NOD32 interferes with Skype update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xerces8, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xerces8

xerces8 Registered Member

I have NOD32 Antivirus 4 on WinXP and noticed that since a while the update in Skype does not work, unless I temporarily turn off protection in NOD32.

I have version 4.0.417.0

What happens is that I run Skype and select its menu Help / Check for Updates.
    It reports that a new version is available and offers to download it. After I click to dowload, it downloads the update , then there is large CPU activity for a few seconds, then Skype reports that the upgrade failed. It offers a manual download or a retry. Clicking retry just repeats the same scenario. But if I disable protection in NOD32, then click Retry, the update proceeds successfully.

I noticed this for a while now, each time I tried to update Skype, last time just a few minutes ago when I tried to update Skype 5.8.0.156 to 5.8.0.158.

Regards,
    David

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's probably because of a long scan of the 23-MB installer when Skype does not wait long enough and times out. We'll exclude the installer from scanning. In the mean time, you can add *.skype.com* to the list of addresses excluded from content filtering.
    I'd also recommend upgrading to the latest version 4.2.71 or 5.0.95 (Home Edition).

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

It may be the • EasyBitsMedia • bundleware that is causing the issues.

Look for this in subdirectories of the installation folder. It would also depend on where you obtained the software. Some sites are paid per-installation to allow the third party gaming software.

This is not a new tactic for third party sites in making extra revenue. However undesirable this may be.

Skype may have a current uninstaller for this third-party software available to you. There may be an opt-out tool within Skype.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.