NOD32 and Scheduled Task Wizard

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kniht, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kniht

Kniht Registered Member

NOD32 has been protecting my PC for well over a year now and I have nothing but praise for the software. Blackspear's "Extra settings for NOD32..." not only helped me get the correct settings, but also gave me a better understanding of NOD32 and how it works. Always leave myself open to a better mouse trap, but it would have to be one heck of a trap for me to switch.

Just recently, I decided to schedule a program to run weekly. I brought up the "Scheduled Task Wizard", clicked on "Next", and the Task Wizard locked up.

I have "Process Explorer" running in my sys tray, the window showed 100% CPU usage. I hovered my pointer over the Process Explorer window and it showed NOD32 kernel as the application using 100% CPU. Used Process Explorer to kill Scheduled Task Wizard. Tried using "Scheduled Task Wizard" a couple more times with the same results.

I then unplugged my ethernet cable, went to Services and manually stopped the NOD32 Kernel Service.

I was then able to use the "Scheduled Task Wizard" with no problems.

It may be something in my system causing a conflict with NOD32, or it may be something I'm doing incorrectly, but all in all it's no big deal. At least I know what the problem is and a workaround for it.

I don't always post, but I do visit this forum regularly and haven't read of any problems with Scheduled Task Wizard and NOD32, which makes me think the cause is within my system.

Any ideas?

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hmmm, strange. I have never run into such a problem.

However, you said that you were able to manually stop the NOD32 Kernel Service from Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services. I have *never* been able to do that, even with Administrator privileges. To the best of my knowledge, NOD32 intentionally makes it so that this should not be possible. The fact that you were able to do this at all leads me to believe that there is something strange with your system.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, could you please try the following:

1. Download a fresh copy of NOD32 to your desktop.

2. Uninstall your current version of NOD32 through the Windows Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.

3. Remove the Eset folder from C Drive> Program Files

4. Install the fresh copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above using "Typical" settings when asked.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

4. Kniht

Kniht Registered Member

alglove

NOD32 Kernel can be turned off by double clicking on the NOD32 Kernel Service, which brings up properties. Go to the "Recovery" tab and be sure

First Failure
    Second Failure
    Subsequent Failures

are all set to "Take No Action". NOD32 Kernel Service can then be terminated.
    Of course when I'm finished doing what I have to do, I reset these settings to "Restart Service"

As for your suggestion, Blackspear, I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the replies

5. Kniht

Kniht Registered Member

Blackspear

I disabled AMON and have no problems with the Scheduled Task Wizard.

Maybe this will help point to the problem.

6. Blackspear

After a reinstall?

7. alglove

Kniht,

Wow, ya learn somethin' new everyday. I cannot "officially" terminate the service (either through Services or by net stop) after changing the Recovery settings, but I can kill nod32krn.exe in the Task Manager, which I suppose is what you are doing.

8. Kniht

Kniht Registered Member

Went ahead and tried Scheduled Task Wizard again using the currently installed NOD32 with AMON working.

Took about 90 seconds from the time I clicked on "Next" in the Scheduled Task Wizard for the next window to open allowing me to add programs to the scheduled tasks.

Guess AMON takes it's time checking out the Scheduled Task Wizard.

Kinda figured it wasn't the software. Just didn't give NOD32 time to do it's thing before jumping to conclusions. I like the thoroughness of the scanning. That's one reason I"ve never had an infestation of nasties as long as NOD32 was in my arsenal.

Now it's going to take an even better than a better mouse trap to get me to switch!

Thanks again for the replies.

9. alglove

Ohhh, I just realized you meant Control Panel --> Scheduled Tasks --> Add Scheduled Task. You are right. That does take a long time. I thought you meant the NOD32 Scheduler/Planner. Sorry for the confusion. :p

10. Blackspear

LOL so we were in the same boat, I thought the same :blink: hence the uninstall and reinstall advice :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.