NOD32 and PPTP VPN

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mnemonic1, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnemonic1

mnemonic1 Registered Member

Hello,

I don't know if its a well -known problem, but I could not find a solution to that.

I run Vista Ultimate and after installing NOD 3.0 Antivirus ( I'm on 3.0.669.0 ) I can no longer connect to my company's VPN. I use stanard windows PPTP VPN connection and it just time outs when I try to establish a connection. If I uninstall NOD it will start working again.

I tried playing with different confiugration settings in NOD and disabling all protections, but VPN won't work.

I need to connect to the VPN multiple times a day and I can't unistall NOD every time. Any pointers would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Since a uninstall of nod32 solve the problem it sounds like something with nod32 in your case, but i use Vista and nod32 v3.0.669 as well and have no problems with PPTP. I guess this is not very helpful, but since it works for me i guess this problem is something that doesn't affect everyone. Then it might be harder to reproduce as well for the eset support team.
    Do you have any other security applications installed on your computer like a firewall? You could try to disable the firewall and other security applications you might use to see if that make a difference. I agree that it sounds like a nod32 problem since it only happen when nod32 are installed, but might be worth a try.

3. mnemonic1

mnemonic1 Registered Member

Thanks for reply.

I don't use any software firewalls right now.

I also have Cisco VPN 4.8.02.0010 client installed which works fine and is turned off when I try using windows' PPTP connection. I would imagine though that it installs itself in the network drivers stack somehow and could be affecting other apps.

Regards

4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I have the Cisco VPN client installed as well and seldom use PPTP, but sometimes i have to use PPTP as well and did a test after reading your post just to make sure it's still working.
    But regarding your VPN client the version you use contain beta code for Vista. This is what the release notes from Cisco say about this version of the Cisco VPN Client:
    Even though this client will install on Vista please understand that this
    portion of the code is still in BETA and should be treated as such.

When i was using the Cisco VPN Client 4.8.02.0010 i had WinXP so have no idea if there are any issues with Vista and version 4.8. Now that i use Vista i have the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.03.0560 installed that does not contain any beta code. Using som earlier 5.x versions of the Cisco VPN client i had some minor issues. Version 5.0.03.0560 is the latest release of the Cisco VPN Client and i used it for about one month without any problems. You might want to consider a upgrade of the VPN client even if i'm not convinced that will solved the problem with PPTP.

Gan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.