NOD32 control center crashing Also cannot complete a full scan

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Mele20, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Hi Mele20.

"Of course those viruses aren't in my phoenix folder! They are zipped and renamed and harmless. It is hilarious! I can't stop laughing."

I, for one, wish you would temper your posts a bit until you have researched these problems more.

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I have a Dell 1.7 ghz laptop with an Nvidia card and have no problems what so ever from a stability standpoint, I seriously doubt Dell alters XP code in anyway, but if they do, I doubt they do anything that would affect NOD as Dell uses it on their own systems as well as providing it pre installed on their servers if the customer wishes, so I am sure Del is quite familiar with NOD and the OS settings it needs.

3. fredra

fredra Registered Member

My observations and last input to this thread.
    It would appear (IMHO) that a lot of ppl are not having this particular problem with NOD, using an XP OS.
    -It works fine with Stans XP OS
    -It works fine with my W2K
    -It works fine with Mele20's 98 OS

It seems logical that the problem lies within Mele20's XP (I am not prepared to say what...I don't have the box in front of me nor can I remotely access it)

I have been taken to task with my substantiated views on the Dell OEM (and the ones having a different opinion are entitled to it) however, I will stand by my original observation and findings. If you know it all, all the power to you.

Mele20 - a suggestion if I may. Delve deeper into your XP box .....conflicting programs...internal memory addresses being used and/or overwritten...improper allocation of sharing IRQ (all others don't go telling me that XP does the sharing perfectly, sometimes it doesn't work that way).

Those are but a few suggestions only and NOT a change of topic.

Now you can keep the flames at 150C ( I know they will come...so don't surprise me) so they will not burn the bandwidth.

Have a great day.

"Stripped of ethical rationalizations and philosophical pretensions, a crime is anything that a group in power chooses to prohibit."

Cheers :)

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good post Fredra and good suggestions.

Very nice, I will try to remember that one, mine is cut to a few less words, see below...

Cheers :D :D :D :D

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Tech support says there is a bug that in certain circmustances causes the scanner to close when scanning cab archives. So, that may or may not be part of my problem. It is supposed to be fixed soon.

Last night, I was finding dslr and this site to be very sluggish. When I looked at the task manager, something was causing 80-90 % CPU usage constantly. NOD32 kernal was using more memory than usual. I shut down applications one by one and the CPU usage remained very high. Finally when I couldn't stop NOD32 as a process, I uninstalled it and my CPU usage went back to normal immediately. I also had no more sluggishness here or at dslr. I don't know what to make of this other than that the beta and my XP box don't get along for what reasons I don't know.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Do you still have the logs, was AMON stuck on scanning a file, or is there anything else in the logs that would point to something?

I have never and I mean NEVER, seen so many problems on one XP machine, in fact since I have been selling Nod32 for 2 years now, placed on over 500+ PC's, as I have said elsewhere on the main forum, the only problem I have seen is on 3 PC's, 2 had the inability to update (corrupt installation), and 1 was unable to install (due to temp folder filled up). Both we found solutions to.

There has to be something pertaining to your particular XP box. Are the programs exactly the same as what you use on your 98 box?

Have you tried emailing Dell support for any known issues relating to Nod32 and that particular box you have (system configuration)?

Cheers :D

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I never said I knew it all, I said Dell uses NOD and sells it pre-installed on their Poweredge servers if the customer wishes, so they should know what tweaks would affect NOD adversely, if they do any at all. I am using NOD on a Dell and I don't have any problems. I can't believe Mele20 is the only other person using NOD on a Dell. And BTW I like the Quote too!

8. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I am using the NOD beta on a home built WinXP Pro machine without a problem.

Also noted using the beta on WinXP Pro: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=232431#post232431

As I posted before, my son is running the NOD beta on a Dell Dimension 4600, 2.80GHz, WinXP Home, ATI RADEON card, without any problems. I also run the "In Depth Analysis" scan about every two days on his machine. The scan runs as normal without any problems.

So it doesn't seem to me to be related to WinXP or Dell.

Is it possible the Mele has tried other AVs on this machine and didn't clear everything out from those AVs prior to his installing the NOD beta and that is causing the problems?

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No, I didn't think to keep the logs. I can reinstall it again and see if it happens again and export the logs before I uninstall it (assuming it happens again).

I am using mostly the same applications on both boxes. I have the scanner and printer hooked up to the XP box and not the 98SE box but I don't think that could have anything to do with this problem. I have newer versions of applications on the old box on the new box. I think the main difference is the video card. ATI on the 98SE box and nVidia on the XP one. I wasn't having trouble with the release version until recently so seems to me if an application is at fault it would need to be a recent one that I use a lot. Maybe it is Firefox 0.9? I don't know why that would conflict with NOD32 but that is about the only recent change from 0.8 ver to 0.9.

I can call Dell support. Their support is not the great support that was available when my 98SE box was new. So, I don't know if they can shed any light on this or not.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele20,

I run NOD32 on a Dell 4500 with XP Pro and Firefox. Running Firefox 0.9.2 right now, will update to 0.9.3 tonight.

I haven't seen the magnitude of problems you're experiencing. I have seen the scanner seemingly hang on archives - but no crashes or high CPU usage. Very occasionally Firefox has crashed - not a NOD32 issue since the PC is dual boot with a second XP Pro copy that I use to test things which is not running NOD32 and I've experienced the crash there - and these crashes are graceful browser shutdowns.

No delays or lockups yet. Did have an NVidia card for a while, now has ATI Radeon 9600 XT. No difference with either. If you have an NVidia card, I vaguely recall some issues with NView if running the full NVidia desktop thing - don't recall what they were, but I'd probably seen if a video drive update did anything if your driver wasn't the most recent (I know - it could get worse).

I run scans nightly, so if it was an intermittent problem, I would imagine that I might see it. Basically same behavior with the beta and commercial release.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.