NOD32 Questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by paulbeattie87, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulbeattie87

paulbeattie87 Registered Member

Looking at getting NOD 32 v3 Smart Security/Anti Virus (undecided on version) Business edition.

It will be required to work on 2 Windows XP and 4 Windows 2000 machines. Specs vary from a P4 with 128MB RAM right up to a Athlon 64 X2 2.3Ghz with 2GB RAM. I have no worry about it running on the high end hardware, but how will it run on the lower spec machines, the P4's? Initial testing seems promising on one of our mid-range computers, but I will be unable to test it on the lower spec machines before deployment.

The second requirement and more challenging question is the remote administration application provided with the business editions. The "server" which it will be installed on will not be on 24/7/365. Would it be possible for the clients to get settings/policies etc from the "server" when it is online and get updates direct from Eset? Hopefully it can work that way, its not possible to have it running on the main server (highly customised SCO Openserver).

Mail clients used are Outlook (XP & 2003), Outlook Express and Thunderbird. It seems to work well with Outlook and OE but Thunderbird I'm not so sure about. It is just one machine running Thunderbird so its not crucial.

We are currently using AVG 7.5 across the business but having tested their latest version (8.0) and read the issues with it on these very forums we wont be renewing with AVG this time round. Version 8.0 is extremely poor.

We are also looking at the possibility of Kaspersky 7, it seems to be extremely good at detection but very resource intensive. NOD does look to be the way to go. Any recommendation's? ;)

Currently have one machine running on AV home edition trial, I presume the business edition is the same but the ability to remotely administer the client?

Hopefully somebody can answer my questions, any tips etc are all welcome.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you have Windows XP with 128 RAM , of course it will not be good and programs may not run on XP 128 RAM. But if this is on Windows 2000 you should have no problems . Moreover , you purchase a license for the newest product (NOD32 v3 and/or ESS v3) but ESET allows you use a previous version (NOD32 v 2.7) which will run ligher on old machine like the one with 128 RAM should the latest v3 doesn't :thumb: Both v2.7 and v3 are supported :thumb:

Sure , it can work the way you want it . You only need to configure the clients update from the internet from ESET servers(Choose automatically server) and then have their Username/Password entered in the program settings . In addition configure them report to ESET RA Server.

ESET programs integrates fine with OE , Outlook . ESET are currently working on full integration with Thunderbird. Because of the integration with OE/Outlook , all the mail (no matter the way you get it) will be scanned . With Thunderbird , its traffic will be scanned only if you use POP3.

Don't worry because in all cases the real-time file access protection will be working and it will not allow you activate any possible threats.

Stay with ESET and you won't go the wrong way :thumb:

Precisely true.

3. paulbeattie87

paulbeattie87 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!

Pleased to hear that NOD is able to carry out all the functions required. Scan speed is also very quick, it really gets through data!

It is a shame to be leaving AVG, version 7.5 was good and has served us well for 2 years and the renewal price isn't bad considering the amount they throw into the package. Version 8 has problems with Vista, FAT32 partitions, different browsers with their new linkscanner. The new renewal price quoted by Grisoft for the "suite" version is well outside the budget. Think its about double Eset for the same term etc.

Security software is a strange one, theirs not really one place you can get a good test of AV software and say yup thats a good test. That said a virus was found with AVG the other day so I decided to see what other scanners picked it up, Eset, AVG and Kaspersky and a couple of others detected it using a online scanner which I have forgotten the name of, it used multiple engines and reported back the results.

Now to test Kaspersky, they might lose the sale based on the HIGHLY confusing packages offered! Kaspersky SOS Workspace Edition I think is the one I need to look at but not sure! They could do with simplifying their product line!

Now to scuttle off and request the Eset trial :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.