Nod32 student discount vs. BD9 @ $35.96 - commentary?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by veri, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veri

veri Registered Member

Seems I can get a small discount on BD9.

Considering the two, does anyone think BD9 would be worth the $15ish premium over Nod32 with that student discount?

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, does NOD32 offer student discounts? I haven't seen it this offer in my country ....

3. veri

veri Registered Member

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

interesting nobody told me a word about it. :(

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

There is an academic version of NOD32 for students and teachers in Hong Kong for HK$198 (USD25.30) for one year updates.

6. veri

veri Registered Member

Any opinions on Nod32 w/ two years for $30, or BD9 with one for $35.96?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well it seems bitdefender's heristic detection is getting better and better and alomost better than nod32's and might be better than soon. and bitdefender does have its great rescure disk based on linux defender but its your choice.

im thinking about getting bitdefnder for my self soon

lodore

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My opinion is that I would go for NOD32.
    Jerry

9. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Why don't you just purchase BD 9 Standard from hermanstreet.com or newegg.com for ~$20?

10. veri

veri Registered Member

Wow... hell, even pro plus is $28 there, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

(The quote I received was on pro plus, too.)

Thanks for pointing it out on 'egg, didn't even think to check there.

The marginal difference really isn't a huge concern; I'm just wondering whether now would be a good time to try BD9 soon to be 10(?) since I had been wanting to do so even though the latest av-comparatives isn't out and such.

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

If you buy BD 9 now, you will automatically get the upgrade to BD 10 when it's released in the next month or so.

Also, when you buy BD you can run it on two computers (although, I think they specify desktop and notebook -- you may want to double check this).

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its debateable but bitdefender normally alow two pcs but ask them at there forums ~snipped~ That is not an official forum and links to it are not allowed here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, I'll go with NOD32 without doubts.
    It is lighter in system resources, has better detection rates. (see av-comparatives.org results). Their heuristic engine seems also to be better and they've improved it again 4 days ago. ;)

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

BD 9 Pro is great...BUT you cannot also run Spyware Blaster and/or Spybot with it. I had to get rid of it for that reason. 9.0 was fine with those applications. 9.5 crashed and caused constant BSODs and support said it was because I had those two applications and I demanded that I remove them. I removed BD instead.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Although the EULA does say desktop and notebook, I saw lots of forum posts saying that it was allowed to use BD on 2 PCs. I decided to double-check this with support, and about a month ago I was given the answer that it is only allowed to use BD on one PC and one laptop. But recently I asked again and this time they said that I can use BD on 2 PCs. :doubt:

Anyway, both NOD32 and BD will work well, so you can choose either one. ;)

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have an Academic License and as you can see you can have a license of NOD32 for 2 years.

In my opinion NOD32 is better than ButDefender in all the aspects, like detection, configuration, speed, much less incompabilities with other programs...

It's an easy decision... ;)

17. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

1. What are the rules of academic: student only? or professors too?

2. Is the www.nod32-av.com site a reseller? If so, do they provide tech support or does ESET?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'm not sure, but it is possible that it is for students as well as teachers. Of course, you will need proof that you are a student/teacher.

NOD32-AV is an Eset authorized partner. They themselves provide tech support as far as possible. If the issue goes beyond their reach, then the issue is forwarded to Eset.

I've had a great experience with NOD32-AV. Excellent support and customer service. Plus, if you buy from NOD32-AV, you will get a preconfigured edition of NOD32 with all settings optimized for maximum protection. ;)

19. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I can verify everything Firecat said. I have boughten multiple liseces through nod32-av using student licensing. Support provided there is top-notch; in fact I have Stephen on my IM contact list. He has worked with me to "fix" several of my questions/curiosities. Also, I can say that there was an issue with downloads from there not being optimally configured; detection of potentially dangerous apps was not selected by default nor was AH. These problems have been corrected with the latest available download.

Again, you can't go wrong with www.nod32-av.com

20. proll

proll Registered Member

BD has better detection rates in my country,but it also heavier than NOD32.If i were you ,i will buy NOD32.

21. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Where are you from proll? I think we all shall see their detection rates compared to av-comparatives.org August test very soon. :)

22. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That doesn't make sense. Better detection rates are better detection rates accross the board. The numbers don't change on a country by country basis. :)

23. veri

veri Registered Member

That's the only reason why I haven't bought a two-year with Nod32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.