NOD32/Pest Patrol Problem.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by spy1, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Further info: I tried d/l'ing and installing PP this morning and, while I came up pest-free (surprise!) , I did get the following two alerts from NOD32:

"Sun May 05/12/2002 12:25:15 - Virus alarm by NOD32 detected on BITEME computer: c:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPMEMCHE.EXE infected with probably unknown WIN32 virus.
    Sun May 05/12/2002 12:25:15 - Virus alarm by NOD32 detected on BITEME computer: c:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPDLL.DLL infected with probably unknown WIN32 virus."

Got the PP d/l from their main d/l site and was getting these alerts from NOD32 from the time I tried to install it, now getting them on each re-start or re-boot of the computer or any time I run PP.

Anyone else running these two programs together - either getting an alert or not getting the alert from NOD32?

(I'm fixing to un-install PP so I can get rid of the warnings and note - I am not getting alerts from eTrustAV, AVG, The Cleaner, Tauscan, TDS, Swat It or pgremove.

HOWEVER , running rmbox's start-up log, I see the following info:

WININIT.BAK File - (c:\windows\wininit.bak)
    -=================-

[rename]
    C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe=C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\~GLH0011.TMP
    C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPDLL.dll=C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\~GLH0013.TMP   and

1. HKLM Run - Registry

[RegPath]
        "StartUp"

"PPMemCheck"="\"C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PESTPATROL\\PPMemCheck.exe\" , which I thought rather odd. PP isn't showing when I do a C/A/D.

I posted to PestPatrol's forum about this, and I'm putting this in the AV forum here. Pete

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Pete,

On about April 8, 2002, I have had contact with both David Stang (PP) and Anton Zajac (NOD32) about NOD32 giving an alert about PPMemCheck.exe in PP.
    It was a false positive.
    I thought the problem was fixed by ESET very quickly after that.

I thought that there were also postings about it at the PP-forum, but somehow I cannot find it now (maybe my fault).

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Jan, NOD has already written me back, requesting that I send them the files that got alerted on. Since I've already un-installed PP, I'll have to re-d/l when I get the chance to do so.

My question about it is still sittting in the PP forum with no response, and I'm beginning to wonder if it was a solid (good) alert by NOD. Pete

4. murve

murve Registered Member

o_Ohi,
    i posted a message on pp's forum a week ago stating that i was getting warnings from nod32 that ppmemcheck.exe and ppdll.dll were considered as win32 memory virii. I got in touch with doctor stang at pp and he assured me that it was not a pp issue and that he had mentioned it to anton at nod32. doctor stang mentioned that nod av scanning engine was picking up the 2 files and they were false positives and not to worry. this is the 2nd time this has happened in the last 2 months and the 2nd time i have approached pp and nod32. further, i e-mailed nod's anton zajac a 2nd time cause the solution given me does not make any sense that being the solution given by pp"wait for another nod virus update." i don't think its the virus update that's going to change anythig but a change in the scanning engine.  
    Tell me why should you have to turn off ppmemcheck to appease nod32's failure to solve the problem that is being caused by them!
    You know it gets quit boring after a while when you have to exclude both files everyday at boot up or when ever you scan your computer.
    sorry for the rancour,
    cheers,
    old murve

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Murve,

Could you do me a favor and forward the emails to/from Anton Zajac and David Stang to me? addy: webmaster@wilders.org

regards.

paul

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Murve,

Received the relevant emails; thanks. Eset will be contacted.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.