NOD32 and LG GCC-4240N Combo CD/DVD Drive

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by johnpd, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I have a minor conflict with NOD32 and the generic CD/DVD RW combo drive (HL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4240N I believe made by LG) on my Dell 8200 laptop. Whenever I use Windows Explorer to display a folder which contains a very large file (i.e. 600mb+) on a CD in the drive, my system hangs for several minutes accessing that folder. The Windows shell (Explorer.exe) is consuming most of the CPU cycles. Usually I have to manually shut down my computer snd then reboot it to restore it to normal. I found that if I shut off AMON, I have no problems displaying the folder and accessing files on the folder.

I also have an external (Firewire) SONY DVD burner connected to my system. I have no problems accessing CD's with large files on that drive?

Any ideas as to what might be the conflict between NOD32 and the generic drive?

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

probably no conflict, just AMON scanning - sometimes CD drives are slow to access even by the OS.
    First make sure you scan the disk with the on demand scanner using all scanning/detection methods to make sure it's clean, then try one or more of the following just to determine what method is causing the delay and then you will be more informed to decide what if anything you would like to do as a more permanent solution :-

*Set an exlusion in the AMON detection tab for the extension of the file you have on the CD
    *Disable AMON boot sector scanning on access if it is a bootable CD
    *Disable AMON heuristic or advanced heuristic scanning or both, and depending on the file types you may also wish to try without runtime packers or self extracting archives.

Remember all we're doing at this time is trying to determine what detection/scanning is causing your delay so you can decide what if anything you may wish to do on a more permanent basis.
    HTH :)

3. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

The CD I was having a problem with was a KNOPPIX boot CD. The file it was having trouble with was the KNOPPIX data file (named KNOPPIX) which was about 700mb. When I told AMON to ignore that file, I then had no problem exploring that CD. I tried a number of other options (shut off hueristics), but it made no difference. It was taking about 6 minutes to access the folder containg that file.

I was able to explore and scan the file on the Sony DVD drive without a problem. I guess there maybe some sort of timing issue between the generic drive and NOD32 reading that file? I will have to remember that if I want to explore a CD which might contain a large file, to do it on the external drive.

Thanks

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Thanks for posting back and letting us know :)
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.