NOD32 stops Oracle 8.1.6 server working

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by garykyle, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garykyle

garykyle Registered Member

Hello all,

I hope someone can help - I have an Oracle 8.1.6 server. After installing NOD32 on it, the Oracle services won't start properly after rebooting. They just say 'starting.'

So I uninstalled NOD32 and rebooted, and lo and behold Oracle came back to life.

Anyone else experienced this, and know what to do in NOD32 to prevent it blocking Oracle?

Cheers,

Gary

2. covaro

covaro Registered Member

Do you have IMON installed and running on this machine (If so disable it and unload it)? Did you exclude the Oracle Data directories in AMON (if not do so)? I'd start there and see what happens.

-Cov

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Right..I have a client running Oracle for his Logician medical software...no conflicts. IMON should have automatically disabled itself upon installation on a server OS..but double check, and ensure AMON is excluding wherever you're keeping your database files in Oracle..wherever oraup and oradown are pointing to.

4. garykyle

Thanks for the fast replies - it's only XP Pro rather than a proper server OS, which might explain imon being enabled. I'll turn off IMON and exclude \Oracle\ from AMON and report back...

Cheers

5. garykyle

Thinking about it - This PC is our server in a peer-to-peer environment. It is used to access the internet - surely I don't want to completely disable IMON?!?!

I've excluded the \Oracle\ directory from AMON, but it's not fixed the issue.

6. covaro

covaro Registered Member

Actually I would disable IMON. It's quite possible that IMON is interfering with the listener service (assuming that is the one that isn't starting). Hopefully this PC isn't used for recreational web surfing, so you should be OK just running AMON on this system.

Is this Oracle DB a production system? Just not used to hearing a production box run on XP, Oracle normally prefers you running *nix with their DB.

-Cov

7. garykyle

OK, we're going to revert to NAV on this machine. Turning off the IMON component isn't going to happen because I see that as one of it's most important jobs. No, the machine isn't used for casual access, but ye can't be too careful (he says, whilst reverting to NAV! Bah! Hypocrite ;)

@Covaro,

It's not the listener that's failed to start - it's each instance of a database. There services are listed as 'starting' and never make it to 'started' whilst NOD32 is on the machine.

As for 'why XP', it's not really 'production' as such - it's our core development database - we develop software that uses Oracle underneath. It's important from the point of view that loads of our development databases are on this machine.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You can safely turn off IMON and rely on AMON for this server so long as someone isn't actually web surfing on it, this is a very satisfactory solution (nothing wrong with AMON's protection).

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.