Nod32 causes Server 2003 to restart when backup job runs.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by burkes, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burkes

burkes Registered Member

After installing NOD32 on our Server 2003 file server the system has been crashed and restarted every night when the servers and local drives backup runs. I have read some older articles in this forum which described the problem but there was no clear resolution. Can anyone help. I understand that AMON is the culprit and I am tempted to disable it but whats the point.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Very odd.....never seen this in many servers....

What are you using for backup software?
    What is being backed up?
    Any live database engines running? Other apps/software installed on the server?

3. burkes

burkes Registered Member

We are using Symantec Backup Exec 10D on our file server that is using SQL 2000 to catalogue the tapes, jobs etc. I disabled AMON over the weekend and the Server and local drives backup ran successfully. I really cannot find out much more as no events are written to the logs. The server just restarts.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi ! AFAIK generally any NOD32 application is incompatiable with any Symantec application (not just NOD32 AV and Symantec/Norton AV) . This may be or not be the reason , though.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does the server restart if you run an on-demand scan of the local disks?

6. YeOldeStonecat

I have quite a few clients that run NOD32 on their servers...and unfortunately are also using Backup Exec. However much I dislike Backup Exec since Symantec picked them up...I do not have issues at all between it and NOD32.

Burkes....have you service packed MSDE? Better yet..why still using MSDE? You should have SQL Express..which replaced it.

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I suppose that you have the usual folder exclusions set?

8. burkes

burkes Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. In response to the questions. We are not running the MSDE. We are using SQL 200 STD. It is patched to current SP4. I do not have any exclusion sets unless they are there by default. Should I be excluding the SQL data set and or program files? Maybe even BackupExec itself? At the moment I have AMON disabled and the backup runs successfully. By the by the server has 4 gb of RAM.

9. YeOldeStonecat

Have you tried to eliminate NOD32 as the culprit? You said it reboots every night....do you have the opportunity of uninstalling NOD32..and seeing if it bounces itself again? Perhaps a faulty tape drive/controller or something.

10. burkes

burkes Registered Member

Stonecat, the answer is yes we have uninstalled it. We originally installed the demo version and we uninstalled it after the second day because the server was restarting and our backup was failing. At first we thought it was a resource problem so we added some more memory to the server but the problem returned. As I have said as long as AMON is disabled the backup runs without restarting the server.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you try it again with AMON enabled? Does an on-demand scan complete successfully or it quits during a scan?

12. YeOldeStonecat

Does backup exec have all it's updates? Have you forced in Backup Execs drivers for the tape drives using their utility? (tapeinst.exe I think it's called....in it's program directory)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.