NOD32 Question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Verb8m, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verb8m

Verb8m Registered Member

I am a court reporter by trade. I do real-time for the hearing impaired. I had a trial version of NOD that I liked very much. However, I have now downloaded a full purchased version. I must turn off NOD while I am real-timing. I am not on the internet during that time. Even though I am not on-line, it appears to be shutting down my real-time. Is there some setting that I can turn off besides just turning off the software completely that will stop this freeze-up? Any help would be appreciated. TIA Susan

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Verb8m,

Welcome to Wilders!

Can you offer more details on the problem? The exact name of the program you use, what antivirus did you use previously, operating system in use, and so on.
    Did the trial version work alright?

3. Verb8m

Verb8m Registered Member

Ronjor, thanks for your quick reply.

I am on a Toshiba Satellite loaded with Windows Vista. The computer is just over 30 days old. When I purchased it, I immediately deleted McAfee and downloaded the NOD32 trial. It seems that many of my fellow court reporters use and love NOD.

Anyway, the trial version ran perfectly. Now that I'm on the full version, I am having freeze-up issues. I am running Stenograph Case Catalyst 8.03 software to provide real-time translation for the hearing impaired during trial testimony. Even though I quit my NOD at the start-up of each real-time session, it appears it is continuing to run in the background. The freeze-up that I'm getting is a total stoppage of all testimony running across the screen. I can still use my cursor and do my regular shut-down, but the testimony stops appearing on the screen. It's frustrating for everyone involved.

I did just talk to someone from your support center and he suggested that I disable the AMON. I have done that and will see if it helps. However, if you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

TIA, Susan

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I wonder what changed as the trial and paid version are basically the same?

As for Amon, if you disable it, you have lost the most important protection of the program.

Did you install over the trial version or do a clean install?

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Just yesterday I met a Toshiba Satelite laptop and what I noticed is that they come bundled with lots of unnecessary Toshiba applications .

I would uninstall them all because I have heard that NOD and other AV might be incompatible with them . Plus you really don't need them .

Then you must ensure that McAfee is completely removed - you can download and run a removal tool from
    http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1280x1024
    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

ADD:

1) Download a fresh copy of NOD32 v 2.7 for your correct operating system
    Full paid version

2) Goto Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot

4) Goto C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Install NOD32 from the file you just downloaded in step 1
    Use Typical settings

6) Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nod32krn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and Update NOD

What about if you open AMON -> Setup -> "Exclusions" tab and add the incompatible program's files/folders

If the exclusions don't work , try to open AMON -> Setup -> In "Detection" tab , press Extensions button and uncheck Scan all files . Then a list with common extensions will appear . Confirm with OK and Hide the Control Center

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  6. Verb8m

Verb8m Registered Member

Thanks, Ronjor and HiTech Boy.....I am only going to disable AMON when I'm doing real-time. I will have it enabled the rest of the time. I will find out Monday when I go back to work if this has helped.

I did install my new full version over the top of the trial version of NOD.

Also, HiTech Boy, you're not the first person to tell me about Toshiba having a lot of applications I don't need. Could you enlighten me as to what those programs would be? I really don't do any game playing or entertainment on this computer; I use it strictly for work.

TIA. Susan

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is wrong . Then I would also suggest you reinstall NOD32.

Just open Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and you'll see them (Toshiba...utilities or something else at the bottom of the list)

8. Verb8m

Verb8m Registered Member

Thanks for all your help, HiTech Boy. I did as you suggested. I deleted my other version of NOD and did a re-install.

As far as the Toshiba applications, I'm really concerned about deleting them. I'm just not that computer savvy. :eek:

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem. If not, I'll be back on here on Monday looking for further guidance. Have a wonderful weekend!

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

all box pc manufacturers includes a load of "extras" - junk normally. Even building my latest machine from scratch components I had to be careful and do custom installations of every driver and make sure I unchecked those things I didn't want... my nice fast gamer would be bogged down with "extras" otherwise! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.