nod32 and kav?????

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I will say this . As of today , reviews are not stellar but , I think they are doing a good job . When I first wrote to them and got no response for a couple of days , I got a bit bothered . I posted in here about how I felt the support sucked . WRONG ! He wrote me back in an email . We wrote back and forth about issues . I must say that they will do anything to figure out a problem IF you have one . StormByte bent over backwards to help me . Support is good . I think the program itself is much better the reviews show . Only my opinion but , I hope that helps .

2. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Yet another NOD die hard who can't accept the program isn't perfect. Sad that these people can't handle any criticism about their favourite AV. It is a fact that sometimes eset don't provide updates for a few days. Sometimes I experience server failure despite having the automatic server option selected. Just a fact for me.

I think NOD is great and if I hadn't given KAV a recent try out I wouldn't have even replied to this thread or seen the good points of KAV 5 and I was happily living with the very few 'bad points' of NOD. Anyway I still have a while to go on my licence so I'm not ditching NOD for KAV. I will review nearer the time.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Read my review of ArcaVir 2005 (you'll find it in the second page of the other AV forums i.e. this forum). It caught all the malware I threw at it, but there ARE some that it may miss. It also has a very good heuristics engine, but its slightly behind NOD32.

I love its interface and its features. For me, ArcaVir seems to be the perfect balance between KAV's signature detection and NOD's heuristics.

Its their own engine, and you get daily updates except for weekends, but that might change soon.

If you want ArcaVir without the firewall you'll need to buy ArcaVir and download MKS_Vir 2005 instead. MKS will accept ArcaVir serial keys, and its the same program without the firewall. Also MKS has different colours in its interface, but the layout is the same.

If you live outside North America, its best you go to http://www.arcabit.com for more info on ArcaVir.

Regards,
    Firecat

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The firewall is a separate program. The launch is controlled from the main control center and, as I recall, it is disabled at first start-up after installation. If you don't enable the firewall, it won't be a factor. There should be no need to use mks_vir 2005.

Blue

5. Firecat

Yes that's right...but he asked if it comes WITHOUT the firewall.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Firecat,

Whoops, I missed that nuance. Sorry about that.

The other thing, and I don't know what this means in the long term, but Mariusz has indicated here that the programs will be "totally different" sometime in the future. Just something to consider...

Blue

7. Firecat

Hmm...I'll check up on that. Thanks Blue. Y'see I am a tester so stormbyte might give me a bit more info on that...

8. hollywoodpc

I do not push NOD on anyone . AND , I am not a diehard fan . I know what works . regardless of anything you have to say , your comment on updates is false . Period . That is a fact ! There are plenty of AV programs I have recommended to people that were not NOD . I am talking a fact . You sir , are a liar . I do not appreciate being told that I am a diehard NOD fan . It is good . That is why I use it . If you care to debate the good and the bad , so be it . No problem . It has it's faults . Updating is not one of them .

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

You come on and accuse me of being a liar when you have no evidence to prove that Eset updates are always fine, likewise I have no evidence of my bad experience. All I know is that on average at least once or twice a week I get server connection failure and have to try again. I have also on a number of occasions since using NOD in the last 6 months or so noticed that there are no updates for sometimes 1 or 2 days and I have even witnessed 3 days (before NOD I used NAV2004 which updated once a week, so this never bothered me). It's only since seeing KAV in action that I 'complained' about NOD's updates.

If you go back to my original post on this thread you will see that once a again at the end of my post I reiterated the fact that my post was very much personal perception/opinion.
    Copy of my last sentence: "Again just to re-iterate, my post is very much perception and opinion based and not technical using defined test criteria."

So for me updates are my only real gripe with NOD and to put it in perspective I have only complained about NOD's updates now that I have compared it to it's closest rival which I believe has superior updates.

In hindsight I accept the word 'poor' was maybe a little strong, I therefore retract my statement about NOD's updates being 'poor' and replace it with the word 'temperamental' instead.

10. hollywoodpc

Now I need to try to make you aware of something . When I said something was wrong somewhere , that was meant as me UNDERSTANDING that it was a personal case to you . My apologies for not STATING that I understood . My fault . As for the 3 day interval , I would not be surprised if that happened 6 months ago . As of late , everyday is the norm . Keep in mind too that updates are not as needed with NOD as the AH takes care of alot of that . So , to be clear to everyone , I made the mistake of not being clear in letting you know that I understood it was just a personal case . I knew it had to be . And to let you know , KAV is outstanding . I cannot justify , nor have I ever , steered someone away from it . It is excellent . If it were a bit more compatible , who knows , it may have been my choice . NOD is about to come out with a great improvement over what they have now . Adware , spyware , and riskware will be dtected BEFORE they can install dll s on your machine . This means it could be better than most antispyware programs out now . Only speculation that it will be that good but , surely the potential exists . Hey . Enjoy whatever you use . Try to pick a good one . Not sure what you use but you compared the two best in the business at this point . My opinion and a fact , according to many , MANY tests . Just enjoy . Anf thank you for being a gentleman this time around . I hope we have everything cleared up now . To recap . You like KAV and I think you are stupid to think that way . NOOOOO . Only kidding . If KAV is your chouce , Congrats . You chose wisely .

11. hollywoodpc

choice and detected . Damn . Poor spelling . Geez
    Typed too fast

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You sure do put a lot of faith in Nod, Hollywood, I'll grant that. ;) But if i were you, i wouldn't ditch my resident spywareprotection just yet. :)

13. hollywoodpc

Sorry Don . Could you clarify . I was saying I like KAV and NOD . Resident protection has not been ditched . I think I am not following . I apologize . Please clarify . Thanks

14. hollywoodpc

Ok
    I understand now . Oh NOOOO way ! Not yet . As I stated . It has potential . Never said I was going to throw it on and ditch everything else . You misunderstood but , thank you for warning me in case I was saying that . I do appreciate that . No no . I will wait and test it myself . Just nice to add .

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I agree, it's very nice addition to an already god AV, and also that both Nod & Kaspersky are more than just good, they excel at what they do, if you ask me.
    Let's hope that these two (and a couple of other's, not mentioned here) will see an even bigger crowd of followers, they deserve it. :cool: :)

16. hollywoodpc

I am in total agreement my friend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.