NOD32 2.5 - Comments & opinions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! does(even without P2P Shield),Kaspersky does,AntiVir does,Norton does and so on and so on...
    It's nothing new. Part files are not encrypted or compressed. They are just temporar file until complete file is downloaded. But if AV detects bad code in it before it's completed it simply interupts the download and cleans the file.

2. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I thought with the beta version you were going to be able to use more than one update server for mirrors. I don't see this option.

3. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Re: New Command-Line Params Not Working

Now you have done a clean install, are you still seeing an increase in the amount of CPU time used by nod32krn.exe?

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Re: New Command-Line Params Not Working

Yes :(

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

What about the licence keys?

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so far this new nod has ( i went trojan hunting on my test machine) picked up many various trojans and seems to be doing very well in this area now. we will have to wait and see officially though

7. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

That's fine, but is it ok with you that I praise NOD32 2.5, even though it's nothing new, being that this is only a comments & opinion thread? Forgive me if I mistook your post as being overly critical of my post. I was just happy to see it doing it's job.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Registered Member

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is working for me and shows when you get an update also.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

lynchknot,all i'm saying is that we're talking here about NOD32 2.5 beta and not pre 2.5 versions.

11. lynchknot

RejZoR, I am using beta. I can read.

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/1442/beta6fb.jpg

12. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Works here too and I rather like it, along with just about everything else I have found in 2.5 In fact, this is so good, I am wondering why it is a beta.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But even if you're using 2.5b you're refering to old versions on Jotti and VirusTotal.

14. lynchknot

grrr. I was only using online virus scans to verify NOD32 beta's worm findings! ;)

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I too was looking forward to the bubble notification.. it's not in the beta? (I haven't had a chance to see it update yet)

As much as I did resist it before, I do think it should be a minor thing to have a tab on the setup with 3 easy selections for "high" "normal" and "power saving" to easily set the protection settings. This would save a lot of us a fair amount of time when installing NOD32 for someone. Personally I would be more in favor of 3 radio buttons rather than a slider, however.

I also think that all that would really need to be done to make the UI a little more friendly is have the titlebar descriptions under the module name in the graphical header, ie just put "Internet Monitor Module" under the heading for "IMON" It's a small thing, but I think it would go a long way as people (myself included) don't always think to look at the titlebar.

16. Alec

Alec Registered Member

No, it's in the Beta. Not sure why it apparently didn't work for Gizmo. It does a balloon right after a successful update, and it does a Tooltip with the virus signature database version when you hover the mouse over the tray icon.

[EDIT: One nitpicky thing... I would slightly prefer the Tooltip if you left out the lengthy "Version of the virus signature database:" part. That is, if you just had "NOD32 Antivirus" with "1.1042 (20050331)" underneath. The other verbiage might be sort of helpful to newbies, but after a day or two I think most people would come to understand exactly what the version number was referring to.]

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Very cool, the only update I've gotten since installing was while I was sleeping. Thanks :)

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Couple minor glitches: It didn't save my email address in the "advanced warning system" from when it entered it during install, and it didn't save the "actions" settings in the on-demand scanner after installing (this is ok because I wanted to change them back, but still..)

19. Gizmo

Gizmo Registered Member

Thanks for reply's. I will try to look at bubbles on next update :)
    But right after install and restart of NOD32 v 2.50.2 Beta NT Slovak vesion it has been updated to latest defs. with classical (no bubble) message.

20. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I cannot run Drive Image 7.x while AMON is enabled - machine locks up so tight I have to switch off the power; disabling AMON sorts this out. Tried excluding Drive Image 7.x directory using long and 8.3 names but it made no difference, lock up happens just the same. Drive Image doesn't even appear before the lockup occurs.

This was not an issue in previous versions of NOD32 2.x

Disabling AMON before running Drive Image is not a hardship, just reporting what I'm seeing (I am also sending these little reports to beta25@eset.sk )

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes it does the bubbles at the tray upon update i confirmed this when i uninstalled the previous version then when i reinstalled it did update. i like it very much so far

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i noticed that in IMON, only the server compatibility list can be edited. we need to be able to edit the client list like for example if we uninstall a program thats listed there. and secondly, after rereading this thread and checking NOD32, i just noticed the lack of adjustable heuristics. why is this so?

23. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I saw no bubble at updates...so it must be that we uninstall the old version after all :(

And to others who asked this: as far as I know the betas are distributed in just a few languages, as opposed to real releases!

24. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I don't see how NOD32's balloon tips could be working on some systems, and not others. It just doesn't seem like one of those things that would be at all likely to vary by system.

In order to see balloon tips at all, you need to make sure that the EnableBalloonTips DWORD value under the registry key:

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    ...is either set to 1, or not there at all. If EnableBalloonTips is set to 0, you won't see balloon tips.

A MSKB reference

This option is also present in TweakUI, under Taskbar and Start menu, named Enable balloon tips.

25. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Thanks for this help...my mistake.. The balloon tips were disabled **blush mode** :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.