

Yeah, thanks for suggestion. Since it's actually you who's asking for help I'd in return suggest to provide relevant information in a non-cryptic manner in your initial post, noone's going to dig into the thread which mostly contains your scratched-record arguments to find it.

Rethink exactly what?

Except that this is not even remotely the latest version. The latest one is

There you go... Thanks for wasting everyone's time. :thumbd: o_O

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I laughed a little inside.

On a serious note, hope this fixes your problem. :thumb:

11. doktornotor

If not, here's a link to 1.01.08 beta 3 download - see message 6 for both Annex A and Annex B versions of the FW. If you don't trust the links, you are free to request an official one from Linksys technical support.

And on another note, a quick glance over the Linksys forums pretty much proves how true the buggy piece of junk statement has been wrt this Linksys WAG200G model.

12. napouser

yea sorry for that, router HAD "Firmware Version: 1.01.06"

was just looking at an old firmware file like a good idiot i am!

yea "- Fixes issue with DSL performance degradation when running P2P program for long time."

that was what i was thinking when i installed it (been some weeks) sadly however couple days later happened again so i dont think the issue lies there

...so back to the same argument although i have to admit that i would laugh too with my retardation if that was the case

btw
    didnt i mention a friend of mine with vista and a COMPLETELY different router has the same problem?

ok about the manual stuff:

security stuff: does not help
    rendering the computer invisible to anonymous requests or enabling the firewall basically does not allow me to have services that i need

log administration : doesnt help either
    yes i know how to keep logs, its not really nuclear science neither requires the manual to understand how to read a log, still logs arent helpfull much

---looking at beta firmware right now gimme a sec

will try 1.01.08 and see if that helps, gimme couple days until problem occurs again

lets hope it does not

oh and thanks for the link btw appreciate it

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  13. BedreAntivirus

BedreAntivirus Registered Member

i have no problems with µTorrent and DIR-655 Wireless 11n Router with Firmware 1.21 and Speedtouch 546i ADL2+ Modem and µTorrent 1.8.1, NOD32 4.0.68 Beta/3.0.672

limit the global maximum connections to 66 or 100, some routers will freak out on 200 and above

14. napouser

strangly enough a whole week now router goes fine with no probs
    so i didnt have to apply the 1.01.08 beta update and still keep 1.01.06

my guess is the disabled web access detection and the fact that it says "malfunctioning" must do the trick

well its not optimal but until it breaks i dont find reason to patch firmware or change anything else

thanks for the support though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.