NOD32 and Zonealarm

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ed_Spurrell, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_Spurrell

Ed_Spurrell Registered Member

Hi All,
    Just a wild shot here.
    I have been having the "TrueVector" error in my Zonealarm firewall that causes it to put an "X" on my task bar for quite a while now...I am talking from way back about a year ago for sure. It does that several times overnight.
    I have tried many fixes but none seem to fix this bug.
    Seems I am using NOD32 for a few years also I was wondering if any other user here experienced the same problem?
    Maybe it was caused by one of the updated releases from NOD32 and I am looking at Zonealarm for the answers.
    This is just a thought so I figured I would post here also. :)
    Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Ed

2. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

Hi Ed,

I have been using ZA and Nod32 for the last ~4 months and haven't seen this problem. I use ZA Anti-spyware 7.0.337. Which ZA package and version are you having problems with? I have my Nod32 setup using ~ Blackspear's settings. The only other suggestion I can provide is to completely uninstall ZA using the manual directions: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103&query.id=6173#M103

You should download a fresh ZA install file previous to this uninstall. I would also recommend shutting NOD32 modules down prior to the reinstall of ZA. You may have received similar advice on the ZA forums but its the only suggestion I can think of.

3. Ed_Spurrell

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I am currently using v7 but it started quite some time ago in earlier versions.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times and many different ways. I have even formatted several times in the past couple of years. I have also tried both ways like Zonealarm install first and the NOD32 and vice versa. Same error.
    I will look at Blackspears notes and see if mine is the same.
    It is worth a try :)

Ed

4. Ed_Spurrell

The settings are about the same except of a few that I did not want to change that Blackspear indicated was by choice.

Ed

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Ed and Shep:

Sounds like your issue is NOT related to NOD32 at all!

Ed.

Please describe this TrueVector error in more detail, please upload a jpg image of the screen you have when this error occurs. Also what else is running on your PC are you running any other security software? At any time did you have Norton or McAfee AV's running on this PC?

Describe what ZA software you are running? Version , level etc. Is it the free version? Pro or like Shep's?

More detail needed.

6. Ed_Spurrell

Hi,
    When the error occurs again I will do my best to get it word for word and post it here.
    I am currently running a registered ZA PRO 7.0.362 ..the latest. I like ZA it has given me great protection for years. I have been running AnyDVD for a long time also. I am also running µtorrent for a long time.
    It could very well be an update of any of these programs.
    It is very possible that this error has nothing to do with NOD32. I asked here because there may be a slim possibility it may be related.
    I have been running ZA for quite a while now, maybe since version 4.... Also I have been running NOD32 for several years. NOD32 is giving me NO problems at all...works excellent for me. I am currently testing other firewalls on one of the other computers that got the same error.
    This "TrueVector" error has been occurring over a year now popping up several times a day and maybe several times over night. I have tried all the fixes from the ZA forum but with no luck.
    I formatted last month so all is new again. I do that a couple times a year to clean up the trial program I am interested in from time to time.
    I gave up Norton Hog when I bought NOD32 and will never go back lol
    BTW, I always download a fresh copy of my registered programs when I format.
    For the record though...ZoneAlarm has still to this day blocked all intrusions to my computer. Many of my friends have virus and spyware on their computers but mine has been free (knock on wood) ever since Windows XP came out.
    It seems like no one here is experiencing the same as me so I may have to look elsewhere :) which is a good thing....possible one down and several to go ...lol

Greatly appreciate all the help and ideas though.

Ed

7. QuestionX

QuestionX Registered Member

Hi: Ed..have U checked your event logs,maybe a driver didn't load or a FW policy mismatch..the X on mine only pops up when I turn ZA off..Just a thought from a DUMMY..:'(

8. Ed_Spurrell

Hi,
    Wow the first time that I can remember I left my computer running all night and never got an error...not even one. Whats up with that now ..lol
    I will post the error when it pops.
    I forgot to check the ZA log files. I do have them enabled but some are large for the past while so it will take some time to scan down through them.
    If i don't get a chance soon cause I am working long shifts for the next week, I will try to check them if I am here when the next error occurs.
    Thanks for the tip ...that may help a lot.

Ed

9. Ed_Spurrell

Escalader,
    I cannot capture the screen because I do not have a program installed to do that.
    Here is the error;
    TrueVector Service
    TrueVector Service has encountered a problem and need to close.
    Error Signature;
    SzAppName: Vsmon.exe SzAppVer: 7.0.362.0 SzModName: msvcrt.dll
    SzModver: 7.0.2600.2180 offset: 000372e3

I also compressed the two error files it reported if you would like for me to send them to you I can do that. Whichever way you want them send, email etc, ok

Hope this helps

Ed

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi Ed!
    as already mentioned at the ZA forum its a ZA/torrent problem...

See the discussion (vsmon and msvcrt.dll crash) here:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=14524

Next ZA release could finally fix your issue (can't promise though!)
    Meanwhile have you tried to update your torrent client to the latest version?

Cheers,
    Fax

11. Ed_Spurrell

Thanks
    Weird I done searches on ZA forum and didn't strike that one lol
    Thanks for all your help. I will close µtorrent for the night and see what happens...Although I thought I already done that before.
    If that does it then I will swtich p2p programs and see if that helps any.
    I have tried so many things that I can't remember..lol

thanks
    Ed

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Ed: If you have Paint, you have a program that can be used to post the screen shots.

You bring up the error screen click on it, hit Alt>Print Screen keys, then load paint and paste the screen shot into it. Save the file as jpg and up load it to the thread.

You don't need to send me the error reports as I can't do anything with them.

Better try Stem here who is our resident FW expert. Of course ZA TS should be solving this.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are free programs to do this, I use HoverSnap but there are many others.

To your problem. I have not personally seen conflicts between ZA and NOD32, but, saying that, I do not now have NOD "IMON" installed, I found this to conflict with a number of firewalls(I do install very many (well all of them) at some time), certainly when used with server (P2P/torrent) software . With your use of Utorrent, I think you may have a combination of possible problems:-
    1] ZA is not the best of user friendly firewalls for server software (change torrent/p2p software,.... or firewall)
    2] IMON (within NOD) can/does cause problems when certain firewalls/P2P/torrent clients are used (and can cause problems with peerguardian)
    3] you could simply have corruption, and a need for cleanup

Edit,
    Post more info, then I can setup to check

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  14. Ed_Spurrell

Hey thanks guys,
    I have changed to Azureus for now and it seems to have stopped the "TrueVector error. I will continue to use it just to see if it crashes.
    It must have been the µtorrent program seems it didn't crash since.

Greatly appreciate all the advice received here.

Ed

15. Ed_Spurrell

Hi Stem,
    Just an update here.
    I have no errors since I installed Azureus and been testing it all this time.
    So it seems that Azureus is the p2p client I will be using for now.

thank again,
    Ed

16. fax

fax Registered Member

Glad to hear your issue with P2P are solved... ZA developers are working hard on the next release that may solve your torrent issue. Stay tuned...

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.