Nod32 & Avg7 ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by RobNyc, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobNyc

RobNyc Registered Member

I noticed AVG 7 uses less resources total of 8000k and NOD32 total of 10000k . Doesn't Nod32 suppose to be using less than AVG?

2. RobNyc

RobNyc Registered Member

Now I see

nod32krn.exe 4,812k
    nod32kui.exe 2,204k
    total of 7,016k

so it changes?

3. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I'd be more concerned about the detection ability than the resources being used. Both NOD and AVG are fairly low on resources, but I purchased a licence for NOD after a (totally unscientific) test on my computer using ~30 file viruses showed me that AVG's detection rate was very poor in comparison. That was when I got my money back on my AVG licence and purchased NOD.

It also worried me that there was a noticeable delay before I got an alert from AVG on file access. I wondered what could have been happening in the meantime?

Some people have posated here moaning about NOD's quirky configuration, but I have to say that personally I find it fairly intuitive. AVG was a nightmare to configure and maintain on my multi-user box in comparison.

4. RobNyc

RobNyc Registered Member

Thanks

5. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Yes, it does. Memory is de/allocated on as needed basis. Anyway, Panda Platinum uses in some moments about 30 megs :)

6. faffy

faffy Registered Member

Respectfully, I completely disagree with you. AVG has just received the VB 100 award, so it must be good detecting viruses. I have just installed AVG 7 on my system and the configuration and the options that AVG offers is very logical and intuitive. I abandoned NOD 32 when I could not configure IMON to check my emails on port 9999 (K9) and my wife's email on port 1110 (Spampal).

Faffy

7. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Each to there own Faffy. If you're happy with AVG and confident in its abilities, that's fine. Not all customers have similar circumstances, and what works well for one might not work well for another. That goes for NOD, AVG, and probably just about every piece of software ever written.

I tried running AVG on an XP-Pro box with 7 users. I wanted the users with admin privilidges to have full access to all features, and the other users to be restricted. I found that if I wanted to alter a single setting to affect a group of users, I had to do it individually within each account, and every now and then the settings would change of their own accord requiring reconfiguration. The concept of Quarantine being a separate action to Delete or Rename within NOD is simple in comparison to configuring AVG to run an unattended scan without throwing up requesters requiring user intervention during the scan, but still opening a result box on completion that doesn't close until the user physically closes it. And despite a lengthy correspondence with Grisoft, I could never get it to run a complete pre-scheduled scan as a system resource, with full access rights. NOD does this without a problem, as well as scanning individual user directories on each user login, from a simple shell script in each user directory.

As for virus detection, I did say that my test was totally unscientific, but I downloaded a number of file viruses from a virus library, and ran several virus checkers over them. AVG missed several that were detected by NOD, KAV and McAfee. It also gave me a full alert on an email attachment which it said was an unidentified virus. NOD correctly identified it as a damaged copy of Bugbear. I'm afraid I lost all confidence in AVG through my own experience, and no longer having any confidence in it, I was reluctant to continue paying for it. I also had issues with McAfee, and I found KAV too complex for my needs. But as I said, much of this comes down to personal preferences.

8. RobNyc

RobNyc Registered Member

Well... I like AVG and NOD . Today I been having problems with Nod32 deleting trojans from my computer.

9. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

AVG7 only 8MB? Where where where? Try to count all avg's files... there is a control center, scanner, updater, mailscaner... Usualy about 5 processes, each about 5 mb... :)

10. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

Troubles with K9? Simple in NODcc -> IMON -> Configuration -> Ports add port 9999 and nod will scan and clean emails. It works perfectly for me :)
    We have there AVG and NOD and NOD is much much better: faster, better and faster automatic updates...

11. angelo_lopes

angelo_lopes Registered Member

What's the correct sintaxe for adding ports, DiGi?
    110, 9999, 1110 or 110 9999 1110 or 110; 9999....

TIA

12. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

IMON can't scan mails downloading to K9 (don't ask me why, I wrote 3 mails to K9 author with no reply) but can scan mails coming from K9 to mail client...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.