NOD32 + Anti-trojan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by slider, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slider

slider Registered Member

I don't know much about anti-trojan software. Can you install and run a typical anti-trojan program alongside NOD32? Or would the live scanners interfere with each other? What anti-trojan programs are recommended for use alongside NOD32?

TIA.

2. PikeDude

PikeDude Registered Member

Hi Slider,

Normally, antivirus scanner and anti-trojans programs get along very well and don't interfere with each. At the moment I'm running Nod32 v2.0 with BoClean on Windows XP and have absolutely no problems and are not slowing down my computer at all.
    I know that some people here are having some issues with those two together but I haven't experienced any incompatabilities. I guess the best way is to try it. Another anti-trojan that gets along well with Nod32 is TDS-3, but I do believe that TDS-3 is for more an advanced user but you can give it a try and see how you like it.

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Same here: running BOClean and Amon simultaneously on XP without problems, although others have reported some.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am running NOD and BOClean on Win2000 without any problems now that I have placed BOClean in the exclude list of AMON.

I have found that on my system BOClean and NOD do conflict but once BOClean is excluded from being scanned by AMON, all is well.

So the AMON exclude function is working here and I have a very good layered defence.

5. @bok

@bok Registered Member

Running XP Home and Nod with Boclean.....No problems at all!!!

;) @bok

6. claire

claire Guest

Nod +Trojan Hunter

No problems.They work great together :)

7. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Running ME, NOD and Anti Trojan, no probs. ;)

rgds,
    Martin

8. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

What she said :)

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

NOD, NAV and TDS-3. No problems.
    I switch resident back and forth between NOD and NAV.

Regards,

Pieter

10. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hi,

Useing Win98SE NOD32v2 , TDS-3, WG and PE together with no conflicts.

Regards,
    FireDancer ;)

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm running NOD and Trojan Hunter with no conflicts. You should trial TDS-3 and Trojan Hunter before deciding. Plus, there are others to to try. BoClean can't be trialed which I think is a major disadvantage to what I understand is a great program, but I don't purchase anything I can't trial first. Tauscan is another good one and is VERY easy for a beginner to use.

12. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

Well recieved free software, now seeking free advice, the nerve of some people. :rolleyes:
    I'd sure like to know how this is accomplished, like the switching.
    We have NAV Pro now (set to expire in two weeks) and was wondering if Nod32 v2 could simply be installed without any preventative measures. Is it really true that Sygate and Nod32 do not jive well together and if they DO get along do you have to uninstall/disable Sygate firewall before a person installs Nod32, or can you just install normally? I read that NAV is tough to uninstall so I'm thinking of keeping it now because its served us well and has the anti-trojan feature. So I guess the grand plan is to run both.
    I was always under the impression that you could only run one AV, interesting that you can run multiple.
    Our PC has Xp Pro SP1, Sygate FW, IE6, Firewalled router,etc......trying to get this figured out and juggling my options. I thought it would be so easy to win software but its challenging me now. :D
    Don't get me wrong I am very greatful!

TIA, Ray.

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You can use several AV's on the same machine but you can only run ONE Real Time AV Monitor(which appear in the system tray) at any one time.

This is because the Monitors will conflict with each other and produce an unstable system. Therefore you need to choose one as the Primary Scanner( the one that sits in your system tray) and use the others as backup scanners.

1. If you want to install NOD as the primary AV, disable the running NAV Monitor, and shut down as many other programs as possible using msconfig or simply shut them down from the system tray.

Ensure that the NAV Monitor is disabled from loading at bootup( deselect from main Monitor window), then install NOD.

2. If you want to use NAV as your primary AV, disable the NAV Monitor and other programs, then when installing NOD select a custom install and do not select AMON( the Real Time NOD Monitor). Or carry out a full install and simply stop AMON from loading, using the main program window in the Nod Control Centre. As before, stop the NAV monitor from booting up, then enable after startup.

3. See if AMON conflicts with any of your software. If so try the exclude function of AMON. Any reported conflicts maybe machine specific so you may find the combination of NOD and Sygate okay.

4. There is a specific removal tool for NAV which should help in the removal;

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002061016251406?Open&src=&docid=2001120816371506&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

but unless you are thinking of updating in the future to a newer version of NAV, it should be sufficient to simply uninstall the program in the normal way.

Since your NAV license is due for renewal, personally, I would save myself some money by uninstalling NAV, and installing NOD. Although both have excellent ITW virus detection, NOD is blindingly fast in scanning your drive and you will find it much lighter on resources.

And if you are concerned about trojans, as a backup scanner, you can use one of the on-line free scanners, particularly Kaspersky, to keep an eye out for them. Or NOD and a specific AT program would be a much better combination than NOD and NAV.

Good luck.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You cannot always have more than one av on a machine even though only one is the resident scanner and the other is used only as backup. It depends on the avs involved whether you can do this. For instance, Panda Platinum (for which I have a new one year license from their free US promotion recently) will not allow you to have any other av on board. In fact Panda warns you when you go to install it that it has detected NOD32 or PC Cillian 2003 (the ones I tried with it) and then says you must uninstall the av before proceeding. Well, I ignored the warning both times and all heck broke loose. I had no mouse control at all and the computer would boot half way and then freeze and I couldn't get to safe mode.....it was a real mess. I now believe Panda when it says it will not tolerate any other av being on the box even though the other av is not active in any way and is simply there as a back up scanner.

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi RJ100,

Since we got practically the same setup I should be able to walk you through, but please start a separate thread, because we would be going off-topic here. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

16. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

OK Pieter, will do after work. My initial post appogized for intruding on this thread but I somehow lost the post and didn't mention that fact in the previous one. My first intention was to quote what you said about running both AV's and start a new thread. Not sure if that is possible though.
    Thanks Blackcat and Mele20 for those posts, sorry I didn't intent to derail the thread.

Take care, Ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.