NOD32 scan speed slowing down?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by besafe, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I have noticed that NOD32 seems to be taking longer to scan nowadays. Has anyone else noticed this? At first, I thought it was merely that I turned the system restore on and that the increasing number of files was causing an increased scan time. So I turned off system restore and NOD32 is still taking longer to scan.

On June 6th, NOD took 31 minutes to scan 389,731 files

On July 4th, NOD took 41 minutes to scan 370,777 files

That is a significant difference. Anyone else have this same phenomenon?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It all depends on the type of files you have on the disk and whether code emulation (advanced heuristics) is enabled or disabled. Also if you have a huge number of archives on the disk, the scanning will last longer.

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

If your hard drive is fragmented does that affect NOD's scan time?

4. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Same computer, same settings (for NOD32), mostly the same files. I updated Superantispyware Pro and upgraded from V6.5 to V7 of Zonealarm. But pretty much, I have the same programs and files as before but the scan is taking is longer (to scan fewer files).

Possible conflict with the new version of SAS Pro? Could my files have changed that significnatly with the updates? Just wondering if I should be concerned.

5. sparx

sparx Registered Member

Could be that the new version of SAS Pro and ZA take up more memory and CPU cycles, thus slowing the computer down slightly as a whole? Are either of those programs running any kind of resident scanner?

6. besafe

besafe Registered Member

SAS Pro has active protections. Zone Alarm doesn't to my knowledge.

7. sparx

sparx Registered Member

Any way to disable the active protections within SAS? Not too familiar with SAS so forgive me if I sound ign'ant. : )

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Uninstall the Pro version and download the Free version which has no real-time shields

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or double click on the icon and go to prefrences, realtime protection.
    and unstick enable realtime protection.
    lodore

10. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    I'm at no means an expert and so, probably am completely wrong with this answer but just a thought...

as a hard drive gets older (closer and closer to failing as they all do), doesn't it actually slow down? So wouldn't an older hard drive have a longer scanning time? Probably not that drastic but if something else were affecting it?

psych1610

11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

psych1610, that could be true, what you could experience in that instance is the drive reading and then re-reading because it detects a read error - so the effective time to get the data to the computer would be increased, and the perception is that the drive is "getting slow" - actually it is no slower, but it's having to re-do the work to get the right result.

hth

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.