NOD32 and KAV - working in harmony

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Adam, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Guest

I've got NOD32 running AMON and KAV Pro 4.5 with monitoring disabled (e.g. only the Control Center service is running for scheduled updates and daily full system scan - KAV Monitoring service is disabled). I use KAV for on-demand scans, and for the email integration with Outlook (It scans my IMAP account, which NOD32 does not).

Does anyone think the way I have this set up would cause any conflicts? So far it doesn't seem to.

For the record, I have TDS-3 for Trojan-related scanning.

-Adam

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

mmmm, Not, there aren't problems if you aren't running KAV Monitor, but KAVCC use resources.

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Adam,

I removed your duplicate thread, but in that one you had also had an additional comment, which I hadn't seen until now, so I will add it here in my post.

Additional comment by Adam:
    snap

4. adamsfbay

adamsfbay Registered Member

Thanks, Snap. My apologies for the double post, I'll be more careful.

I'm actually not running the Control Centre .exe, just the Control Centre service, which serves as a scheduler only for auto updates and scan runs - I can't imagine it uses too many resources to do just that.

I suppose I could disable it as well, manually update my definitions, and manually start global scans, but some automaticity is nice, and I do have a fast system (3.6GHz P4EE) and very sparse startup services and .exes.

Regarding IMON - since I don't use POP mail, and I have a separate Trojan detector that's memory-resident (TDS-3) what are people's thoughts about going AMON only?

-Adam

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi adamsfbay, double-posts happen to all of us, not to worry. ;)

If I understand your question correctly, you have KAV scanning your emails (so that area would be covered) and NOD's Amon actively monitoring, right? I think with that set up you would be fairly safe. If something were to get past KAV's email scanner, and became active, Amon would then jump on it and alert you to the infected file. And if you have TDS-3's execution protection enabled, then you have the additional coverage there.

I found this link below that may give you more information about IMON and AMON and some member's experience with them which may be helpful:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25528

I use POP3 myself and I have both IMON and AMON enabled, so I am not able to help you too much in regards to another AV's email scanning abilities. There are quite a few members that do use KAV, so hopefully they will see your post and add a comment or two. :)

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.