NOD32 scanning archives with AMON !?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by RejZoR, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Funny thing i am noticing all the time is that AMON detects things inside ZIP archives. How's that possible? Here are the steps to reproduce it:

I drag that file from desktop into my Virus Storage folder (which is completely excluded from AMON).
    http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/3460/step14zf.jpg

This is what i get the very same moment i release the mouse button.
    http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8740/step29pd.jpg

Now it's clear that NOD32 scanned that ZIP file with AMON. How comes we can't enable archive scanning for AMON while NOD32 does that without our knowledge? Bug or a feature? Honestly i'd prefer option that would allow us to scan archives in realtime using AMON. If it's bug, try to fix it.

If you need this exact Sober.U sample you can get it in Malware Research under UNA or avast! subsection (i guess Mike could sniff it out ;) ). I can also mail it on your request though...

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

blabla.zip.com ?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No it's a ZIP archive with file inside, not a renamed executable.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Most likely the ZIP compression "method" in this case is store, i.e. no compression. I.e. the virus string is still there.:p

Many "ZIPed" viruses are in fact just stored (because the virus then doesn't have to contain compression code).

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What about CAB archives? Happens many times that AMON triggers when i use Windows Search and it passes over excluded! Virus Storage folder.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume we picked a signature both from the zip and unzipped files, that's why AMON detected it in the zip archive (which was actually treated as a normal file and not as an archive).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.