Nod32 locking up PC

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rowdyj81, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowdyj81

rowdyj81 Registered Member

It's been happening for a week or so, but I just noticed the pattern.....
    My PC locks up, randomly, and the little "pop-up" says Virus Signature Database Updated.
    Can anyone tell me WTF is going on? It's really getting to be a pain in the a$$.
    HELP!!:argh:

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It happens when the Virus db updates.. it locks the computer for a few sec. easyest way to solve it is 2 ways

1. Set updates to man. so you can do them when your not doing anything else

2. more drastic option find something more stable. like 2.7 =P 3.0 seems to have alot of issues. at least it did with me and the computers I own. I have removed it untell ESET gets back to how 2.7 was.

Just to meny Issues with 3.0 and games for me anyways best of luck to you hope it helps at least temp tell they can fix it.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello rowdyj81,

You might want to provide more information on your system.

Is this a trial version or purchased?

What is your operating system?

What security software are you using or have used in the past?

The more info the better.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It could be that you have an incorrectly formatted file in your ThreatSense cache, but it's weird that the problem has not manifested for about a month since the problematic update 3119. I'd suggest you do the following:
    - uninstall EAV
    - delete the content of the "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus" folder
    - download and install the latest version of EAV available on the ESET download page

5. rowdyj81

OK, here's more info;

Purchased Version - Recently updated
    Windows XP OS
    NOD32 is the only AV that's been loaded on system - Brand New system in November 07
    Weird that problem just started. No changes to system of set-up (knowingly, lol) made, and problem just started happening. I listen to an online radio station, and it will remain on when this happens, but everything else "locks up", i.e. mouse clicks no linger work, keyboard doesn't respond. I originally thought it was a driver problem of sorts, but as I stated, I happened to pay more attention to it yesterday, then studied the event logs and every "lock-up" coincides with the Virus Signature Update. Go figure.
    Now, this morning was the is first in over a week that the system wasn't locked-up when I came into the office.o_O

TIA for your help.

Oh yeah;
    ESET version 3.0.621.0
    Virus Sig Database 3192 (20080616)

6. rowdyj81

OK, I bragged too early. The dreaded little pop-up (Virus Sig Update) appeared and the system actually rebooted on its owno_O
    Did the Problem Report thing with Microsoft and it comes back as a Device Driver Problemo_O Go figure.

7. Marcos

Version 3.0.621 is quite outdated, I'll drop you a personal message.

8. Sassy101

Sassy101 Registered Member

I'd try that BUT - when we upgrade, the username and password sent to us via email isn't acceptable to the system, and we have to run for several days without updates (we keep getting the invalid username password message). After a few days of sending messages to support it magically fixes itself and the icon turns from red to green.o_O
    I'm not sure which is worse, living without current signature updates for several days by trying to go back to 2.7 to be able to watch videos or spending less time on YouTube and tossing our Netflix subscription - maybe someone is trying to tell us something.:rolleyes:

9. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Wow - I was having some lockup issues myself and when I saw that you called this "outdated", I was surprised.

I am also using 3.0.621.0 and thought that NOD32 was keeping itself updated. Apparently it is not! It USED to, I believe, didn't it?

Did Eset drop the auto program update?

Thanks!

Jim

10. Marcos

Perhaps "obsolete" is a more accurate term I should have used. The latest program version is 3.0.657 that can be downloaded from the ESET's download page and a newer version will be announced shortly. An automatic program component update (PCU) will take place as soon as it is ready for mass distribution to all users around the world.

11. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Thanks Marcos.

I just did install build 657 and all seems OK for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.