NOD32 2.7 and Vista - Anti Stealth Technology

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kielty, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco_CH

Marco_CH Registered Member

any news on that? As long as this isnt resolved NOD32 is by far not vista compatible - at least only in a limited mode

2. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Marco
    To my understanding, the install on XP appears to be different from the install on Vista.
    http://www.eset.com/download/manuals.php
    If you have a look at the install manual, it seem to suggest that you use "expert" or "advanced" when doing the install on Vista to get the functionality of the context menu to work (reference page 24) by giving it administrator permissions.
    As far as I know (no flaming please), you can't do a shortcut and properties, advenced to run as administrator, it will not work as intended.
    IMHO you need to "uninstall" NOD, then "re-install" (using expert or advanced), then everything should work as in XP.
    When posters refer to the "icon" that you need to change the properties, I think they are reffering to an install under expert/advanced which places the icon on your desktop (refer to page 24 in the above manual)
    P.S. If you change the compatibility mode, to XP, I don't think it will work either.
    Cheers :)

3. grnemo

grnemo Registered Member

Doesn't help unfortunately...just did it! Where does the command for the integrated scan command resides? At registry? What can we do to give full access to nod32?

I opened a thread for this matter some hours earlier. Mods you can merge it with this if you agree.

Thx, cheers!

4. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    Have you managed to follow the instructions on page 24(in the manual), then you can right click the icon on your desktop and choose "run as administrator"?
    In message #10 (in this thread) the OP "TRJAM" seems to have it working, so maybe he can return and tell you how he got it to work.
    P.S. I am not using NOD at the moment, but I will be re-installing NOD in a few days.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  5. Marco_CH

Marco_CH Registered Member

thanks for the help :)

this is no flame but as long as NOD is that complicated in getting to work ill switch to the freeware avira which will release on april 10th the new vista compatible scanner which has rootkit detection stuff included. seems to be a very interesting program.

its a pity tho because i still have a valid nod license - i think it will end in august or september. i hope eset releases soon a 100% compatible version where i dont have to do complicated installation settings.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Let'a take any other product discussion to a more appropriate forum Please.

Also....since a posts contents were edited out by a member....the resulting post by another member was left mute. Both have therefore been removed.

Thanks,
    Bubba

7. grnemo

grnemo Registered Member

I have sent a report at ESET. They are trying to reproduce the error as they said....

8. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I am not trying to go against the TOS.
    Has this anommaly been rectified or addressed? (I know, someone from ESET mentioned to turn off UAC)
    I am not in acceptance of turning off UAC, hence my bringing up the issue again.
    Thanks

9. grnemo

grnemo Registered Member

To keep you informed about the response I received for my matter they said that this is a normal feature of Vista and that they can't do anything about it, they didn't say If they are planning something at future release, or some special precaution that we should take care during the installation.
    They said that when running NOD32 scanner from context menu we don't get MBR scanned as well as antistealth is not activated, but I don't necessarily need to scan MBR when scanning files/folders from context menu (although it is checked by default in the profile).
    There is similar situation with antistealth: it is not inevitable to have it activated in NOD32 scan (when run from context menu).
    They did make it clear that when we are suspicious about rootkit present in our system we rather run in depth analysis.

However, If someone suffers from the same, and finds a proper resolution at this matter please feel free to share it with us!!!
    :thumb: :thumb:

10. fredra

fredra Registered Member

This is VERY interesting indeed o_O
    I got a different response from them.
    I was told that I should UNinstall and REinstall NOD, as this could be caused from a corrupted download.
    Their instructions included the caution of making sure that my ID and pswd is absolutely correct.
    When I have time within the next few days, I will follow their instructions and add any changes (if any) to this thread.
    That is assuming that I am not going against any TOS :p

11. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

That is normal, you may get different responses depending on how you reported your case and/or who deals with your case.

I still have an issue with the 'Vista Certified' thing, even the Windows Explorer in Vista has no classification for NOD 32. That is not a big deal but I want to see where Microsoft is going.

12. grnemo

grnemo Registered Member

Again, Happy standby-ing ppl ...

13. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I've also got this "problem" and send an mail to Eset about it.

I also send Eset a detailed instruction on how to reproduce the error.

To view the instruction choose either the Word version or the PDF version:

MS Word version: example_of_nod32_error.doc
    Adobe PDF version: example_of_nod32_error.pdf

I hope they come with some kind of fix.

14. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

An easy to follow guide to reproduce your issue.

Just out of curiosity, what did Microsoft say?

15. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Hmm, well I didn't send the mail to Microsoft, only to Eset. I have no reply from them yet. You think I should send it to Microsoft to?

16. NOD32 user

My feeling is that it may be advantageous to do so for several reasons and I'd certainly be interested to hear their response if you did.

17. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I seem to have some difficulties locating an e-mail adress to which I can send emails which can include pictures and attachments.

All I can find are standard support forms to supply suggestions and questions, but in those forms I can't include pictures or attachments.

I saw another option for paid email support, but that costs about $86 per question o_O

The logical option would be something like support@microsoft.com, but that's just a guess.

Any ideas?

18. NOD32 user

How about providing them with a link to your post, or a link to your document?

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ denniz

Hi !
    This is well-known as you may have noticed (lots of posts here about this) . Eset are aware of this but I am sure they are not taking any special precautions because it is not that important .

If you run nod32 to perform full scan within account with Administrator privilages Anti-Stealth technology will run properly with no limitations . Because of UAC and the other new security feautures in Vista , these functions cannot run that way within Standart account .

As I said they are not important because people generally run a context-menu scan to scan simply an archive/folder/set of files . When running Full computer scan Anti-stealth technology will be active to search for active rootkits . It is also active in AMON .

There are many way to contact them , they are not that unreachable as it looks like . You can start seeking information about telephones and emails here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

20. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

If it activates anti-stealth in amon and on full scan, then explain me why it cant activate it on the context scan? If UAC is the problem, amon and full scan too should not work with anti-stealth.

21. NOD32 user

It has to do with the parent process or method of execution depending.
    AMON is executed in the context of the kernel service, full scan is launched in one of a variety of contexts depending on how it is initiated but the context menu is launched in the context of the logged in user by default and that is where UAC comes in...

22. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

23. gjmveloso

gjmveloso Registered Member

Any official notice about MBR sector error false alert in all on-demand scanning methods in NOD32?

24. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Yeah I went there, but there is no direct email link that opens up a window in Outlook, just online forms only. But I already send an email to Microsoft to a link I found within Windows Vista itself and copy/pasted the place where they could view the attachement.

As fas as a reaction goes, I've gotten no reaction yet whatsoever from both Eset and Microsoft.

Interesting link, I'll have a look at it.

25. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Well people, I still got no reaction from Eset or Microsoft, and I don't think I will be getting an answer.

To bad, sad but true! :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.