NOD32, Port Explorer, Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Vietnam Vet, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi,

Recently did a reformat on 98SE computer. Installed 2.70.39 version of NOD32, 6.1.744.001 version of Zone Alarm Free(last version that worked on 98SE), and the 2.150 version of Port Explorer. Using that combination, when connecting to the net(dial-up), ZA doesn't recognize or acknowledge, as the case may be, NOD32 or any other programs attempts to access the internet.:'( Tried the usual suggestions like unchecking the Repair Network Configuration box in IMON and installing Port Explorer first. Long story short, nothing I try works.

Went back to the 2.110 version of Port Explorer, everything works fine. To my way of thinking, the problem lies with Port Explorer, but since DCS isn't available, here I am. Any solutions, suggestions, or even a prayer to get the latest version of Port Explorer to work in this situation?:doubt:

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Please see HERE

Cheers :D

3. Vietnam Vet

Hello Blackspear,

Went back and reinstalled the 2.150 version of PE again, then ran LSPFix, which wanted to remove one entry, which looked like this: o_O?(©o_O?
    That entry belonged to PE, so of course, then PE no longer initializes properly.
    OK, fix that.
    Now that brings us to what I am guessing is the real problem. I would expect the file name entry to look like this: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DCSWS2.DLL
    Unless the o_O?(©o_O? entry means something I am unaware of, it would seem that windows doesn't know the path to the proper file whick breaks the LSP chain, and when NOD32 adds it's protection, it is just protecting an unknown entity.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    VV

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am really sorry for interrupting and sorry for the ~stupid" question but why do you need Port Explorer ? Since the new version makes you problems , you can easily get rid of it .

Zone Alarm and NOD32 are very good combination. You may also buy a NAT device/router . IMHO Port explorer is unnecessary.

If I were you , I would immediately:
    - Uninstall Port Explorer
    - Make sure all tracks are gone
    - Run LSP fix
    - Reinstall NOD32

In case you notice IMON makes your computer problem , you can also that easily disable IMON (install NOD32 without it by using Advanced/Expert installation) . If AMON is enabled , IMON would not be that important :thumb:

5. Vietnam Vet

Hello HiTech_boy,

No such thing as a stupid question, although you may possibly get a stupid answer....
    Currently running the 2.110 version, which causes no problems. Why do I run it? Long story short, because I want to.

I do not believe NOD32 is the problem. Connection broken even without IMON's network configuration repairs. Thread is here because DCS is not here, there or anywhere as far as I can see.

The 2.150 version of Port Explorer was described as a relatively minor update. If there is no solution to my problem with it, I will continue to run the older version as long as the 98SE system survives. Survives is a debateable notion anyway:cautious:

Thanks for the reply,
    VV

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Mine Win98 couldn't survive to see the birth of his younger sister Vista ... and met the trash bin :D

I hope Blackspear or someone else can "solve" your problem with the newer version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.