NOD32 in the real world

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rerun2, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    ...and we have not heard back from radicalb21 on his findings yet.

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

:D :D

Maybe he is applying to be a spy and missed all five questions...it is not the 28th of October yet..but as you know..if you snooze you loose... :cool:

3. radicalb21

radicalb21 Registered Member

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you as I worked all day today and part of this evening. Detection was added as of today 1.535 version definitions. The pictures I posted today were sent to eset via samples email address and to two eset techs. As soon as I have more i will post it in this forum specifically this thread.

4. Whyme2

Whyme2 Guest

It doesn't matter if they are rated low or not, they are ITW and Nod missed them.

5. sig

sig Registered Member

ITW apparently to you means simply existng and available, even if one has to go to a VX site to find them or get them from a collector, like a 13 yr old MS DOS virus, because one won't encounter them any other way. But that's not the industry's definition.

ITW to AV researchers and professionals (including Eugene Kaspersky no doubt since he's a Wild List reporter) means that a virus is actually spreading ITW.

From The Wild List site:

"As far as where is 'out there', we like the definition given by Paul Ducklin of Sophos, PLC in his paper 'Counting Viruses':

For a virus to be considered In the Wild, it must be spreading as a result of normal day-to-day operations on and between the computers of unsuspecting users.
    This means viruses which merely exist but are not spreading are not considered 'In the Wild'."

Kaspersky may have these critters in his database and KAV detects 8tunes, but would Kaspersky himself argue that it's ITW?

6. crazykidjoe

crazykidjoe Registered Member

I wonder what Eset thinks of this thread? I'm just curious why they haven't defended their product? c

7. Maybe they're hoping the "NOD Bashers" will go away quietly...LOL...
    :D
    They oughta know better... :eek:

Seriously, though, how can you defend a product that missed samples that 4 Other AV's detected (not counting TrojanHunter!)...
    :rolleyes:

8. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Quit easy. Lemme take a look on the samples. Some of them may be broken, unable to replicate and thus no viruses. cos viruses do replicate. It is a conditio sine qua non for any virus.
    for testing images of boot viruses they should have some defined extension as images etc ...
    and more over, how can you get infected by files stored in archive as long as the resident will intercept them ?

9. Q Section

This is unverified by un-biased third-party testing.

10. Q Section

Hello jjj
    This information is being verified. To date we have had no one respond in the affirmative as to an infection whilst using NOD32 v2 with the latest updates and having done a thorough system scan.

Best wishes

11. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I know from experience, using NOD for several years, that it has never missed a virus on my machines.

Plus IMON kept one of my grown kids from getting Swen when it first came out. Had he been using one of the other AVs like KAV he would have been infected.

I haven't seen were anyone was infected with one of those samples you have??

So from a real world perspective I feel very comfortable using NOD.

12. SaracenBlade

SaracenBlade Guest

It was a Joe Job. Join the dots on DSLR and you can see the whole plan come together. The Joe Jobbers made sure the other anti-virus companys had sigs for all the viruses and trojans but they hid them from ESET until after they made their move on NOD32.

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there are a lot of interesting things in this thread.

Some people will read this thread and say, "Ah ha, there's the proof that there are virii that NOD misses!" True enough. It didn't detect these samples before, but now it does after adding signatures for them.

Other people will read it and say "It's of little concern because they are Low risk virii that aren't on the ITW list, so you have to get them either at virus sites or by 'searching for cracks on kazaa'."

Those people convinced of either one of the views above are not likely to be swayed to the other. Those people that are in the middle can see both sides and agree they both have points, then they will make up their own minds about whether they'll use NOD32 for their AV protection.

Thank you everyone for your participation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.