Nod32 or Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kentish, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

As the title says, I am choosing between one of the mentioned AV programes after finding a virus on my machine which Panda failed to find (actually a Trojan, which TDS3 didnt either....).
    So as my license with Panda runs out shortly, I have been trialling a few AV products. For my free program, I will run Avast as it seems better than AVG (any thought there?), and for my paid up full license I think I will go with either NOD32 or Kaspersky. My main concern is the impact on resources, which up until now is the reason why I have never had a an AV product running in the background and only on-demand.
    As that would appear to almost be an impossibility (plus the protection given to the rest of my family ) I am ready to accept constant running in the background of an AV product, just as long as it doesnt impede my on-line gaming.

So my question really is which one IN YOUR OPINION is the better suited to me?.

I understand we have our favourites, and mine up until now was Panda, but I accept they may not be as good as they were/was so I am ready to move on.

I dont want mine is better than yours type stuff, just opinions/expeiriences of either of these 2, or another if you prefer yours and its not listed.

Cheers.

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Some advantages of NOD:
    -Use much less memory than KAV,
    -Detect many new unknown viruses/trojans via heuristic,
    -Scan the hard drive in less time,
    -Scan incoming mail at winsock level,
    -24 VB award earned.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi, Kentish. If System Resources is your main concern I can recommend that you try eTrust EZ. It has the least impact on my System Resources on this antiquated system of mine than any other AV that I have ever tried (I have tried at least 8 of them). NOD is also very good with System Resources and many folks in this groups will argue till they are blue in the face that NOD is the best at detecting viruses. I don't use NOD, even though I own it, because of compatibility problems. The only thing I do not like about eTrust is that it does not provide live scanning of incoming email, but that is not a concern for me since my ISP scans it for me plus I have GoBack should I ever get infected. Whatever you choose, good luck! :cool:

Here is one review of eTrust:
    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/eTrust_EZ_Antivirus_6_1/4505-3514_16-21003825.html

Acadia

4. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

You say you found a virus Kentish, that Panda and TDS-3 missed, can you tell us what programme you used to find the virus you had? Was it an online scanner type like Trend Micro's Home Scan?

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Furthermore to swisscoms' post, can you identify the trojan, and even send the sample to DCS and Panda?

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

before complaining @ a forum about product xxxx not detecting something MAKE SURE THAT IT IS DETECTED BY SUBMITTING THE VIRUS TO THE VENDOR IN QUESTION.. this way you'll protect not only yourself, but all the other users of that product too..

are you sure it was a real trojan and not a spyware? some av's/at's have added spyware detections too,classified as a trojan

7. I like and trust KAV.......

8. Kentish

I have deleted the damned thing now, but its was listed by Avast, Nod and Kaspersky as a trojan (class b loader??), and was emebedded in a zip file for Java applications.

I realised it would have been better to have submitted it, but I figured surely 3 AV (agreed not AT) proggies all saying the same thing cant be wrong, 1 maybe but not 3.

9. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

I have a feeling it might have been Java_Byte verifiy, or Java NoCheat, or Fortnight as they love to hide in the Zips. Do those names look familiar Kentish?

10. Kentish

Cant really remember m8, but I do remember the thing said loader at the end of it.
    All I do know is that Panda or TDS3 didnt flag it, but Avast, Nod and Kaspersky did.

But dont get me wrong, I am not moaning about TDS3 at all, it still has my full confidence. I am more concerned with the Panda failure to flag it.

So far with my trialings, I am tempted towards Nod, simply because it seems leaner to work with and run, and definately doesnt impact on my system as much (Athlon 2.5 gig Barton, 512 Meg ) which is important for my on-line gaming, but keeping protection at the same time.

Added..
    Found this in the Nod scan logs..........does it help?

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\archive.jar-27ef23b8-122112a0.zip > ZIP > RunString.class - Java/ClassLoader.B trojan

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\xp.jar-103b60e-5a79d600.zip > ZIP > RunString.class - Java/ClassLoader.B trojan

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

HI Kentish, I use NOD32 & TDS3 together with absolutely no problems on one PC & KAV & TDS3 on another again with no prblems. Both are excellent AV's IMHO

12. Kentish

I run TDS3, Wormguard, Regprot, Process Guard, all running in the background, and Digital Patrol and Avast on demand only. I also have Adaware, Spybot and Tracks Eraser Pro to clean out any other little interesting things.

So far, Nod appears to offer no conflicts and so is looking favourite for me.

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Kentish,

Better clean out that cache ;)

regards.

paul

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I use KAV for the overall detection rates, but NOD32 is definitely improving.

15. storm3

storm3 Guest

I bought F-secure 2004 internet security. Is this software good comparing to NOD and KAV? I bought because it won virus.gr test

o_O?

16. gus

gus Guest

F-Secure using KAV engine = very good software ;)

But virus.gr tests are amateurish.

Its not possible to do HIGH QUALITY tests, when author of virus.gr:

- dont know, how many viruses are in his collection
    - is not able to replicate polymorphic viruses
    - testing jokes programs, creating tools etc...

VirusP (author) is only snipped - no bashing please - paul :D

17. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi,

KAV becomes better and better, in the upcoming Version 5.x there will be an performance improvement and use much less memory as NOD32V2 it does!
    And the self-protection is improved, too!

So wait until the beta test is over and there the new KAV 5.x is released! :D

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

18. Paul Wilders

Ins,

...then again: we are talking existing Final Releases in this thread ;)

regards,

paul

19. Kentish

More importantly to me is that my Panda license runs out end of this month and I need to decide on a course of action, one of which isnt waiting for any forthcoming possibilities. Sorry but I need to act now and on current offerings.

PS cache well and truly cleaned out!!

20. Paul Wilders

Well, you have heard several people mention their favorites and for what reasons. In the end it will boil to you making a decision. Then again: you could give one or more a trial as well ;)

;)

regards.

paul

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Paul is absolutly right the end decision is yours. I have an av that I really like but I am constantly trialing different av programs.Who knows I might find one that I like that likes my system, But I will never know if I don't try. There are quit a few good av's out there and you might just find the one you like. The best part is it is free to trial most av's. Good luck on finding the best one for your needs. ;)

22. Kentish

Decision made, and as of today I am an official license holder of Nod32.

It has proved to be very effective already.

Cheers for everyones input and help on this matter.

Kentish

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

I tried both, and I choose NOD32, because it use very low resources compared with KAV, and have a perfect GUI, in my opinion ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.