Nod32 Install with VLANs - problems

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by jg99, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jg99

jg99 Registered Member

Hi

I am evaluating Nod32 for our network. I have a number of issues.
    We run WinXPsp2 workstations on a NetWare 6.5.x network with some Win2003 servers for background tasks.

1. I have yet to locate a manual for Nod32. Is there one and where is the download?

2. We have recently implemented VLANs as a security measure.

One of the issues now is that WORKGROUP under Windows XP is limited to one VLAN. Therefore, so far, I have not been able to remote install or manage the workstations because they are not 'seen' across the routing barrier.

I have heard that Nod32 will use IP for remote install and management??
    Can anyone provide information on how to install this please? or reference links? I will have to use IP for communications rather than WORKGROUP.

I am more concerned with the management as install can be done via imaging.

I do not see anything in the remote management console. Not even the server or the test workstations - which are all in one VLAN while I am working out the install configuration.

3. Updates
    I have a Win2003 server doing the downloads and the mirror is on a NetWare public area available to all logged in staff and students.

Currently only a few workstations installed while I figure out how it all works!

I think the mirror is correctly set up. However, I changed [updated] the eval license for a further period and now I am getting different results for the test workstations. Previously updates seemed to work. It seems to be to do with the username/password/license key in the workstation. Currently I have the license key in the update setup usernamer/password. Now I am being asked if I want to log in with a different username for the update. I have said No to date and therefore seem NOT to get the update.

Our workstations are mostly turned OFF during non school hours so the update etc has to work basically between 9:00-15:00. And the maintenance scan at lunchtime say 12:40 weekly...?

4. Passwords
    - remote management console. I have put a password in but it does not request it for access - perhaps because I have not disconnected/logged off between attempts? I expected to get a login password request for ach time I start the consoleo_O
    - I am still working on how to password protect the workstaion configuration. I have some more stuff to read but that does not appear straight forward yet either...

Maybe because I am new at it and still have to get my head around the way the product works.

I am sure there will be more questions as I work through the configuration.
    I have read BlackSpear's doco but have hit some barriers.
    Would love to have an official manual ...

Assistance appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    John

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi John, welcome to Wilders.

Manuals can be located HERE

Settings are different than Profiles. Under the Profile, Settings - Password protection

"Lock settings" under General - Settings - General

Cheers :D

3. jg99

jg99 Registered Member

Hi

Duh! Suppose I should explain about the manuals. Actually downloaded in
    early Dec. Then went on leave and flat out with other stuff for 7 weeks...
    If you want to believe..

But I did not find the manuals wonderful. They do what Novell does - work at
    a relatively high level and miss the specific nuts and bolts.

Anyway I have made some progress.
    1. I found the Nod32 2.7 Control Centre has under Nod 32 sytem tools a
    Nod32 System Setup!
    Once I filled that in [by guesswork] I could 'see' the workstation in the
    Remote Administrator Console!!
    And I got an email from using the eicar.com test file too.

If someone can tell me the email parameter list I would appreciate it.
    It looks like it would pull environment strings??
    I get the PC name [which is not much use as it could be anywhere].
    I want the IP address and the logged in username - so I know where and who to blame!
    Looks as if I had the right syntax this could be added to the email
    messageo_O Does anyone know??

2. The update message wanting to log in is a real pain at the moment. Anyone know what I have stuffed up in configuration?? Should be something straight forward I think...

thanks.

4. jg99

jg99 Registered Member

Hi

I may have the update issue fixed where I am asked if I want to log in as a separate user.

After I configured the workstation with the Nod32 System Setup and put the license in there [not sure if it needed - what happens when renewal occurs annually?].

I deleted the username/password which had license info.
    I think this was needed for internet update
    BUT NOT local LAN [mirror] update - which has directory access by the user login...

Not 100% sure yet but hoping....

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I have a few clients running VLANs (including a school)...the NOD32 RAS/RAC/Mirror is a member of all VLANs...since I want all workstations to be managed by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.