NOD32 Quarantine... good?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by OPETH, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OPETH

OPETH Guest

What about NOD32 quarantine? I´ve heard that it is not good, and that some viruses may be reactivated inside the NOD32´s quarantine.. is it true? Or NOD32 quarantine is as good as McAfee and others AVs` quarantine?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It wouldn't be quarantine if you could execute files in it? Quarantine is quarantine. Doesn't make a difference if it comes from ESET, McAfee or Kaspersky. They all work same way.

3. OPETH

OPETH Guest

McAfee rename the file putting a ".vir" extension on the infected file... does nod32 do this?

4. zashita

zashita Registered Member

Nod32 split it in 2 files with extentions NQI and . NQF, and it is not only an extension change ...
    I renamed a file in my quarantine folder (original extension) and ran a scan ... nothing detected.
    I restored the file and ran a scan ... and a threat was detected.

Thrn it is not only an extension change
    It is safer like this ;)

5. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

KAV can read the quarentine folder and can say what kind of file is.

6. OPETH

OPETH Guest

I don´t really know how NOD32 quarantine works... I tried to execute the file in quarantine (eicar test file), the windows asked me in wich program I want to execute the file, so I choosed wordpad and the file opened!! Is there any problem? With McAfee enteprise, I couldn´t even click in the file quarantined...

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/5659/desknod2vz.jpg

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

All that I know those files are encrypted.

8. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Of course the file opened. Using notepad you can open almost any file...

As you can see from your screen shot the file is NOT the eicar test virus... This is:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Ooh look, i'm now classed as a regular poster. Whoo hoo!!! :D

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

First of all you CANNOT execute it from Quarantine from inside NOD32 Control Center. Second, does that string looks like EICAR string? I don't think so...
    Thats because it's encrypted and thus useless as a file.

10. OPETH

OPETH Guest

So nod32 quarantine is so good as mcafee´s quarantine? I´ve read somewhere (think PcMagazine) that McAfee was the best in quarantine...

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What difference does it make? It's quarantine like any other. They all work the same. But i found those that just change extension into .vir to be less effective because files tend to get detected over and over again when you use option that scans all files regardless of extension. McAfee and AntiVir are one of such...

12. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Even if one takes the .NQF file and renames it to the original name, it will not execute (file is encoded). The Quarantine module does allow for proper decoding of the file using the Restore and/or Restore to functions. Programs that tag the file(s) with the .NQF extension as an infection are doing so incorrectly (false positive).

For example:

Attached Files:

13. OPETH

OPETH Guest

So there is not any kind of vulnerability in nod32´s quarantine?

14. Manager

Manager Registered Member

The best quarentine is of Mcafee products. The quarentine is important when the antivírus detect an viroses because it´s the moment that the app isolate the infected extension.
    The Nod´s quarentine is moderate, with some mistakes and failures!

15. OPETH

OPETH Guest

What kind of mistakes? Marcos and Happy Bytes should comment in this Thread...

16. Manager

Manager Registered Member

A Albanian´s hacker (Justmt) announced that Nod32 can to have some vulnerability in the quarantine with specific infected extension when the antivirus was submeted experience in the laboratory!

17. rumpstah

Hi Manager:

Since the NOD32 quarantine encrypts files and does not "simply" rename them with a "specific infected extension" (i.e. badfile.exe.vir)... How about pointing readers to the article or thread.

18. OPETH

OPETH Guest

Mananger does not have an article... this vulnerability does not exists...

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Omg, people are incredible. They make all weird things about quarantine.
    It's just QUARANTINE. What vulnerability,what complications!?!?!? It's there and it works. I wonder how can you say McAfee's one is better than NOD32's? Based on what? Then i can say avast!'s one is even better. Quarantine just stores files in safe state so you can't execute them by mistake. But if you tend to do all that to execute it, resident scanner would pick it again anyway. If you go even further and disable AMON (the resident part) well then it's solely your fault about getting infected. So please, PLEASE stop complicating :rolleyes: You can't expect some high grade 4096bit encryption just to store infected files :rolleyes:

20. rumpstah

That was the point. ;)

21. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Using public key cryptography just to prevent others to scan your quarantine could be a bit overkill :D
    On the other hand "they" have some experiences in code-breaking :cool:

22. gue_st

gue_st Guest

For sure, Kaspersky AV doesn't tag any file with .NQF extension as infection.

23. POS

POS Guest

@guest_st

Yes it does... I´ve made a online scan with kaspersky and it detected the files in NOD32´s quarantine as some trojans

24. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Currently KAV and 2 other AV's can scan the files that NOD has in quarantine (last time I checked anyways).

25. gue_st

gue_st Guest

I encrypted two viruses, changed extension to .NQF and KAV online scanner does not detect them as infected.
    Probably, you just need to encrypt better...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.