Nod32 and Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by drkoopz, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

Obviously i'm not trying to bill this as as A vs B thread - however I'm planning to purchase an antivirus within a few weeks, and I need to know which one of these two will fit the bill based on the following criteria

1. Speed and system impact - I have Windows Vista on a relatively low spec system, so i'm looking for something that will keep Vista chugging along smoothly.

2. Spyware/Trojan detection - I believe both Kaspersky and NOD32 have some sort of Anti-Spyware built into their products. Since i'm not going to be running SAS Pro or anything of that nature to save resources, I need it to cover spyware well.

3. Keylogger Protection - Which one of these two has the best luck detecting keyloggers? As is, Keyloggers are one of the more dangerous pieces of malware out there.

4. Long Term Satisfaction - I plan on purchasing a two year license, so I want to know if you guys have bought keys in the past and then found yourself disappointed in the product 6 months to a year later?

5. Lastly, which one is successful at straightfoward detection and removal? I have other people use my computer and if they (shock) downloaded a virus, which AV would properly treat it without 'User A' panicking?
    --

Obviously no product is better than one another. Both Kaspersky and Nod32 have excellent detection rates, so I chose them. I have used Kaspersky 6.0(AOL Active Virus Shield) and i'm currently trying Nod32 v3.0 at the moment.

Note: Feel free to change my mind if another AV seems to fit better, but I will ignore generalized statements. I'm spending money and i'm a cheapskate(years and years of free AVs), so my investment will be well thought out. AKA: I'm not paying attention to fanboy babble. :D

2. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

I am sure, this thread will be closed very soon.

Just try both AV for few days and make your own decision.

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

ESS beta RC is virtually unnoticeable on a 256MB RAM machine. Kaspersky's not bad either, but it's not at Eset's level when it comes to resource usage.

I know of no credible tests that rate AVs for spyware detection, but as far as trojans go, AV-C indicates that Kaspersky scores higher. Kaspersky also beats NOD32 by virtue of their lightning-fast response time to new malware and an integrated behavior blocker module that is much more reliable at catching unknown malware and keyloggers than NOD32's heuristics. KAV7 has heuristics of its own, and its rumored that they'll be vastly improved in the upcoming v8.

Both have been fine with me.

A word of caution with Kaspersky here: the behavior blocker is likely to send newbies panicking if they don't take the time to learn what it does and what the alerts mean. That aside, both are unlikely to cause panic, unless the user is one of those twitchy types who jump at any alert window.

PS: I remember KAV6 had a "virus detected" alert noise that sounded like a pig being slaughtered. Wonder if they've fixed this with v7, if not, might be a good idea to turn off the sounds for elderly people with heart problems.

4. drkoopz

I used a criteria, I gave a reasoning and i'd rather hear from people who have used both Nod32 and Kaspersky extensively and not just based on my tests (which I am doing as well). There is such thing as a healthy comparison.

5. drkoopz

(Solcroft) - So far so good. I'm actually caught in the middle based on your results. Kaspersky has been improving steadily, have you heard anything on Nod32 v3.0? It's in beta. I should probably look around to see what's new.

6. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i will advice u to wait untile eset smart security will be ready , coz its just beta now
    wait few weeks then i can tell you if nod32 good or not good
    any way kaspersky internet security very good and its light on my pc.
    u can try avira antivir premium its very good too and its light on the pc.

u can try all of this programs free 30 days or 90 days free for antivir premium.

good luck

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

One member's list of unsubstantiated recommendations removed in accordance with this recent General Policy Statement.

Regards

Menorcaman

8. solcroft

Unfortunately, it seems that Eset has said that there will be no groundbreaking improvements for the scanning/heuristics engines associated with v3. Detection rates should be identical with NOD32 v2.7, the changes I've noticed so far seem to be cosmetic, and the inclusion of firewall/antispam with the suite.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am very fond of the the pig "squeal" which is still there in KAV 7.

10. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Actually, what's happening with Kaspersky Heuristic. Few months ago people talked that they will improve a lot their heuristic in the upcoming version 7, now we are talking about version 8. Have they improved heuristic at all in the version 7?

11. solcroft

v6 had no heuristics whatsoever. v7 heuristics seem to be emulator-based, with perhaps the same rulesets used by the PDM - Trojan.Generic vs Heur.Trojan.Generic :D

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think Version 8 for beta will be released next week.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Kaspersky educates us to take special care of animals :D Sound "DO NOT DO LIKE THAT" :D

Seriously , can't this sound be disabled from the menu ?

14. drkoopz

I just cleaned out Nod32 and put in a trial of Kaspersky. So far so good, though it does use more system resources than Nod32. Then again Nod32 is so light I keep thinking that it must not be working.

Things to note so far:

Kaspersky's interface is full of clutter compared to Nod32 3.0 beta. However the detection and removal of viruses is a tad bit more user friendly with Kaspersky. However the pig sound is a little bit over the top, haha.

This is going to be a tough purchasing decision.
    --

It seems to me from everyone's opinion, is that Kaspersky has a deeper detection of malware than Nod32. It's also noted that the Heurustics in Kaspersky is still a bit immature. How does that compare to Nod32? Sometimes having a more powerful heurustics engine can be more useful than a better signature database.

15. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

That's why I'd go for Nod32 and sure version 3.0, it's a very vast improvement compared to version 2.7, but........it's still beta.
    To get the proper configuration, there's a xml file available for the 'best' settings!

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

how is it improved?

17. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Three more unsubstantiated posts removed. Come on guys, play by the rules otherwise ankupan's prediction in Post #2 will come true (i.e. the thread will be closed).

Menorcaman

18. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

speed, configuration, gui etc.

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Cleaning ability is apparently much improved and the speed of updating has definitely become faster. IME, on dial-up it appears as fast as Dr Web in updating now!

Overall package, compared to nod 2, seems better to me.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

other than the gui, i didnt notice any difference. o_O

has any of the core features been improved?

edit: better removal.... ok, 1 thing, but only time will tell i suppose on that.

it just looks like a new 'jacket', one which i think isnt as good.

21. dNor

dNor Registered Member

No noticable difference in anything other than the GUI here, which I don't like as much as v2.7's.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky V8 wont be out for a while yet since the alpha testing hasnt even started yet.
    but kis7.0 MP1 will be out soon.
    lodore

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Could have sworn I posted in this thread.

1 NOD32

2 - 5 KAV

24. solcroft

Not if AV-C is anything to go by.

Besides, NOD32's powerful heuristics and slow response time just can't beat Kaspersky's ungodly response, behavior blocker, superior database AND decent heuristics, at least as far as detection is concerned. Eset has good heuristics, but not good enough to make up for the company's sluggish attitude when it comes to adding new malware to their database and beat Kaspersky.

25. drkoopz

You did but it was deleted. You shouldn't be posting scant replies like this because it isn't helpful to me, and it will end up getting the thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.