NOD32 users , how you started using NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ASpace, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi people - NOD32 users ! Share your experience , write your own story ... Here in this thread . Keep it posted ;)

• How long have you been using NOD32 ?
    • How and where did you first learned about it ?
    • What was your previous security product prior to NOD ?
    • What was your first impression of it when you saw it ?
    • Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds
    :thumb:
    It would be nice to see at least 209 posts from all of you who voted here

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    For many years I was reselling Symantec Corporate Edition for my clients networks....since around version 5. Around version 9...ad/spyware started to become a bigger problem...and I noticed Symantec CE was useless in this area. Also it was becoming pricey. I started looking at other network antivirus products from AVG, Kapersky, Trend, and NOD32. Narrowed down to Kapersky and NOD32...but the version of Kapersky back at this time..though VERY effective..was also VERY heavy. I chose NOD32 and started using it with some clients.

Symantec CE version 10 came out...installing that was pouring a gallon of sticky glue on clients computers...so dang bloated...I completely stopped reselling it.

Clients networks that I had converted to NOD32..I noticed a few things.
    *Some clients mentioned, on their own, how their machines seemed to run quicker
    *I was making less calls onsite to remove malware
    *Deploying upgrades and push installs on networks...went much smoother for me compared to deploying Symantec CE or McGufee or CA products

I'd make more money if I stuck to selling others such as Symantec CE...price is higher so I'd have a higher profit margin, and I'd be making more onsite calls to clean up malware. But...smooth running and happy clients is my goal.

3. loong

loong Registered Member

1 7 months
    2 from a local forum
    3 kaspersky
    4 fast,small,silent
    5 i hope nod32 can deal with spywares , trojans and malwares better and better.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  4. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Missed that poll so make that 210 ;)

In order:-

18 months
    Here at Wilders
    ZA Security Suite
    First thoughts ? What the heck does IMON, AMON etc mean !
    Love it - not really had any grief with it at all

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

1. Almost 4 years...
    2. Virus Bulletin
    3. Norton AntiVirus 2003
    4. It take me some time to stay with NOD32, maybe 3 months, because I checked a lot of AV's. Before choose it, I also tacked opinions from this forum and other users... Finally I conclude that this AV completely incases on my needs and what an AV should be for me...
    5. Just that until now I didn't see anything better than it... ;)

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I'll start from the third point . I have been using Panda products for almost 2 years . The beginning was ok but the final period ended up with my finding - buggy products . While I really needed support to fix what Panda made , I received no such thing for almost 3 months , with all the guys hiding from me and doing nothing . All I could do was to get rid of Panda and find something else which I can use on my machines and recommend to friends and possible clients . It was difficult challange - so many different AVs to choose between . Just by chance I read a lot of post in newsgroups where people seek for AV products and they are recommended something called NOD32 . I write something because I had no idea what it was . I remembered that during an exhibition I got a brochure with NOD32 so I kept this handy. Testing for a month or two , just like YeOldeStonecat I narrowed down to Kaspersky and NOD32 . Kaspersky was very slow on my computers and I didn't like the fact that it scanned my hard drive for more than 3 hours (I don't want to have file marked by their old KAV:ICHs) so I ended up trialing NOD32 . My first impression was that the interface looked strange , the second was that machine run very light . No more than 10 days after I installed it I bought my 1 year license for my own computer . Not longer than a month I also started reselling it .

1 year

In MS newsgroups , a local exhibition

Panda

Lots of worms , trojans and a rootkit :thumb:

7. loong

loong Registered Member

ps:nod32 didn't have a chinese name,and nobody knows whether it have chinese official name.
    why?
    there is agent of nod32 in china ,but nod32 haven't a chinese name?
    my friends offen think that nod32 is nordon(诺顿)

does nod32 have local name in your language?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

• Almost 2 years and I'll continue to use it for years to come.
    • Someone mentioned NOD when I was looking for a replacement.
    • Panda for about 3 years.
    • I was quite surprised by the amount of settings, it's like candy to me :)

9. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

1. Nearly 3 years
    2. I was looking for a light and reliable AV and made some Google research
    3. TM PC-Cillin
    4. It was what i was looking for ;-)
    5. to continue to trust in NOD32

10. Togg

Togg Registered Member

1. Since Sept/Oct 2004
    2. Lurking around various sites
    3. NAV 2003 (I was actually going to renew my sub, even though they had stopped support (but not definitions) for 98, and I got stuck in a loop on Symantec's lame website!)
    4. I was confused by the interface at first but it worked 'out of the box' so I relaxed.
    5. I've only had about two alerts and the 'nasties' got fixed without any fuss. Since I choose to continue running an old, underpowered '98 computer, I need the light footprint and security NOD provides.

11. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

1. 2 Months
    2. In here
    3. Kaspersky
    4. light, fast, stable, reliable

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

• How and where did you first learned about it ?
    • What was your previous security product prior to NOD ?
    • What was your first impression of it when you saw it ?
    • Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds
    First time I got it free from Wilders :D (contest), somewhere in 2005, now I have a free version from CT magazine untill october 2007. In between I had KAV but moved it to my other machine.
    I heard about it at Wilders the first time if I remember well.
    I have used Thunderbyte :)o), Norton, GData and CA as well (without any probs I have to say).
    My first impression: Hey I have to read carefully what's all about the settings :)
    Nothing special at the moment, well perhaps when N32 find something an option to ignore (FP).

Gerard

13. Stan The Man

Stan The Man Registered Member

1. Three Years +
    2. Developer of a program that I was beta testing, trusted his judgment
    3. Norton-then unfortunately it became Symantec
    4. It was very DIFFERENT
    5. It is the only program which has ever found anything in normal use computing.
    I had been with Norton for many years. Symantec dug their own grave when they reduced the frequency of updates, but I was already disenchanted due to upgrade and marketing issues. Cutting updates to control costs was not a good idea when infections were on the increase. They were selling at very low prices in some areas which made a straightforward retail purchase seem like an attack of madness.
    NOD was different in the nicest possible ways, light and very quick, and the changing rate of updates inspires confidence. In the earlier days it was possible, in the UK, to purchase direct from USA, I do not think this is possible now. The longer term offers can be attractive. While Eset remain "on the case" I am happy to stay with them.

loong

With a name like "NOD32" does it really need a local name, here [UK] or anywhere? It is a very odd sounding name to many English speaking people, almost without exception it has to be repeated for those not aware of the program.

If you are still looking for a distributor:-

Distributor in China

is listed by Eset.

14. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

[*]How long have you been using NOD32 ?

I have been actively using nod32 since 29JAN07. Plus two 30-day client tests prior to purchasing my license for the Enterprise Edition. Yes, nod32 is truly a keeper.

[*]How and where did you first learned about it ?

I first heard of nod32 on my 'closed' "hardware" techies email list. The name came from a Canadian member. At the time, nod32, Kaspersky, and Sophos were the premier "AV software" to try/use. However, on the list 'free' was the most important aspect. Not true. All good things are rarely 'free.' I have roughly 18 months of research into nod32. The majority of this research is completely positive.

[*]What was your previous security product prior to NOD ?

I was using a recycled CA ETrust (free) package. Prior to that I have used NAV03 (paid), NAV02 (paid), AVAST (free), Trend Micro PC-Cillin (free), and, Macafee (corporate-at last real job), and during my last broadband experience, I did use the Kerio Personal Firewall behind a Netgear RT-314.

[*]What was your first impression of it when you saw it ?

It (nod32) was really up-front and no nonsense. If I wished to peek under the hood, I could. It installed well. It just plain ran and did not post all manner of "nag" screens. Nod32 even let me install applications without being 'shutdown' even though I know this may still be a default opsnorml parameter. Windows 2000 Pro w/sp4 does like nod32. I am so impressed with nod32 that I have gotten both my Brother and Sister to at least try the latest 30-day trial packages. To date, both plan to convert and become paid nod32 users.

[*]Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds

Really can not say. I do not go looking for infections! OK. I do not surf aggressively. I do not manage to find many potential infections. But, when I do, nod32 handles what it finds and does NOT like with great skill. I have lost no files yet. I have seen no odd behavior in my clients yet on nod32. I am very happy and satisfied with the current strength of nod32. I plan to be a very long term client.
    Best,
    Duncan

15. madaro

madaro Guest

How long have you been using NOD32 ?
    How and where did you first learned about it ?
    What was your previous security product prior to NOD ?
    What was your first impression of it when you saw it ?
    Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I have been using Nod32 since June 2006.

