Nod32 on my external Hard drive

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Scope_IV, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope_IV

Scope_IV Registered Member

Hi there, im not sure if this is the right area to be posting this im really new to the forum, but ill say what i need to say. Can nod32 be placed onto a external USB harddrive with the ability to do scans of the hard drive and the drives on the computer. I work with a lot of other peoples computers and i am always placing my hard drive into their computers, i use NOD32 at home and its like amazing. I am always detecting viruses off my hard drive and im getting sick of risking plugging in into my computer. I did a google search, apparently it exists but i cant find anything on eset.com so im just wondering does it actually exist?
    In the event it doesn't exist then could somebody tell me a portable anti-virus thats not clamwin.
    Thanks
    Scope :)

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    AntiVir has a download that will make a bootable CD that you can boot from on the infected PC and scan it.

Need to frequently download the latest (with newer definitions) and burn a new CD frequently. As there is no live update mechanism on it.

Else, at the office we have a "bench" workstation with NOD on it, fully updated Windows, and other malware scanning tools....with clients infected PCs we plug their hard drive into external USB enclosers..plug them into this bench PC..and scan them.

3. Scope_IV

Scope_IV Registered Member

I dont think you understood what i was meaing. I need a portable anti-virus program to be installed onto my hard drive not a disc and not a PC workstation, as i take my harddrive everywhere and plug it into infected computers lol...I would like a program which can do a depth scan of just the hard drive off the infected computer, not a disc as most of these computers i work with do not have dvd drives. Thanks

4. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

SysRescue wizard has possibility to create bootable USB device, it can be any USB mass storage device, e.g. USB key, or USB HDD. But be carefull, as wizard first destroys all your partitions on it, creates new one and reformats it.

So first you need to back up data on your USB HDD somewhere, then run SysRescue Wizard and then you can copy back your data/other programs to HDD. Then you will be able to boot WinPE from this USB HDD (of course PC BIOS must support it).

By the way, it is possible with AIK (which SysRescue wizard uses) to create bootable FIXED HDD, but SysRescue wizard doesn't allow it.

Once you build bootable media with SysRescue, you don't need to rebuild it unless you have NIC drivers available in it for PCs where you want to boot it. When building rescue media, you can inject external drivers to WinPE. Otherwise WinPE has some NIC drivers by default. So if you have NIC driver injected in WinPE, then whenever you boot it, you are able to update virus definitions from internet. Only wire connections are possible, not WiFi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.