Nod32 and jv16 Power Tools 1.3

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by minacross, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I have Nod32 V.2 as my on-access scanner, when I double-click on the "jv16 Power Tools 1.3" shortcut, the computer freezes and it takes 70 seconds for the program main panel to show up..
    If I change the on-access scanner to any othe AV - Avast4 or eTrust 7 promo for example - the progam works just fine.. o_O
    anyone having the same problem?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've run this precise combination (NOD32 fully on, start jv16 Power Tools 1.3) in the past with absolutely no problems. Since I now run NOD32 in an on-demand state, I can't comment on how they currently play together in this state, but they did coexist well in the past.

Do you have standard or deep heuristics selected? Have you tried dropping a level, if deep is selected, to see if this is the cause?

Blue

3. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Deactivate AMON when you use JV16.
    Then everything runs fine :)
    Regds.
    Ole

4. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

:Dsame old problem different day!! ;)
    hopefully will be fixed in the next update?? ;)

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

FWIW, I use JV16 with AMON active (just a half-hour ago, as a matter of fact). No problems. Wish I could offer an you a suggestion. :(

6. sig

sig Registered Member

Others have reported similar problems in the past with this and Regcleaner by the same author. The exclusion in Amon reportedly works for some programs which Amon hangs if you use DOS file names if I recall correctly. At the moment I can't find the thread where a poster discovered this for himself and posted it for others.

The other option as noted is to deactivate Amon while you are using jv16 Power Tools.

7. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

I uninstalled Nod32 v2 a while back (around July 2003) due to apathy regarding fixes to many quirks despite repeated attempts to "help" ESET see the issues as important, i.e. inability to identify viruses and deal with them inside archives (see Radicalb21's latest - I joined him on that one back in June, to no avail), the issue with the exclusions not working properly as you have noticed, etc. I reinstalled today to see if things have changed much...nope.

Anyway, the workaround (a method you will have to get used to if you stick to NOD32) for the exclusions is, as the previous poster mentioned, achieved by using DOS short file names. A tool available to help you with creating short names from the long names is here:

Ninotech Path Copy 4
    Site: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1527.html

FanJ and Vampirefo (indirectly) provided this info in the following thread:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13098

One tip that I found useful: include both the long path name and short path name for JV Tools and you will get maximum exclusion without resorting to excluding the entire folder (if you watch AMON as JV Tools is loading, you'll notice that both the short and long file name are "scanned").

Example of exclusion (I chose exclude file from the AMON options then I pasted this):

D:\PROGRA~1\JV16PO~1\JV16PO~1.EXE
    D:\Program Files\jv16 PowerTools\jv16 PowerTools.exe

Of course, the first path is the short path and the second is the same path shown in long form. Without both (on my machine anyway), JV Tools loaded faster but not as fast as with both excluded. This method may prove useful for other exlusions as well.

Good luck.

8. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

RegCleaner isn't it? No problems here either. ;)

9. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

I just re-read my post and thought I needed to clarify that the short path and long path are two separate entries in the (file) exclusion box.

Short path is one (file) exclusion entry:
    D:\PROGRA~1\JV16PO~1\JV16PO~1.EXE

Long path is another (file) exclusion entry:
    D:\Program Files\jv16 PowerTools\jv16 PowerTools.exe

The way I wrote it in the previous post may have given the impression that it was one pasting operation creating one exclusion entry. I'm sure you had it figured out but just wanted to be extra-sure.

10. dom424

dom424 Registered Member

I am running NOD32 and jv16 power tools 1.3 with no problems on either computer, xp pro and 2k pro. What OS are you using?

11. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Win98SE :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.