2. I discovered the Eset/Nod32 website researching antivirus solutions on the internet.

3. When I first started using computers, I used Peter Norton Antivirus, when Norton Antivirus was aquired by Symantec Corporation, I shifted to F-prot Antivirus.

4. My first impression of Nod32 was "How the heck does this work".

5. I like the fact that Nod32 is more than just an antivirus solution. Shortly after I started using Nod32, it alerted me to a malicious website and I was able to terminate the connection and prevent harm to my computer.

16. gberns

gberns Registered Member

I had been using NAV since before there was a Symantec. Since when there actually was a Peter Norton behind the products. When Symantec went to activation three years ago the product would not activate on my machine no matter what technical support or I did. They even sent me a new disk to try. Bought Panda and that wouldn't load either. Same with Trend Micro. There was something funky in my XP setup. Saw an ad for NOD32 in PC World and downloaded it on March 12, 2004. Have no intention of leaving as it seems to only get better.

I am not bashing Symantec, but everytime I like a product, they buy it and sooner or later I have to move on. Have gone from Ghost to Drive Image (then they bought that) to Acronis and GoBack to Rollback RX.

17. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

How long have you been using NOD32 ?

Two weeks with the trial version.

From the experts I trust at aumha.net

After all manner of grief with various McAfee and NAV products, I was quite happy with the free versions of AVG, and most recently avast!

Dang- another long list of modules to configure! (Then I was pointed to this forum, and specifically to Blackspear's recommended settings).

Anything special that you'd like to add...?

Well, NOD32 didn't find anything on my PC, but then I've been lucky over the years with all the AVs I've used. Never had a virus yet. Which makes me question why I should pay for NOD32, when the free AVs performed so well for me. To be honest, I'm still not decided. But it's difficult to ignore strong recommendations from experts I trust, the 5 year track record of VB100 awards at Virus Bulletin, or to ignore the test results at http://www.av-comparatives.org/

And finally, it's worth noting the virtual absence of NOD32 in the infected HijackThis logfiles I've seen. Not a very scientific observation, granted, but still compelling...

18. nameless

nameless Registered Member

It's a long, sordid tale, and I'm sure no one cares...

I tried KAV, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

I tried the freebies, and didn't trust them enough. Or, they annoyed the hell out of me.

I tried KAV again, desperate to like it, and it kept annoying the hell out of me.

I tried NOD32, and while it annoyed me, it didn't quite annoy the hell out of me.

Wash, rinse, repeat. And repeat the above steps about 12 more times, in random order.

Least of many evils.

19. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

* How long have you been using NOD32 ?

About 7 months now

* How and where did you first learned about it ?

Here, at Wilders...around early to mid '05

* What was your previous security product prior to NOD ?

McAfee primarily for an AV (also have used Norton/Symantec and AVG)

* What was your first impression of it when you saw it ?

That it was a little confusing.... and probably designed more so for "techies" than for an average home PC user

* Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds

Aside from the painfully slow and long time that it IS taking to auto-update to version 2.7 from 2.5, I have been pleased with it. I switched from McAfee because their customer service seemed to be getting rather poor. At first, they were quick to respond to questions and/or concerns, but after a period of time they seemed to really not care anymore. That, and the fact that a "year's worth of (definition) upgrades" DID NOT include the ability to "upgrade" to a NEW version within that year!!! :thumbd:

NOD32 updates are frequent, and it seems to do a very good and thorough job. It has detected a few threats and doesn't seem to have much of an impact on system performance.

20. Holden4th

Holden4th Registered Member

I came across NOD32 a little over three years ago when I got a PC mag out of the library. It had version 1 of NOD32 on the cover CD so I installed it to see how it compared to my freebie AVG. I was horrified when I ran the scan and NOD32 picked up 15 nasties that AVG had totally missed.

