NOD32 on WinServ - User Profile Issues?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CrookedBloke, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrookedBloke

CrookedBloke Registered Member

No, I'm not reporting any. Well, not from NOD32, anyway.

I'm running some servers that are getting the cr*p kicked out of them by Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 10.1. The AV software doesn't release the user profile hive when the user logs off, causing warnings and errors and the occasional spontaneous reboot. This is on PRODUCTION servers. I don't mean e-mail servers. I mean servers that control PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT.

Are any of you running NOD32 on servers of this type? Does it behave better than SAV? (It could hardly behave worse.)

Thanks.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi ! Welcome to Wilders!

NOD32 behaves much better than Symantec , in general .
    After you completely uninstall SAV , you can get a quote and evauluate NOD32 for yourself for free . Contact ESET to get a free trial license to test :)

www.eset.com/download :thumb:

3. CrookedBloke

Hi,

Thanks for your response. But I'm hoping for a little more.

I already downloaded the trial software, but I was hoping to hear from someone who is actually running the software in a situation like mine.

Let me explain. I'm running an active directory domain with a rather unfortunate design. I didn't get to choose it, but I do get to run it -- after a fashion. It has a number of Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 systems that are domain controllers AND SQL Server application servers. Yes. An unsupported configuration. Not my choice.

Also not my choice, SAV corporate edition 10.1 resides on them. It causes problems on all of the servers. But the hardest-working of the servers was suffering spontaneous reboots every hour until I turned off real-time protection. All of the other servers have the problem in which the user profile hive is not released by the real-time scanner.

This is not my hardware. I just work here. If I rip SAV off of the servers and put trial software on them, and anything at all untoward happens, who do you think will get the blame?

Now I know and trust NOD32 for use on workstations. My wife and I have been customers for a few years. But this is a different thing, and I am talking about running the software on BADLY configured Windows servers that work very hard for a living. They not only act as DCs and run SQL Server, they also do FTP, Services for Unix, and a Distributed File System.

So, what I'm hoping for is word from someone who is actually running this software on servers that are configured as DCs but which are still running SQL Server 2000 at the minimum. This company can't be the only one doing this. And NOD32 would be, I think, a natural choice for someone who was trying to run crash-prone, overworked servers.

So, does anyone have a word or two for me? Any special configuration tips?

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Read the Microsoft pages from this post

You can get more information from ESET after you contact them . Of course , someone else may answer here but you are more than welcome to ask ESET directly for the spefic stuff .

I don't believe you'll have problems with NOD32 on that configuration . The special configuration tips - IMON must be OFF on any server (this is in NOD32 by default so don't worry) . If running on Exchange , the exchange directories should be excluded in AMON because XMON will guard them and to prevent conflicts.

Good luck with your "research" :thumb:

5. CrookedBloke

Thanks, HiTech_boy. The Microsoft links are very helpful. However, the Eset ones don't seem to work. I'll search around the Eset site to find updated ones, perhaps.

Tomorrow may be a very interesting way.

6. CrookedBloke

Yes, I was able to find the PDF-formatted manuals at the eset.com site. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.