NOD32 or KIS 2006?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gracie123, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello, I've heard rumors from friends that their may be a new version of NOD32 coming out and a new version from Kaspersky called Kaspersky Internet Security 2006...

My question is, I am on a LAN with 5 other PCs on my wireless network. Would NOD32 or Kaspersky Internet Security be a better choice for trying to stay safe from malware... I also hear that KIS versions have been released for users to test so I would like to ask... would KIS features be better at eliminating malware than having NOD32?

Thanks....

Gracie

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Between NOD32 and KAV you always have the best protection agaisn't malware, so wait for the new versions, test them on your system, and see what it's better for your needs... ;)

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Your friends are right, NOD32 V3 and KIS 2k6 are being developed.

4. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

A question here. I'm using NOD32 V2.0, as I beleive that their bringing out V3.0 sometime in the near future, would I be entitled to a free upgrade to V3.0. And if so, how would this be done. Can I upgrade directly from the NOD32 control panel by clicking on the update now button or would I need to re-down load the the new version and re-install it.

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You are always entitled to the upgrade. When it is released you can go to NOD's homepage and download it directly with your license number. Or you can wait and it will be fed out through the updater. I am impatient and always pounce on the download, new toys and all yah know...:cool:

6. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

You are comparing an internet security suite to just an AV (I'm not sure why you would )but to answer your question of course the Suite should be the best choice. If you have more questions please feel free to post.

Thanks,

Chris

7. gracie123

Hi Chris,

I guess I'll have to wait and compare both products when they come out :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  8. Kill

Kill Guest

I think when NOD32 ver3 comes, it will be better than KAV 2006...

9. Chris12923

Gracie,

I see you have edited you message but I will try to answer based your post before you edited it. From my personal use and what I have seen on this board and others KAV has better (more) definitions. NOD has better Hueristics. Lately NOD has really kicked it up a notch though and version 3 will likely be even better based on the way ESET has been going. It also depends on your usage I mean NOD does have 33 consecutive VBA awards. Then again if you encounter more zoo virus' than this may not matter much. Also NOD stops quite a few worms even without a definition update. I am a NOD user so I tend to think NOD is better but I am probably biased :)

Thanks,

Chris

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Gracie

Don't let yourself get confused be users posting their personal opinion about which one is best, the simple fact is that both are good choices and you should try them both to see which you like best.

Don't get caught up in statements about:VBA awards, zoo viruses, proactive defense, advanced heuristics, signatures etc.

Use Nod 3.0 when it arrives and then trial Kav or Kis 2006 and make your decision.:)

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just hope they won't change interface in NOD32 3.0 (much).
    Especially not virus detected red messages with matrix like animation of characters in the background. I found it to be one of the nicest interfaces around. At least for me.

12. Chris12923

Don,

I hope you are not referring to me. If you read Gracies original question I feel I answered it unbiased in my first post of course the suite would be better.

As far as my second post this was Gracies question before he edited it.

"Well, I am more less curious if I should trust Kaspersky or NOD32 for virus updates. I've heard Kaspersky has some
    features that sound good in the versions that have been released of the Suite but wondering if NOD32 or Kaspersky.. which
    would be the better choice for trusting virus definitions."

I feel I answered it and then some. If you were not referring to me sorry for your time. I just don't want Gracie to think my answers were not correct. All the info I posted is correct to my knowledge.

Thanks,

Chris

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, not at all Chris, i just had a feeling where this could be heading with the usual Nod/Kav battle.

IMO which ever you choose as a normal risk user should be based on which program you like the best, not on the other stuff, both are top AV's.

I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack on your opinion.:)

14. Chris12923

No problem at all. Definately I agree with you if he/she asked which is the better AV they have to try them and find out which is best for their needs. I tried to answer the specific questions asked using most factual info I could. But yeah when I first saw the post I was thinking Oh no not another which is better....

Thanks,

Chris

15. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd go out on a limb and say that all antivirus brands out there have a new version coming out.

Albinoni, version 2.5 came out last winter...with some major improvements...you should upgrade your old 2.0.

16. mHKm

mHKm Registered Member

best protection = Process guard + kav2006 + outpost pro 3
    ;)

17. grnic

grnic Guest

>> Also NOD stops quite a few worms even without a definition update
    KIS has the same feature in the Proactive Defence subsystem (in addition to the base heuristics for Trojans & Backdoors).

18. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

but are they as effective? ;)

19. gracie123

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the posts (replys). I think I will test both when they come out, but so far, I am thinking Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2006 will be the one for me.. we'll see what Eset (NOD32) offers in their new NOD32 :)

Thanks again,

Gracie

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 has protected its users from all recent numerous outbreaks immediately without needing to update. Hopefully someone will make a comparison of reaction times of AV vendors.

21. gracie123

Marcos,

Could you tell me any features that are coming out with the new NOD32 or is it too early to say or your not allowed to say? I understand completely if Eset is not allowed to disclose details, just wondering. :)

Thanks,

Gracie

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No, I can't yet. But I think it will be a nice surprise when it comes out :)

23. gracie123

Okay Marcos, I will stay tuned to NOD32 website and this forum :)

24. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Never heard this before. Does the "outbreak" cover trojan like nasties too? If so, we don't need signatures anymore in NOD32! :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

25. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

What do you think what spammed TrojanDownloaders (bagle) are?
    Colorized Smarties? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.