I promptly uninstalled AVG and kept NOD32, waiting for the 30 day trial to run out. It never did, kept updating every day and kept my PC virus free for over 18 months. When I upgraded to a new PC v1 wouldn't install so I went to the Internet for the trial version of v2. Unfortunately v2 did run out after 30 days and I was left with no choice but to buy the product.

I've never regretted it and with the use of Blackspear's settings I feel very comfortable with what comes into my PC, knowing that NOD32 will handle it.

I eagerly await the release of V3

21. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

• How long have you been using NOD32 ? For years, I don't recall exactly. I even used the v1 with the "CC" diskette icon in the systray...
    • How and where did you first learned about it ? In a magazine that had a huge article about antivirus and thouroughly tested them (at least it looked like that, but if I found the article I think it wouldn't compare to the av-comparatives.org tests)
    • What was your previous security product prior to NOD ? I tested KAV (4.5 at the time, KIS 6 now on another system) and before that I had CAT QuickHeal and even before, the PC-Cillin 2000 that came with my (now old and retired) machine when I bought it.
    • What was your first impression of it when you saw it ? As it was v1, I thought the graphics vere a bit strange. A HUGE progress was made from v1 to v2? I was very happy when v2 came out, since UI was nicer, and there was even more protection. But even with the odd UI, it did a good job and was lighter than QuickHeal (which had many many components and took much memory and CPU) and KAV (which was a resource hog) so... that was it.
    • Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds : I was glad to have NOD installed when a Tenga.A was discovered on y university's unprotected and networked (yes :() machines last year. I tried to convince them to buy Nod, too. But they didn't want an AV because it was too much of a pain -said them- to install on all the machines (which were 90 for the entire building and imaged at each boot -vith the virus lol)

22. ClearIce

ClearIce Registered Member

About 5 days now. Had tried it 2 or 3 years ago.

On the net trying to find a fast scanner reliable and little overhead but good and accurate scans.

F-Prot was my previous security product. I go back to Win 95 and using even F-prot for Dos. The last version 6 will make applications such as itunes and Neverwinter Nights 2 take 60 or more seconds at least to start if they ever do. I would disable f-prot and problem went away poof. With 2GB of ram and 10k rpm raptor 74 GB HD this was unacceptable.

The interface took maybe 10 minutes to readjust too but no biggie.

Anything special that you'd like to add , threats that you have seen and only NOD32 (or plus only few others) finds

I am liking soooo much about this product. Number one is the lightness of it and the speed. The ability to customize it is great. I love the fact that you can optimize scanning which is crucial. If it slows me down I don't want it.

23. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

• A little over 3 years.

Here at Wilders. NOD32 was v.1. I didn't like v.1 very much! :D

PC-cillin/NAV/Avast!

v.2 was terrific. Loved the configurability, and the install/uninstall was so fast, I had to ask: "Is that IT??"

Obtained my first NOD32 license through the generosity of ESET and Wilders. It has worked so well, and I like it so much, that I became a reseller. NOD32 reminds me of F-PROT, which is the other AV I really like. Both are small, fast, well-coded, and just work.

24. RENBEN

RENBEN Registered Member

1. I have been using Nod32 since April 2003.

2. I discovered the Eset/Nod32 on the “misc” system and internet security magazine they was tested Nod32 anti virus because I was researching a good antivirus solutions for my office computer and laptop too.
    http://www.ed-diamond.com/index.php

3. Before I started using Symantec Norton Antivirus 2003, but I was infected by virus included inside the zip attachment not detected by Norton. I shifted Nod32 Antivirus.

4. My first impression of Nod32 was “How light this software works especially with my laptop ".

5. I like the fact that Nod32 is more than just an antivirus solution. Since I started using Nod32, it alerted me to a malicious website and I was able to terminate the connection and prevent harm to my computer. And each time alert me for the infected e-mail and I was able to delete it. Now I use the last version 2.70.26 and I feel very secure

25. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

1) It will be 3 years in May

2) A couple of people on another security forum, they were pretty good at helping newbies and recommending security programs.
    One of them used NOD32 and the other used KAV, I tried KAV first and my computer slowed to a crawl (5.0 back then) so I tried NOD32 and everything came back to life

3) Before NOD32 I was using AVG and Panda

4) First impression when I downloaded NOD32....o_O o_O "How in the hell do you configure this AV"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.