NOD32 and Regcleaner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zak_dashiell, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I am a NOD32 user and quite happy.  I agree the customer support ain't gonna win a Gold medal but their product does perform.  I was challenged in setting up my e mail as it took me about a month.  I too e mailed support and was quite tenacious with the poor gent who responded to my first query.  The communication dragged out longer then it should have since the support gent should have cured my issue in the first 4 e mails.  

Anyway, I too looked for help from another source.  Ya gotta do it.  I live in Los Angeles and I noticed a San Diego phone number for Eset.  I got on the horn and called Eset Friday afternoon.  This would have provided the final resolution as the gent I spoke too had pull at the main office where the tech people are located.

That weekend I contacted Mickey the Man as I noticed he had helped others config e mail.  MTM was very kind in providing me with key info that led to my e mail issue getting fixed.   He was great.  Another kind soul.

Thus, I recontaced the gent at Eset on Sunday night by email and told him by issue had been resolved.   There was no question in my mind that he would have gotten my issue resolved with Eset and quick.  
    Reaching out to touch someone the old fashion way has it's benefits.

I must say SPY1 is the man.  Many kind souls here who help out many.  Amazing how Paul W. gets stuff done.  Another kind soul who goes out of his way to help thousands of folks, me included.

Here is the link to a support location that you might find beneficial.  

http://66.119.216.59/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=39&t=000269&p=

NOD32 is an outstanding AV.  It is worth the coin regardless of their support.

Just caught up on the thread somehow I missed the last 5 posts. LOL.  Oh well.  

Zak, now you need wormguard by DCS.   Due to Klez in the Breeze I am running Wormguard too these days.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

zappa- Thank you for the kind words. Pete

3. zak_dashiell

zak_dashiell Registered Member

hello paul,

in the meantime i'll just put the "floppy formatting" problem on hold... i'll give the eset people a chance to settle down in their new office... i'll just have to make do with disabling amon regardless of the risk involved... if only the eset people can come up with a way to do simple things without disabling amon... hmmn...

for everyone,

would you please help me configure my nod32 pop3 scanner so i'll be able to scan my pop3 as well as my imap mails?  if at all possible?  i am asking a lot from you ladies and gentlemen... sorry but i am just a novice...  :oops:

hello zappa,

""Zak, now you need wormguard by DCS.   Due to Klez in the Breeze I am running Wormguard too these days.""

just like me, you are at the right place to get help for your security problem...

yeah, i've tried wormguard but it causes a lot of conflicts with the apps that i have... i would think again after the program has matured a little... in the meantime, i am happily using tds3 and waiting for tds4 (free upgrade)... of course i heard this great program from the wilders forum... :)  the first time i tried kazaalite (that was yesterday), nod32 caught "benjamin" but it has no way of cleaning it  :( ... just deleting the file associated with it... eset has an update today so i hope nod32 can already clean the virus... no doubt, nod32 is a great AV but it is not perfect and i can live with that...  :D

for everyone,

thanks for all of you... no doubt, i would have dumped my pc and gone back to pen and paper without you....

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hello zak,

Well, as soon as you feel the time is right, email your Eset support contact and cc us a copy.

Frankly, none of our team has ever tried. My calculated guess is, the NOD32 POP3 scanner is purely designed as the name suggests: a "POP3" scanner. Have to look into this one - and others might jump in here as well.

WG4 should take care of possible XP(Pro) problems. IMHO it's "merely" an O/S incompatibility issue; WG3 does work flawlessly on previous Windows versions.

Did you try to clean "benjamin" using the AMON? In cases like these, it's recommend to scan/clean by using the actual (green crossed) scanner. Nevertheless: indeed their are infections that cannot be cleaned without compromising/deleting the associated file. This is no perogative from NOD32 btw; goes for other AVs as well. (On a side note: we do have a small free "Benjamin Cleaner" availabe for free on our "downloads page": www.wilders.org/downloads.htm ).

