NOD32 and "Internet Download Manager"

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by profhsg, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I use Internet Download Manager as my download manager. Like most of its kind it has a provision to invoke an antivirus program to scan a downloaded file. It asks for the path to the file and any command line parameters. When I just specify the path to NOD32.exe, upon download the scanning window will pop up and indicate the file is scanned. If, however, I specify any command line parameters, NOD32 will not come up and the downloaded file will not be scanned by NOD32 (Yes, I realize IMON is scanning, but because download managers are supposed to be set for maximum compatability in IMON, it can miss some malware. For example, some of the Eicar test files will not be picked up by IMON if downloaded with a download manager)

My question is, what profile is being used by specifying NOD32.exe without any command line parameters. Is it one of the profiles in NOD32's on demand scanner? Is it simply the command line defaults (which are indicated by bold print in the glossary of command line commands in the NOD32 manual)?

Does anyone use Internet Download Manager with NOD32, and if so do you have any command line parameters specified in the IDM options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

No comand parametres. Just the nod.exe scans the downloaded file. U dont have to worry so much as your IMON scans the files that u download. I suppose that it scans the files using the settings of the 'run on demand scsnner'.

3. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I use reget which has the same ability to scan files using an AV program, I could not get any switch to make it work with NOD32 that did not leave the program on the screen.

I then tested Nod's ability to capture an infected file and found that NOD will not permit any infected file to be downloaded using either windows download or other third party program, certainly reget.

The bottom line is you don't have to worry about it! nod32 will inspect the file before you try to download it, if it is infected you'll either get the warning message or it will disconnect from that action depending on how you have nod set up. :p

4. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I did a little experiment that leads me to suspect that without command line switches my download scanning capabilites are degraded. I downloaded the eicar test file "virus" in its .zip form. When I downloaded through my download manager, both IMON and NOD32 did not find anything. When, however, bypassed Internet Download Monitor and used Firefox's native downloader, IMON picked up the test virus immediately before any download could take place. I have Firefox set for maximum efficiency, whereas, my internet download manager is set for maximum capability. Well, I guess it's back to Get Right Pro, which does allow me to utilize the command line parameters.

5. zashita

zashita Registered Member

Hi profhsg,

Take a look at this post
    With a download manager, IMON can't scan your files, AMON will do this. The problem is the same than with encrypted files :)
    And if you scan downloaded files with Nod32 command line scanner, be sure it is setup to scan archives too :D

Regards

6. Stephanos G.

Are you sure? Did you checked this/? When i go home i will check it.

7. zashita

Hi Stephanos,

This is my analyse ....
    IMON will scan what he can, but as a dowlonad manager split files in some parts, IMON will not ba able to scan all. Of course, if in one part IMON catch a threat, it will show it and stop it. But in a zipped file , IMON can't look inside, because all file need to be downloaded first to be able see what is inside, and as the download is done by the download manager, IMON will not scan it at the end, and AMON no more as it don't scan archives :)

But maybe I am wrong ..... :D

8. Stephanos G.

I will check it tonight although i hate this app. It was my worst purchase and i dont use it at all.

9. zashita

LOL
    And of course, I am sure you will, as usual, let us to know the results of your investigations ;) :D

10. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

True but just try to open that zip and you can't, nod will not let you it'll either delete the file or send to quarantine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.