Nod32 and Windows Media Player (again)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by webbasica, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbasica

webbasica Registered Member

A year ago, I posted this for other users having the same problem:

That was using v2.7 and the extension trick made the issue disappear.
    Today, I installed the v3 of NOD32, and the problem is back. Tried the extensions trick, but this time it didn't solve it.

I excluded both the windows media player exe and its directory, but still, no solution. It is really annoying, because it doesn't happens everytime, you basically need to keep trying to execute video files.

2. webbasica

Avi files when executed (as you know, with WM as default) seem to go 100% on cpu usage. Maybe thats the problem. Files may be too big.

I also did some aditional testing.
    I disabled the following options and still no luck:
    analize on open
    analize on execution

I honestly don't know how to prevent this.

3. kosuke85

kosuke85 Registered Member

I dont know the solution to your problem, I would need more information, but I will say this, it doesn't matter how big the video file is, its the resolution of said video that would affect CPU usage. By what you are saying, sounds like WMP is conflicting with that process in some way. My suggestion? Use a better media player. My media player suggestion? Zoomplayer, Media Player Classic, VLC Media Player, etc. Any one of those players are excellent choices, you have only to choose the proper codecs according to your video playing habits. I would suggest using CCCP. (Google it)

4. webbasica

Thanks for the response. I'm well aware of other multimedia programs, however, I like WMP, so why do I HAVE to choose another?

Update:
    I installed the comodo firewall just to check the whole process (has a pretty good log system), and what do you know, the thing works now. It seems to be an issue with windows trying to connect to the outside everytime you open a file. Perhaps a conflict with the windows firewall?

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Routers work great and are cheap. Perhaps another option to consider?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.