NOD32 RC: "missing" settings for context-menu on-demand scanning

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by freesurfer, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

Good day,

Just started testing NOD32 3 RC1 and noticed something "missing" (or just somehow missed it :oops: ): There are no settings for the context-menu on-demand scanning. I've checked the on-demand settings and set all the profiles to strict cleaning (delete when cleaning fails), But when I performed a context-menu scanning on an "infected" file, it just flagged it (as opposed to deleting it). Also, the real-time protection is enabled and set to strict cleaning, if your wondering :).

One might say that scanning thru context-menu is meant to be used for quick scanning. But for me, why perform two scans (the second is when an infection is detected) when your going to remove the infection anyway (Although I also didn't see any settings in the on-demand scanning for quarantine... another "missing" feature?). And why go thru all the trouble of opening the UI, starting an on-demand scan, and searching for the folders/drives to scan when you can do it thru the context menu?

My apologies for the long post. Just in case I was correct (about the missing context-menu on-demand scanning settings and its quarantine options), I want to justify its existence :)

Regards

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The default "My profile" profile should be used for contextual menu scans.

3. freesurfer

Thanks for the reply.

NOD32 RC1's profiles for on-demand scanning didn't list any "My profile". Should I create one (and NOD32 will automatically use it for contextual scan) or was there a new release/minor update that has settings for contextual scan (I have version 3.0.414.0).

Regards

4. freesurfer

Just tried creating a "My profile" (set to strict cleaning) and it didn't work.

Regards

5. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

same here

created my profile - after closing its gone

Ruben

6. freesurfer

What? No more replies? Atleast please tell me whether contextual on-demand scanning settings will be added or not in the final release.

Regards.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It worked for me fine. I disabled scanning files, saved the changes to the "My profile" profile and subsequently scanned the Windows folder. The result was:

Scanning Log
    Version of virus signature database: 2558 (2007092:cool:
    Date: 28.9.2007 Time: 12:40:42
    Scanned disks, folders and files: C:\WINDOWS
    Number of scanned objects: 0
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 12:40:51 Total scanning time: 9 sec (00:00:09)

8. freesurfer

Thanks again for the reply, but I can't seem to understand what you meant by:
    and also could you set the profile's cleaning level to strict cleaning and scan a folder with a virus/malware (non-cleanable and non-compressed) using the command from the context-menu? If this is the way to configure the context-menu on-demand scanning then the virus/malware should be deleted automatically.

Please remember, just in case there are confusions:
    - software: NOD32 Antivirus RC1.
    - objective: configure the context-menu on-demand scanning (such as setting the cleaning level to strict cleaning).

Regards

9. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I don't have this "my profile" either, but I have not tried context menu scanning on anything "infected".

Attached Files:

10. freesurfer

Okay, I made a mistake. I failed to notice the Advanced options in the context-menu (My bad :oops:) and it's good to know that it has Clean files command.

Now I would like to know is whether the settings for the context-menu on-demand scanning is set to paranoid ..errr.. maximum protection or not. If not, I'll insist on having a configurable settings to allow maximum protection.

Regards.

11. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I still don't understand what this 'My Profile' thing is. This seems very unintuitive... we just want a profile for contextual scans. This should really be added to avoid confusion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.