NOD32 does not appear to be scanning my OL 2000 (IMO) PST file

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jaygo, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaygo

jaygo Registered Member

Hi,

I don't think NOD32 is scanning my Outlook 2000 (IMO) PST file (over ½ GB in size) although I have configured, for context menu scans and in depth analysis scans, the scanning of e-mail files for all ThreatSense scanning options.

My system info is as shown below.

After highlighting my PST file in my file manager, right clicking, choosing NOD32 Anti Virus System, the results window indicates:

Date: [today's date]
    Scanned Disks, folders and files: e:\mailbox.pst [my PST file]
    Number of scanned files: 1
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 11:20:44 Total scanning time: 0 sec (00:00:00)

I don't believe NOD32 could scan my ½ GB PST file in 0 seconds (or even 15 seconds). It seems like the scan took zero seconds as indicated in the results window. I note that my PST file is named as a scanned file (and I have not excluded files with a PST extension fro being scanned); I just can't believe such a big file was scanned by NOD32 that fast.

I note that in an in depth analysis scan of all drives on my PC, when it comes to scanning the E:drive (as reflected by the file paths appearing on the bottom of the window flying by, as the in depth analysis scan proceeds), NOD32 goes by my E-drive so fast I believe it could not possibly have scanned this ½ GB PST file during the in depth analysis scan. This is consistent with my gut feeling as to the exclusion of the scanning of my Outlook PST file during the aforementioned context menu scan.

Any thoughts on this situation are welcome. jaygo

NOD32 antivirus system information
    Virus signature database version: 1.1467 (20060402)
    Dated: Sunday, April 02, 2006
    Virus signature database build: 6998

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.028 (20060324)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1107
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.040 (20051222)
    Archive support module build version: 1142

Information about installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/x64 - Base
    Version: 2.51.20
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/x64 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/x64 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 1023 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz (2259 MHz)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

PST files cannot be scanned from within the context menu. Make sure that you have MAPI enabled in the on-demand scanner setup, then select Personal folders in the target selection setup and then run a scan.

3. jaygo

jaygo Registered Member

Marcos,

Thanks! In setup I checked only the drive containing my primary ½ GB PST file and also checked "Personal Folders" per your advice. The scan took 230 seconds and the number of files scanned altogether, in the NOD32 scanner logs, was 3268. I definitely recognized the folders and subfolders's names as they were scanned by NOD32. The fact that my PST file is located in a custom location, and on a different drive from where Outlook's install routine would otherwise place it, does not appear to affect NOD32's ability to scan it as long as I've checked the drive containing its custom location (and checked, of course, as you indicated, the Personal Folders). Now I'm "cooking with gas"<g>

A couple of follow-up questions:

If there was more than one PST file on the drive, and my configuration was just as described above, would NOD32 scan each PST file?

If I scanned, for example, 3 drives, and each drive had a PST file, and in NOD32's setup, each drive was checked and also "Personal Folders" checked, would each PST file be scanned in the same scan? jaygo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.