NOD32 and Kaspersky (working) together?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by usnuli, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usnuli

usnuli Registered Member

Hi.
    I'm a NOD32 user for a year now and I'm pretty much satisfied with it. Still, I’d like to try to use Kaspersky AV for on-demand scanning. I was wondering whether this is even possible! I’ve already tried to install Kasperky AV 6 (and to disable its real-time scanner in “custom settings”) but it refused to install saying I should uninstall NOD32 firs. Is there any way of bypassing this “stubbornness” of Mr. Kaspersy? :)
    Thanks

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you want to go in this direction, try the KL online scanner as a secondary check as desired.

Blue

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

First of all , let me start that what you'd like to do is completely unnecessary . NOD32 is more than enough to protect you - as you have noticed it offers extremely fast and light scanner proved to be excellet , marvelous heuristics , etc.

If you want to you can use another software to back-up NOD32 , I mean antispyware software (SuperAntiSpyware,Ad-Aware,Spybot S&D , AVG AS , Ewido Micro ....) or free online scanner (such as Kaspersky , Panda , Ewido , Symantec ... ) but a whole antivirus is not necessary .

Still , there is a way you can install both and run KAV as only on-demand (although I strongly not recommend this)

You need to uninstall NOD32 first .Reboot . Delete its folder (ESET) from C:\Program files . Now get Kaspersky Antivirus and install it . Don't forget to disable all kind of its real-time protection . Then install NOD32 and update it . Now you can have NOD32 in real and on-demand time and KAV as on-demand only .

4. rothko

rothko Registered Member

agree with HiTech_boy, sounds like overkill to me. I tried installing Kaspersky along with NOD32 some time ago (the thread of me learning my lesson is on here somewhere), I'd go with the Blue's suggestion for sure.

5. usnuli

usnuli Registered Member

OK. Now I see it was a bad idea. Thank you for warning me before I did something really bad to my machine. I love NOD32. It is wonderful. But, I was curious. :) Now, I see that I may use Kaspersky’s online scan and avoid any danger having two AVs installed at the same time.
    Regards
    Usnuli

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Also, you have free on-demand scanners like BitDefender 8, Dr. Web CureIt, F-Prot DOS, ClamWin. Antivir PE Classic can be installed as an on-demand scanner too.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes i agree, the above can all be used as a backup.

nod32 and kaspersky on the machine is a definate NO-NO from me,

dont even try it, even though hi-tech has told you how its done, he also did mention is concern in NOT DOING IT, so dont be stupid please :)

take your pick and stick with it :D

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Agree with HiTech_boy... dont be so paranoyd, both are great AV products and have impressive detections, only need one running, the advantage of having NOD+KAV (a little more malware detection because of HUGE overlap in detection) does not sufficiently outweigh the disadvantages of having NOD+KAV (slow-down).
    Just stick to one AV and on-demand scans using free online AV scanners once a month or 2

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree with both Dawgg and Hitech boy
    if you read the av comparitves report you will notice that the two engine antiviruskit (AVK) has only a tiny bit extra of detection over just using kav and or bitdefender seprately and same with nod32.
    why have a slower system with more problems for around 1percent extra detection.
    lodore

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I currently have nod32 installed alongside the new za+av. I have nod32 set for http scanning only and za's kaspersky av for on access scanning. So far no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.