LOL! Why not keeping your pc and picking up pen and paper as well?

regards.

paul

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand the request. Do you mean for your personal computer? Because on mine, for my POP3 email account (which is all I have on here - Outlook Express through BellSouth) - all I had to do to 'configure' it was click on the NOD32 'envelope' icon in SYSTRAY, click 'Setup' on the screen that popped up and then click 'Auto Config' and that was it. It picked up the account's server (under the 'Re-direct to column) , the port, and told me it was 'listening on' 10500.

What am I missing? Pete

6. zak_dashiell

hello pete,

i use pop3 with my regular mails and IMAP with my work mails on my personal computer at home... yeah, to configure pop3, all i have to do is just click on 'Auto Config' to pick up my regular isp's account but it won't do it on my IMAP account from my company (i chose to bring home some of my work to be with the kids earlier rather than stay longer at the office)... i was just worried that i bring home some of the klez.j that had been rampant at the office... no big deal actually because anyway, amon is active and it will surely catch whatever malfeasance is created by them in my personal computer... i was just more happy if my pop3 AND IMAP mails are under the protection of nod32's pop3 scanner... wouldn't we all?... i was just thinking loudly that if the pop3 scanner  scans pop3 address:110, wouldn't it also scan IMAP address:143 listening on 10500 on the first and 10501 on the second?  ALL of these configured in such a way that my outlook express 6 uses 127.0.0.1 in my personal computer...

and yes, it is MY personal computer... you didn't miss anything...

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I don't have an IMAP account to test with, but I did manually make an entry in the mail scanner for a pop3 acount that I reconfigured to be an IMAP one (althought it doesn't actually receive mail)

To make a manual one, set the incoming server of the account to localhost, and the port to 10510(example, use any port you like), then add an account into the mail scanner and put the server to what is used to be in the email client (mail.example.com) and set the port to the same one (10510 in this case).

That is all the autoconfigure does for you so it that will either work or it won't. I am quite interested to hear your results, so please post back how it goes. It should have no problem connecting, but whether it scans anything or not who knows. Use the log window of the scanner to see if it is scanning anyhting. Perhaps send yourself some eicar test file or something to see if it gets detected.

8. zak_dashiell

hello unicorn,

i had been there, done that although i used port 10501 instead of port 10510... it caused my mail client to hang... "oe6 encountered an unknown error and needs to close... would you like to report blah blah blah..."  i did not use an eicar but had a mail from work that contains the klez.j... it was the amon who caught it... i checked the pop3 scanner's log and all it contains was "Nod for pop3, (c) 2000 by eset s.r.o. (module 1.261 (20020524))"... 0 mail received, 0 attachment scanned, 0 infected attachment...

hello paul,

""LOL! Why not keeping your pc and picking up pen and paper as well?""

thanks for the encouragement... with the frequency of my bsod now a days, i really must use pen and paper to back up hard copies of patients' data just like the old days...  :D my dusty filing cabinet is starting to fill up, though... LOL

need to fill myself up with more caffeine... just like pete, i like pots of good brewed folgers(tm) coffee with a pinch of vanilla put in...  :D  :D  my difference with pete is that i am surrounded by thousands of tea-lovers...

9. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I wish NOD32 did auto configure for me as it would have saved me some time as it appeared it only did the auto configure with Outlook.  I uninstalled Outlook.  It  didn't do the auto setup with my Netscrape PoP3 mail account.   I guess Eset thinks people only use Outlook.  

In the installation guide for Nod it states the setup for Netscrape is configured manually "with one tricky exception".  It only took me about a 60 tries and help from MtheM until I got beyond the trick.  Live and learn.  Then when I lost my drive and reinstalled Nod it only took me 3 tries.  Supertweaker lives.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

zak,

Sorry the hear about those frequent bsod's! Apart from that: nothing wrong with a good old fountain pen  ;).

zappa,

The auto-configure has been designed for the email client most used - and Outlook (Express) still is. One can hardly blame a company to design such an auto-configure for the most widely used email client  ;).

Manual configuration isn't that hard to do, isn't it? Mickey indeed knows the way concerning this.

regards.

paul  

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.