NOD32 server?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kerrie, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerrie

Kerrie Guest

100% happy NOD32 user here,but Zone Alarm was asking if i wanted to allow Nod32krn.exe to act as a server? I have temp blocked this for now, but any info has to whether i should or shouldn't allow it to act has a server would be appreciated
    Many thanks
    Kerrie

2. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Hello Kerrie,

Being a server means that the application can send data (if I remember correctly ZA's messages). NOD32 2.5 sends anonymous statistical data to Eset if you enabled that, so if you use 2.5 beta, you should let it to do so. I don't know if older ones also transmit data, what version are you using?

Regards,
    SA

3. Kerrie

Kerrie Guest

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm using the latest version of NOD32,but not the beta version2.5
    This was the first time NOD32 had wanted to act as a server,been usuing for 4months now
    Thanks
    Kerrie

4. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Then I'd recommend not enabling it. Then if any feature doesn't work as expected, you can still re-enable it to communicate.
    I can't recall my 2.12.3 asking for outbound connections either. It's unlikely that your antivirus got infected, just to be on the safe side :)
    If no more knowledgeable Eset member replies that NOD32 2.12.3 sending data is a legitimate action, then you could try installing a fresh copy so any possible infection is swept out.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you have set up NOD32 to send alerts about detected infiltrations via SMTP?

6. RayJay

RayJay Registered Member

I don't think the SMTP service is considered a server. I have it enabled and NOD32 has not asked for server permission in ZoneAlarm, even when it sent the test message after configuring it.

7. kerrie

kerrie Guest

No, NOD32 is not setup to send anything via SMTP and i did an av check,this came up clean as did spyware scans ect,have now installed NOD32 2.5 beta version,so far no alerts from ZA
    Thanks for all your help
    Kerrie

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

In the past with many many machines I have seen ZoneAlarm reporting that Nod32 wants to be a server, I have just said yes each time whithout any issues.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I also allowed nod to have server rights, if I didn't trust it it would not be on my comp. in the first place :D

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.