NOD32 AV Beta breaks Outlook 2003-UI BUG

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by JeremyWW, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

OK, I felt a new thread was necessary for this, but I'll point to this one just in case it's tied in, in some way: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183842

To replicate this you need Outlook integration activated - bottom of the advanced set-up tree. I am running Outlook 2003:

I have the Find toolbar permanently displayed in Outlook, although that in itself makes no difference. Click on the 'Find' button on the standard Outlook toolbar to display the 'Find' toolbar. With the NOD32 / Outlook integration active, regardless of whether the NOD32 toolbar is displayed in Outlook or not, the 'Find' field will not retain focus. If I click in the 'Find' field, focus immediately changes to the first e-mail in the displayed folder, whether I try typing in the 'Find' field or not. 'Find' simply will not work. I couldn't quite believe that it was down to NOD32, but as that's the only thing that's changed on my system recently, I had to try it - disabled NOD32 / Outlook integration and, bingo, the Find field works as it should.

Really, really annoying!! Marcos...??

Edit: For clarification, I'm XP Pro/SP2, fully updated.
    Another important Edit: Try it with any other Outlook toolbar, such as 'Web' or 'Advanced'. Same issue - wherever there is a field, be it an input field of some sort, or a drop down list with choices, the Outlook toolbar will not retain focus.
    Yet another Edit: 'Help' from the Outlook toolbar does not work - the main NOD32 window appears with the error message: 'Failed to launch help'

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. JeremyWW

Can anyone reproduce this? I'd really like to be 110% sure it's not an issue on my machine, although I can't imagine that it is...

3. JeremyWW

The workaround is to disable integration (as above). 'E-Mail protection' still functions (tested with eicar zip files) as specified further up in the setup tree under 'Microsoft Outlook' (sub menu). So it's purely the toolbar causing this. I would junk the toolbar completely Eset - why have it? Setup is easily accessible from the 'tray' icon. If you're going to 'integrate' it from a UI point of view, add an extra tab to the Outlook 'Options' dialogue - keep it simple!

4. Paul_E

Paul_E Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem, "find" will not work.

Paul

5. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi JeremyWW
    NOW I got it (bit daft on my part) :)
    IMHO it has nothing to do with your machine.
    I followed your steps to reproduce the problem and you are correct. The "find" field does not work. Whenever you try to type in something, it flashes, but nothing appears in the field.
    Platform
    xp sp2/Outlook2003/ESS Beta2

They can reproduce it (as I did) so they should be able to fix it.

Cheers :)

6. JeremyWW

As far as I can see e-mail protection still works though (with Integration disabled). Can you confirm likewise...

Cheers

7. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Using your method, (eicar) it still works without integration.
    However, I would like to run some more tests to verify this operation.
    I have requested a friend to send me some infected emails. As soon as I run the tests on those I will report back here.
    Thanks for your input Jeremy (I never doubted your methods my friend, sorry if it was misinterpreted :oops: )

Cheers :)

8. JeremyWW

Marcos, can we get a response on this please. It's a bit of a show stopper when the NOD32 Outlook integration effectively 'disables' normal Outlook toolbar functionality. I'd like to know that Eset can at least reproduce this problem and ask if there will be an interim fix. I, for one, will leave this Beta until this problem is fixed.

9. JeremyWW

I found if you click on a folder in the left hand Outlook pane - any folder, and then go directly back to the Find bar (or any other), it works. This is an acceptable work around, but I can't work out why the NOD32 toolbar is causing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.