NOD32 slowing Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Foiler, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foiler

Foiler Registered Member

My Thunderbird connects to Google Apps with an IMAP account setup. It is a frustratingly slow user experience. Typing lags, folders and emails slow to display etc.

I am guessing that my NOD32 ver 4 Antivirus setup may be slowing things .. what settings are safe to disable in NOD32 that might speed things up?

eg untick scanning of receive, sent, read mail? setting Thunderbird as an excluded app from protocol filtering? exclude Thunderbird profile folder from real time scanning?

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I use T-Bird and ESET for Business, version 4. There has been no compatibility issues under Windows 7. Perhaps it is the Google apps that are causing the slowness - I would concentrate on those to narrow your focus.
    You may submit and issue ticket to ESET Support.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V4 doesn't scan IMAP so it's weird that you notice slow down while receiving email. Unfortunately, you didn't mention what oper. system you use. Does disabling protocol filtering in the Web and email protection setup make a difference?

4. Foiler

Foiler Registered Member

Operating system is Windows XP Professional SP3.

I have just added Thunderbird to the disabled protocol filtering.

I now have task manager running and am looking for resource hogging .. era.exe goes sky high occasionally so I am wondering if that is part of the problem .. I have RA server running on same workstation - I get my policy and updates from there.

Siljaline may have a point - the most likely offender is the Lightning addon to Thunderbird which syncs my Google calendar - it is noticeably sluggish at new entry saves and edits.

5. Foiler

Foiler Registered Member

Will let you know if the protocol filtering setting helps after testing for a day or so.

Just to clarify, the slowness problem does come and go a bit .. am trying to correlate it with CPU utilisation by watching the Task manager system tray icon.

I hadn't previously disabled TB in the protocol filtering because I had thought the protocol filtering only applied to "web" applications ie ports 80, 443 etc.

Is it "safe" to permanently disable TB in the protocol filtering? Where is the setting for that in the config editor (of my RA setup) please?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you exclude Thunderbir from protocol filtering, email won't be scanned for malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.