NOD32 still a problem. PC-Cillan recomended?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by taperino, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Hi,

I was on a trial with NOD32 (w/temp codes) and sent my problem to NOD32 to which they didn't reply (understandably.) My problem was that if IMON was on then I couldn't get on w/DSL and several other system problems. Now, that my 30 days are getting close, I've decided I don't want NOD32 since it's such a problem child - on my system at least.

My question is about PC-CILLAN by Trend Micro. I was wondering if people here might recommend that as a 2nd best to NOD. It's the same price as NOD32 and sounds like it won't hassle my Zone Alarm.

Thanks very much.

Taperino

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I run ZA and command av and they run together just great. I tried tm internet security and didn't like the firewall and I just don't feel comfortable with the av. That is a personal opinion only. But seriousley you ought to try command it is a very good av good detection good hueristics and trojan detection, scans very fast and it is very inexpensive. And trend is not a second best to nod.
    trend micro detection here
    command detection history here

download command here

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Trend Micro isn't a terribly good av these days. There are other programs out there that do a better job.

www.av-comparatives.org click on comparatives view the online results.

Germain site, but you can see how some of the more popular AVs do and how they impact system resources.
    http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693

You'll note that NOD is a good av, but it doesn't have the highest detection rates.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You might want to trial NAV 2005. It looks most interesting! Public beta will start first week of July for one month. It shouldn't have many bugs at all by then. I have done Symantec public betas in the past and there were very few bugs. It has an intriguing Internet Worm Protection section and a lot of it looks like NIS so if you have had that and liked it then you might like NAV 2005.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Nav would be on my recomend list also if it hadn't gotten so darn bloated. Just look at nod and command and f-prot all of them are good av's but they have a small footprint mostly under 9 or 10 mb's as compaired to 85 mb's for norton av 2004.( scrn. shot)

Attached Files:

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Last I tried NAV was 2003 beta and it was too bloated for my W98SE box. I have NOD32 on that box and on my 7 month old XP Pro box. I didn't realize that NAV 2004 was that large but each year NAV gets more bloated. I loved NAV2001 and 2002 wasn't very bloated...but after that... I wonder how big 2005 really is?

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear taperino, TM is certainly not the second best after NOD32. but moneywise you'll get a decent AV with firewall. it packs a lot of juice if you configure it right. additionally it also scans for spywares. this is a classic AV emphasizing more on signature based scanning. you should try it yourself first and decide. it certainly worths a look.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I had PC-Cillian 2003 and I liked it. 2003 was lighter on resources on my W98SE box than even NOD32 which was surprising. The GUI is great...just like NAV's. It is a very good av BUT you cannot trial it. It is crippleware. No definitions updates during the trial. So, you are forced to purchase it without trying it. Trend has excellent free phone support. I think their support is the best of all. You can even easily (if needed) get a senior engineer on the phone. PCCillin 2003 and 2004 have a bad bug though in tmproxy.exe. If you are in the habit of booting your computer every 6-8 hours of use (or turning it off every night) then you won't notice the bug. Otherwise, beware of PC-Cillin. Trend promised they would fix the bug in the 2004 edition but they did not...at least not with the first release version of 2004. Maybe they did later in the year as I have lost track of the issue. I got tired of Trend insisting they would fix it and then instead of fixing it telling everyone to just disable tmproxy.exe which was not a good solution if you use web mail.

9. taperino

Thank you

Thanks to each and every one who replied.

I have given thought to your words and recommendations.

I wish Nod32 would just work right on my system.
    I have till the 30th to make a decision.

Thank you all very much!

Taperino

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello taperino.

The only way you can ever be sure is to try things yourself

As you are no doubt aware by now, NOD does not seem to suit *your* system but for 10'sK people it does. :)

AMRX is right, if you have a leaning towards Trend, give it a shot. ;)

Mele has given a good opinion of *her* experiences as well. :)

For my own *personal* experiences, I found Trend to be very good. It was not noticeable in running, fast updates, never had any infections and it worked fine for *me*. [It does pay to occasionally do an ON-LINE scan of your system to double check or have an On-Demand back up AV]

I have used 2000 / 2002 / 2003 versions of Trend.

All played great with every other app I ran.
    In fact with 2002/2003 versions, I had the FW running and went to every test site I could find [and that was at least 10] and not once did I get a failure, of any description.

I ran the PCC's FW by itself for those tests as I also have Kerio 2.1.5 FW.
    I also ran BOTH FW's in the time I had PCC. [Yes, not advised, but never a conflict, actually it was interesting reading the logs of each to see which stopped what first].

The only reason I changed was my 2003 licence ran out, so I decided to upgrade to *arguably* one of the best AV's... KAV 4.5 PRO for *myself* and love it btw.

I wanted to install it on my daughter's PC but she refused, wanted to stay with Trend and she also has been kept safe. [Of course has a layered security set up, the only difference being she has PC-Cillin as her AV]

In the end it will be your decision, but please do try Trend at the very least first, maybe 1/2 others as well.

Just my opinions.

Cheers, TAS

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

of course you can update the trial version of TM. its just that you can't use the incremental updater. just go to the following link and download the latest pattern file. now unzip it to your AV folder. restart your system and poof!

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Trend must have changed since I wanted to trial PC-Cillin 2003. At that time (December 2002), I was told over at DSLR that it was crippleware and the only way to trial it then was to find someone who had bought a bunch of licenses and was giving them away. I had a friend at DSLR who knew someone like this and this kind person gave me a license. That was done a lot then and he had bought a bunch licenses just so people could try PC-Cillin.

I'm glad to know that is not necessary today. Still though, if I had to go to that much trouble to update my trial version as what you describe, I would be put off and would think that PCC must be a very unfriendly av and that Trend Micro really doesn't want people to trial it and I would just look elsewhere for an av. I also don't think much of Kasperksy's recent decision to shorten their trial to two weeks.

13. ottof

ottof Guest

what kind of bug are you talking about? I am looking at pccillan for my system now but haven't purchased it as yet.

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: Thank you

If you are still interested in Nod32, can you please start a thread in the Nod32 forum and I will follow it through for you...

Cheers :D

15. taperino

NOD32 is working fine on my system. I think this was a very old post.

Thanks for your help.

Taperino

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

That's good then, and my pleasure.

All the best...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.