NOD32 AV v4.0 Red Icon from MSUpdate Error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rnfolsom, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

QUESTION: Is there any setting in ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.424.0 to persuade it to ignore either all Windows Updates and Microsoft Updates and Microsoft Office Updates, or at least repeated bogus updates?

I hope so, because otherwise NOD32 v4 will forever, but wrongly, think that my computer's protection status is impaired.

BACKGROUND: Rationale for question.
    I am a very new user of NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.424.0 (it replaced my v2.7 only three days ago). But this morning, its system tray icon was (and remains) red instead of green, and there was a message that my Protection Status was impaired, and that I should open the main window for more information.

The main window had an orange rather than green Protection Status icon, with the explanation that "Maximum protection may not be ensured. Operating system is not up to date. This computer does not have all available operating system updates installed. Please install the missing updates by means of the Windows Update Service. For more information, click here."

That click took me to Eset's System Updates, which listed 7 available updates; see the P.S. to this message. All were irrelevant to me, except possibly Security Update for MS Office 2003 (kb953404). I ran Windows Update, and it did come up with security update kb953404. (Until recently, Windows Update did NOT come up with kb953404, but MS Office Update did.)

But I did not install update kb953404 (and did not install it on the many previous opportunities I had to do so) because it also is totally irrelevant to my computer. It is one of many updates listed in "Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-055 – Critical Vulnerability in Microsoft Office Could Allow Remote Code Execution (955047). Published: September 9, 2008 | Updated: September 10, 2008. Version: 1.1"
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS08-055.mspx

Within MS08-055 kb955047's Affected Software List, kb953404 is specifically for "Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 [and 3] (KB953404)." Clicking on that link gets you the download details, at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-d3c1-41f7-ba30-6a67139feaa3&displaylang=en
    which includes as a system requirement,
    "To install the update, you must have the following: Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)."

But no MS Office version has ever been installed on my computer. I use WordPerfect 12. I do have installed, however, MS Office 2003 viewers for Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, and apparently MS Windows Update and Microsoft Update and MS Office Update can't tell the difference between installations of Office 2003 and Office 2003 viewers.

Within MS08-055 kb955047's Non-Affected Software List, the following are included:
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003
    Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003
    Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 Service Pack 3
    Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
    Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003 Service Pack 3
    Microsoft Office Excel Viewer

I have sent MS many messages about their update confusion between Office 2003 and Office 2003 viewers, without result. The case I describe here is not unique; I have had to reject many proposed Office updates many times because, after some research, they turned out to be inapplicable to computers without Office installed. (Sometimes, however, Office 2003 updates do apply not only to Office 2003 but also to one or more of the Office 2003 viewers.)

I really don't want to be punished for replacing NOD32 v2.7 with NOD32 AV 4.0.424 by forever having a red system tray icon and a main window false claim that my operating system updates are out of date.

So I hope that a future NOD32 AV4.0 build enables the user to put a bogus update kb number in a "Do not include this update again in Protection Status" list, so that the system tray icon is green unless there is a true Protection Status problem, and that a red system tray icon indicates either a new Microsoft update error, or a real Protection Status problem.

Roger Folsom

P.S. Eset's System Updates included the following: MS .Net Framework 2.0 and 1.1, MS Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package, MS Silverlight, Windows Media Player 9, NVidia Corporation Video Dell C840 --- and Security Update for MS Office2003 (kb953404).

My Windows 2000 Sp4 Rollup1 v2 Dell Latitude C840 does have an NVidia graphics card, and it took me and Dell premier tech support more than nine months to figure out how to pile two NVidia graphics drivers on top of each other to get my Dell c840 to work with an external Dell 2001FP monitor. There's no way that I would even think about changing that setup.

I have absolutely no intention of installing any .Net version or Silverlight unless I absolutely have to do so. I do not have a Smart Cryptographic Card. I don't need Media Player 9 because instead I upgraded the codecs to version 9 codecs so that I could retain the simple Media Player 6.4 interface that came with Win2k.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Ronjor:

That link to KB SOLN2196 definitely worked.

And now I know what "System Updates" are!

Thank you, very much.

Roger Folsom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.