NOD32 hangs during On-Demand scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by splnkr, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splnkr

splnkr Registered Member

Hello. Sorry if this is elementary. I've searched around, and though I am overwhelmed at this point, haven't found a solution.

Recently got rid of AVG and downloaded the most recent version of NOD32. I cannot get it to complete any sort of system scan under any circumstance. Currently, I have three On Demand windows open; all have failed with the MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase - error opening (Access denied) [4] error, but at different directories. The scan just sits there. All applications still show "running". Tabs at the top don't work. I can pause/resume; stop has no effect. Quit gives me a choice to end, but has no immediate effect. Eventually, they go away after quitting.

If I scan local disks, same thing. Just hangs. Curiously, they all seem to fail while scanning my Quicken folder, but at different subfolders. Quicken is not open, however.

In depth works better, but still fails at the same error message as above, in my Quicken directory.

Everything else seems to be working, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled via safe mode, and also removed AVG wares this way, too.

When I first installed the program (before uninstalling and reinstalling) it seemed to be scanning, but after 16 hours (!) it was not even close to done. So far, I am not impressed after reading so many great things about this program.

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm gonna go back and do some more searching here in the mean time!

Trial version
    Days left: 30

NOD32 antivirus system information
    Virus signature database version: 2426 (20070727)
    Dated: Friday, July 27, 2007
    Virus signature database build: 10438

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.064 (20070717)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1163
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.055 (20070712)
    Archive support module build version: 1192

Information about installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/x64 - Base
    Version: 2.70.39
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/x64 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/x64 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Microsoft Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 2048 MB
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (2099 MHz)

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi splnkr,

I would assume that you have plenty of free hard disk space?
    What version of Quicken are you using?

I would suggest eliminating hard disk data corruption issues as a possibility - regardless of if you have observed symptopms (slow file access etc.) other than when scanning with NOD32 as follows:
    (excuse me if these instruction are over-simplified for your experience level as this should allow any user to repeat them for themselves if necessary)
    1. Back-up anything remotely important as a precaution (even do a full back-up) or ensure your existing back-ups are current.
    2. At the Windows desktop, click 'Start' --> 'Run', enter 'cmd' into the dialogue box and then hit <ENTER>
    3. In the new comand window that opens, enter 'chkdsk /f /r' and hit <ENTER> again
    4. Respond to the question about next reboot with 'y' <ENTER>
    5. Reboot your PC and wait for the CHKDSK scan to start and then complete
    6. When done, your PC should automatically restart and Windows should load.
    7. Try scan with NOD32 again and let us know if there is any change.

Please note that if the wheel is turning (even quite slowly) NOD32 is still scanning.
    Screenshot - 28_07_2007 , 10_54_09 PM.png

Cheers :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  3. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Often parts of a previous AV are still active.
    These are easy to find if you run lookinmypc (download from www.lookinmypc.com) and browse through the result pages.

Or check the c:\program files directory
    or The registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,software

Remove the other AV's there.
    If needed this can be done from within SAFE MODE.

Good luck

4. splnkr

splnkr Registered Member

Thanks for the attention here. OK:

I have removed all vestiges of AVG I can find.

I an unable to run chkdsk. I get the error "type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive" whatever that means.

Plenty of room on the drive.

I am using a very old (2001) version of Quicken. However, I note something odd. As an experiment, I uninstalled NOD32 and installed Kaspersky. This program "hangs" on the same file area, specifically C:\System Volume Information\ and MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase. If I recall, this is the last file that was displayed in NOD32 before it hangs. And when it hangs, the little bar is not moving.

I'm still working on this, but can't help but think something is odd in the MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase file.

5. NOD32 user

You're welcome, that's why the forum is here.
    Seriously I would get chkdsk completed and see before I tried this (see below)

I seem to recall at some point AVG recommended to cleanup a failed un-install that a fresh download of AVG be used as a part of the process for cleaing out an old one, or for your situation where you have already uninstalled AVG (and based on my recollection of their process) download a fresh copy of AVG, un-install NOD32 (only so they cannot possibly fight and cause issues trying to complete the process), begin install of AVG, if AVG asks you to (or just goes ahead on its own) clean up old AVG files then after that point completes you are done so quit the AVG installer there, otherwise complete the AVG installer normally including reboot before re-launching the AVG installer and is should this time ask you about un-installing currently installed version etc.
    You might try searching their forums or help for more info about 'help I cannot un-install' or similar.

Make sure you reboot before re-isntalling NOD32
    Progress maybe...

When you get that error message you are up to step 4 so if you respond to the question with 'y' <ENTER> you will then be up to step 5 (that I will now edit to say CHKDSK scan for clarity).
    Keep at it, you will get there :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Just a few suggestions, stop installing AV's for a bit and do some fundamental stuff first.

0) Go off line first.

1) Backup your quicken user data files to a usb stick or floppy (assuming you use it) I have quicken 6 and I suspect the old quicken is the problem. Uninstall the old quicken

2) Fully uninstall ALL AV's, ASW's and any other applications games etc you don't use or have the install disks for but keep the setup installs for Nod32 and other security sw.

3) Run CCleaner or other cleanup tools plus any registry clean up tool

4) Run a diskcleanup

5) Now try to run Chkdsk again, if it fails you most likely have a bad sector that can't be repaired

6) Run a Defrag

7) Reinstall Nod32

8. Run Nod32 scan and Reboot PC.

9) If successful go back on line update Nod32, windows etc

10) Enjoy life

7. splnkr

splnkr Registered Member

OK. All seems to be well. After my experiment with Kaspersky, and subsequent deletion (it would not work at all), I reinstalled NOD32. I tried the chkdsk; no issues. So, I ran the scanner. Once again, it stalled on the Quicken/ttforms/ttax.1PA file. So I deleted it. It froze again on RECYCLER (duh), so I emptied, ran Window Washer and CCleaner. Scanned again, and, Viola! Dunno what it is about that 4kb file, but that was the problem. I have not had any additional issues with the System Volume or anything else. So, I thank you all. I will continue with my evaluation.

THANKS!

CG

8. NOD32 user

Glad to hear you got it sorted - thanks for posting back to let us know how you got on.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Glad things sorted out for you! Thanks for reporting back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.