NOD32 protection compared to KAV protection

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Defenestration, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure Rich :D

Cheers :D

2. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

yea.. I guess we did stray a bit....
    thanks...

3. rug

rug Guest

I pick a more simple approach:
    1. linksys router with sveasoft firmware (firewall etc...)
    2. outpost 2.5
    3. nod32

I use firefox for browsing and thunderbird for mail. I have never made the mistake of opening stupid attachments.

Back to topic though: it seems to me that Kaspersky has better detection rates and it generally on top of their game. However, I found kaspersky to use the most cpu time out of any AV I tested and I hate slow downs (which were very visible). I tried Network Associates 8.0i but that slowed me down also. Nod32 has so far been the only one I am satisfied with from a performance standpoint.

I have a 2.26 ghz p4 (sans HT) 512 mb memory and fast 8mb cache hard drives.

Even with outpost I had problems of resource usage until I disabled logging. When I had many open connections to my comp, i would routinely see outpost using 2-4 percent of the cpu.

4. windstrings

I run and amd64 3200 with two 8mb cache ibm sata drives raided together for speed, the other two drives are 8mb ibm ide drives, on an abit K8V SE motherboard and 1 gig 3200 Ram, ati9700 video etc etc..... I do like speed and its a crying shame to have to lug your system down for a virus that you may get once in a blue moon?

I take care not to load my C drive too heavy. Only with program installs... no storage like movies, mpgs etc.... they all go on my other drives.
    Then I also have a directory reserved for my "Ghost" files.
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/
    This is where I keep a compressed file image of my "whole C drive"... I back this up... say every 2 weeks or so... but only if I am confident everything is running like a top!... I keep two of these backups..... one and then the one before that!

IN this fashion, you don't have to be paralyzed at the prosect of a virus... its nice if you don't get one, but all else fails and you get trashed... you can reghost your whole C drive back from your image file!.... it completely overwrites any virus you may have gotten!

Maybe in this way.. you can "afford" to ease up a little and get back your speed and still have excellent virus protection without running several virus programs at once!

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just thought id post my 2 cents on this ongoing issue...anyways i feel NOD32 is a powerful AV for its small resource usage. it has a hell of a lot of VB100 awards, and it catches virii in archives better than many other AV. i would have liked to use or even start KAV but it uses too much of my moms computer CPU. i used KAV (non-PRO) on my comp for a while but it was too simple and it failed to catch the eicar test virii. KAVPP is even worse with resources, so i dont know if it is capable of catching eicar or ne virii in archives. If you have a powerful comp, then KAV should be considered. however for me and ne other ppl w/ older computers, NOD32 would be the best choice.

6. windstrings

I suppose if someone doesn't quite "trust" the thoroughness of nod32... they could install KAV, but just not install the monitor or at least not run it....
    They could use it for scanning the hardrive on demand. this should not slow anything down as long as it is not "monitoring" anything per se.

But I still doubt they would even become convinced, because nod would catch things on the fly with its monitor before they had a chance to get on the hardrive.. However if they did a scan with KAV and ever found a virus that nod missed, then they may be justified.

Of course then you would be plaqued with the question..... "What if I would have done it the other way around?... monitored with kav and tested with nods on demand scanner to see what kav missed?"

Who knows.... I'm not willing to spend a year finding a virus to test.... If someone has some zoo viruses they could test, but then nod is killer on "in the wild" viruses... the ones that will find you!

Its a tough decision..... I myself just weigh the pros and cons of other peoples findings... then I have to pick one and go with it and let my own experience be my guide after that!

It would fun however to take a machine that is all screwed up thats been running without av at all, and install both and do a scan and "not" delete any findings until the other is also ran, and logs which finds what?

This would impress me more than all these test where viruses are "planted" out of zoo collections that we should never see in the wild.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

So when will you be around to one of my shops? We do this on a daily basis, I am impressed with the results of Nod32 each and every day :D :D :D

The current record that we have of infected files on a single PC is 72,009 This person was wondering why his PC was slow ;) :D

Cheers :D

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Windstrings,

Yes, it would be nice to hear from users who have been running both NOD32 and KAV. Personally, I use to run NAV 2003 with various ATs and Kav on-demand and there definitely were leaks. I haven't been running KAV real-time long enough to have any real experience - especially since I am more careful nowadays while surfing. Despite my careful habits though, I popped into a website (looking for information about a "spware cookie" that Ewido detected), and "bam". Apparently, it took over Firefox but couldn't get anywhere and I was able to terminate it with WinPatrol. Gosh, it's tough surfing nowadays.

Anyways, if anyone has used NOD32 and KAV side-by-side for a while, it would be interesting to hear experiences. I am thinking about purchasing NOD32 either as an on-demand backup for KAv 4.5.104 or my real-time. Either is O.K for real-time since I do not see any slowdown, other than when I am running a complete security scan.

Rich

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I consider 1 to be too many, that's INSANE! Geez, next time you end up with one of those maybe you should post the results of a few different scanners :D At least that would reflect something resembling real world results.

10. windstrings

Ha.. thats funny.... I ran pestpatrol on a friends computer once and found over 1200 pests!..... but I"m amazed the one you had would even get to windows! :doubt:

11. windstrings

The only reason those slime balls get away with putting so much crap online to infest computers anymore... "including propietary stuff from computer vendors and third party stuff" is because computers are so fast and have so much ram... often, they go unnoticed!
    Fortunately they all are not compatible with each other and often are crap even stand-a-lone, so that computer bog is easy to trace.. especially on "dialup" as the pests and trogans all compete for the same small online bandwidth and computer resources!

As computers get faster, they will keep trying new tricks.. but fortunately those fast computers can also handle good software to track and kill these viruses and pest with ease!...

I feel for those folks who still try to surf the web with a slow dialup computer!!! If you are one of those..... nod32 is one of your very best choices for good av without sucking up system resources.... but there are smaller ones yet.... but they aren't near as robust either.
    Unfortunatly, all it takes is "one" pest or trogan or virus to really get you stuck in the mud...
    thats why I really encourage the ghosting idea, or something similiar.

Kaspersky might be fun just to scan with on demand, but from what I hear... I don't want the tiny percentage of extra dat coverage for viruses Ill never see anyways in exchange for my performance.

After trying mks_vir..... which suppposedly is better than kav, I didn't even care to try.... it slugged down opening programs enough as it was.
    Ill stick with nod32 till it proves me wrong.

When a new dat file comes out every few hours from nod32... http://www.nod32.com/support/info.htm it give me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing they are not sleeping in the lab, but are constantly working to keep cutting edge to protect "my" computer!

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I can support that! We cleaned a computer last week with NOD32 and quit counting at 23K infected files...more than 50% of ALL the files on the computer!

:D

13. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

I completly agree with the above posts, I cleaned a PC running WIN98 SE, the owner was shopping for a new hard drive, NOD32 cleared 5GB of crap off the 10GB HD, not looking for a new HD any more.

Even with that slow PC [533mhz/64mb] Nod scan completed in 15 mins, with full detection settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.